Author Topic: My Secret Weapon Revealed!  (Read 4124 times)

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
My Secret Weapon Revealed!
« on: November 30, 2006, 04:06:05 PM »
Okay... now this isn't a HUGE secret, but I wanted to share a tool with you guys that I use a LOT! It's probably not what one would expect as a modeling tool, but here it is:

Mill Bastard Metal File

Cheap, readily available, etc... Great for filing glued seams and flash on flat parts. It leaves a very smooth finish too! I never have to sand after I've used this tool.

It's pretty big and I have a few larger sizes as well. The thing I use it for the most is with scratchbuilding. It's great for beveling edges since it has such a large surface area.

I was given these by my father-in-law and never expected to use them for modeling. I was just using it to sand down some flash and nubs on the upper arm of an MG Gp03. I've been using these for a few years now. Very handy!

Anyway, it's cheap so get yourself one and try it out! Get a wire brush too for cleaning out the plastic/putty dust and build-up.
Rust is beautiful.

Whale Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:24:36 PM »
"Bastard" filler?  Interesting name, will look into it :lol:

mtomczek

• paid by the force
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Re: My Secret Weapon Revealed!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 04:57:01 PM »
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
Okay... now this isn't a HUGE secret, but I wanted to share a tool with you guys that I use a LOT! It's probably not what one would expect as a modeling tool, but here it is:

Mill Bastard Metal File

Cheap, readily available, etc... Great for filing glued seams and flash on flat parts. It leaves a very smooth finish too! I never have to sand after I've used this tool.

It's pretty big and I have a few larger sizes as well. The thing I use it for the most is with scratchbuilding. It's great for beveling edges since it has such a large surface area.

I was given these by my father-in-law and never expected to use them for modeling. I was just using it to sand down some flash and nubs on the upper arm of an MG Gp03. I've been using these for a few years now. Very handy!

Anyway, it's cheap so get yourself one and try it out! Get a wire brush too for cleaning out the plastic/putty dust and build-up.

I use that same file as well, and it works most excellent!

Oliphont

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 06:02:52 PM »
Im not sure if metal files follow the same grit labeling as sand paper, but (about) what grit would u consider it?

mrmaigo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 06:33:45 PM »
Thats some good stuff :razz: