Author Topic: Flight Recon Type (Fomerly Night Recon Kampfer)  (Read 5911 times)

November 18, 2006, 05:42:27 PM
Read 5911 times

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
So I found my way to Peck World and after I found my heart a few days later, I knew what I wanted to do. I'm not looking to do like what Peck did to his Kampfer but his Qubeley

The plan is to thin and smooth it out as much as I can. *discribes everthing he's going to do in great detail* :roll:

So here's what I have, 2 feet lined with Bondo. The top is a the done foot on the second, and the bottom is a tracing of the original. I'm going to put in a third toe, originaly I wanted to make it move but I didn't know the other two did, so oh well.

Edit: Oh, duh. Paint. What I'm thinking is blacks and dark metals for the internals and a slighly metal black for the armor with a dark pearled clear over it... Then again I'll have to practice with my new airbrush

Update: Here's the right leg. All the bondo (white) is from under the plastic. The outside concave sections will be filled and smoothed so it all flows. The forward ancle armor bit on the foot'll will be rounded at the top and kept squair at the bottom. I'm going to extend and round the knee cap and the upper thight will be filled in and rounded like the rest. Am I missing anything about the legs?

November 19, 2006, 12:53:10 AM
Reply #1

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thiscowispurple.com/
Thts one of my favourite qubeleys!! I know its not so hot among the guys here (maybe its the colour?) but i really liked it. If you're going to try to follow you'll have to fill all the panel lines? or are you not going to do that? I think the K has many curves, suitable for this treatment..
www.thiscowispurple.com
I'm trying to decrease my talk : model ratio.
Less talk more model!

November 19, 2006, 01:01:39 AM
Reply #2

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm not really huge on panel lines, not that its that much work to cover them. I just worry I'm gona get rid of everything everyone loves about the Big K

November 19, 2006, 03:45:21 PM
Reply #3

Chopper Dave

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://chopperdave.minitokyo.net
I really like this approach, even if I might not like the look. Doing something so radical to change the appearance of the conventional Kampfer...I mean everyone is going to mod their Kampfer, but in the end most will still look like a Kampfer. So something like this is pretty cool to see every once in awhile! I can't wait to see more! ^_^

November 19, 2006, 08:38:30 PM
Reply #4

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
I haven't seen that Q design in awhile. It'll be interesting to see how you adapt that same idea to the Kampfer. Looking forward to this one!
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

November 20, 2006, 06:04:00 AM
Reply #5

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
I think what you have is pretty good.  It would be a very different take on the Kampfer design (not just more weapons!  :lol: ).  

I think that this Peck approach works really well for large curves and panels (like the Q), so you might have to smooth out or joint together some areas of the K (ie. back torso).  Keep us posted on your progress.  :wink:

November 20, 2006, 06:18:18 AM
Reply #6

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
I've had in intresting and scary idea. Pull the thruster pods from my 1/60 Big Scale Wing Zero. Change the pollycap for the shotgun bracket to the thruster pod. Do one pod in the open possition, the other closed. I was just looking at it and the pod fits perfectly.

But that seems like a small step from out right coping the Q and thats not at all what I want from the Kampfer. Using a style and stealing an idea isn't a line I really wana cross for the sake epic win that might come out of it.  :?

I need to sleep...

Edit: Well it looks cool :lol:

November 23, 2006, 09:33:58 PM
Reply #7

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile

Not much to say... feet arn't round like everything else is gona be (doh)

December 19, 2006, 05:39:12 PM
Reply #8

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
Finally occurred to me what to do about weapons! Disk Launcher! YAY! Was half way to the LHS for parts when I remembered I don't have cash... drat.

I've finished the final shaping on the thighs, still have to do the knees and put some more work into the feet then the legs will be done. Begun work on the pod last night, cut off the exost(brain fart) ports that stick out of the sides and they'll be replaced with the 2 back thrusters. Think I'll build up the top of the pod (its a little flat), and they open if you didn't know that

February 27, 2007, 10:59:23 PM
Reply #9

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
No new pics as I'm WAY behind schedule (and my camera is busted)
I've got my colors down, it's still what I planned but I did a swatch so I know it'll work. I'm gonna do a dark blue, metal fleck base with lots and lots of Tamiya smoke (clear black) for a very VERY awesome sparkly candy that goes between black and metal blue *drools*

I've only just started on the hips. I have one of the forearms ready for final prep, thighs need a little more work to be symmetrical, feet are still a few hours off (I think I lost one of the toes :? )l lower legs are almost done, upper body and shoulders aren't even started but shouldn't take a lot of work. The head'll be easy, just going to move the 'blade' back and down and just smooth the whole thing out. Then the thruster pod needs a little more work before its ready for finishing. Don't know if I'll keep the braided hose or try to bend some plastic tube.I scrapped the disk launcher idea cause I can't scratch build for poo, but I'm mostly done with a shorty dual rocket launcher and I might do a double barrel shot gun.

Still got LOTS of hours of putty and sanding and priming and putty and sanding and priming. Painting can't be too bad, just lots of clear coats on all smooth peaces and I'll have a good airbrush by then. It's going to be scary if I finish it on time :P