Author Topic: Stickers!  (Read 4301 times)

November 26, 2006, 04:35:24 AM
Read 4301 times

thegreatsze

• Information
    • View Profile
Now, we all know to stay away from these ...

BUT there MUST be some times when they are appropriate. I will start the ball rolling: when they are to be placed into an indented area such that their "seams" are no longer visible (eg. the legs of the Palace-Athene).

But in terms of long-term durability: do stickers inevitably curl up and die, even with coats and coats of future + topcoat?

And for that matter, are decals really all that immortal?

Thanks in advance!

November 26, 2006, 06:04:06 AM
Reply #1

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Decals are more permanent, because once they dry, they typically stay in place.  They are also thinner than stickers, so it's easier to keep the decal in place through coats of future, etc.  With stickers, I've seen the adhesive be affected by temperature, and get weaker as it gets hotter.  Then again, I've also seen the stickers get stiffer as temperature decreases, so there are always forces that can affect how your decals adhere to the surface...

November 26, 2006, 07:53:12 AM
Reply #2

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Stickers are crap and should not be used ever. There are ways of cleaning up seams no matter where they are. Even for eyes and lenses there's better alternatives. I have piles of unused stickers from almost every kit I've ever done.

November 26, 2006, 06:58:51 PM
Reply #3

thegreatsze

• Information
    • View Profile
ah. by "seams" i meant the edges of the STICKERS themselves, rather than any seams on the models (which should be rightly removed via many many many hours of sanding).

November 27, 2006, 09:17:52 AM
Reply #4

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
The problem with sickers is that they are made with, paper, mylar, or foil is that the edges will tear, even with lots of laquer or future. Stickers are just to much trouble, especially with Gundams, since so much work goes into making one, I hate ruining the model with a poorly designed sticker.

Like Fulcy and Fichtenfoo posted above, I would stay away from stickers all together, if you need to get a metallic or high gloss effect, I would airbrush them on to your model, you can use very narrow painter's or masking tape to out line the design.

It looks better than stickers, and lasts longer.

Fulcy and Fichtenfoo...

Guys, sorry to see you Steelers got shut-out on Sunday  :cry:  both of our teams aren't doing so well this year...  :cry:
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

November 27, 2006, 11:02:42 AM
Reply #5

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
I believe the question is pointed towards placing a sticker into an indented area.  For example, say there is a square indention.  If the modeler were to cut the sticker such that it is the same size and shape as  the indentation, what kind of long term effects would result from using a sticker as opposed to a decal.

Most of the reasons people stay away from stickers is the thickness and "sticker" look.  But I do believe that there should be no problems with using a sticker inside an indented area.  The problem is that not many kits have indented areas that benefit with a decal placed there.

But interesting question about if the "sticky-ness" of a sticker goes out over time.

In my experience, stickers require just too much work to make them look as good as a comparable waterslide.  I'm sure you can probably lightly sand down the edges of stickers and make them look really good, but again, more work than it is worth.

November 27, 2006, 10:55:23 PM
Reply #6

thegreatsze

• Information
    • View Profile
wow. everyone on these forums is so articulate.

well, since i've more or less screwed up my palace-athene, i'm going to leave the stickers in the indented areas. i'll get back to you guys in 5 years' time on the long-term durability of stickers. FF, please keep these forums running till then!

:)

November 27, 2006, 11:54:32 PM
Reply #7

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
If you are willing to risk repainting that part, you could try using a cotton swab and some lacquer thinner, and gently rub the sticker off. It will take time, and patience, but the sticker will eventually come off, you will also have to remove the glue from the sticker that is left behind.

But since lacquer thinner is really strong, you run the very real risk of damaging the paint on your model.

If you are desperate you could try this, but I do not recommend it.
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

November 28, 2006, 06:23:54 AM
Reply #8

T1000

• Information
    • View Profile
Stickers? Hmm..

Until today I am still very upset by the fact that the PG Strike and the Sky Grasper comes only with STICKERS!!! For such a high price, for such a detailed kit, they HAVE to provide stickers to ruin your day!!  :mad:

Oh yeah stickers.. I hate them to the bones. I am a very particular person when it comes to decals and stcikers. I could and would polish my kit (now that I learned) with compound after gloss coat, just for applying of decals. Then I would flat coat it again.

Why?

Becos only by doing that, the decals can be applied on VERY easily without silvering!! There is no way stickers can do that! NO WAY!!
 :roll:

So get those stickers out of my Elite Uncaring Face!!  :razz:

November 28, 2006, 06:31:41 AM
Reply #9

lekkertakkies

• Information
    • View Profile
I was an idiot in my younger days (this year :)

I applied micro sol and micro set to the stickers on my PG strike and I thought, "What the hell, this stuff doesn't work, it looks like c**p"