Author Topic: Orbital Frame: Ardjet  (Read 4106 times)

November 15, 2006, 03:52:59 PM
Read 4106 times

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Here is the Orbital Frame Ardjet from ZOE2 that I breifly mention I started sculpting. Should be a fun build as it's challenging and fun so far.

http://fichtenfoo.com/02GiantRobots/02b-Ardjet.htm

November 15, 2006, 04:51:21 PM
Reply #1

nath_1977

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechapinoy.net
thats complicated stuff you got there and i bet its gonna be challenging!man,..from modelling, to painting..now sculpting?wow, your very talented sir, !i'd like to see this one!goodluck sir and keep us updated.

peace.

November 15, 2006, 05:33:13 PM
Reply #2

Artic Fox

• Information
    • View Profile
one of my favorite OF's, if anyone can do this beautiful machine justice it's you. Keep up the great work, and I can't wait to see it completed

November 15, 2006, 07:48:09 PM
Reply #3

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Not familiar with ZOE, but why such a big crotch for a geisha?  :lol:

The "feet" are aile strike parts?

November 15, 2006, 07:49:39 PM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Thanks guys. This has been keeping me pretty busy since I started it on Friday night. It's not going to be easy, but it'll be fun. Hopefully it's cast-worthy in case anyone else wants one. I figure it's best to do one that hasn't already been done like Jehuty and Anubis.

Thanks also to Fallen and Zephyranthes for the ZOE artbook scans and links. VERY HELPFUL for many future ZOE scratchbuild project plans. Thanks!

November 15, 2006, 08:05:38 PM
Reply #5

Fallen

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://sky-reaction.net
I'm glad they could be of some use.  One question, did you use anything to start off with as a base?  Even at this early stage the face looks great so far.

I'd want to see someone do Inert, especially since it has that creepy angel statue face thing.

November 15, 2006, 08:09:40 PM
Reply #6

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Quote from: "Fallen"
I'd want to see someone do Inert, especially since it has that creepy angel statue face thing.

That's what I want to do next.  :lol: It'd be great if I could do the innards, get them cast in dark gray, then have them over-cast with clear-resin to do the body. As it stands though, I'd just be doing the innards. I didn't use anything as a base actually... There was nothing to use as one. It's all putty, styrene and metal so far.

Major: Missed your post... yeah, those are aile strike parts. Gotta love leftovers! They make a great base and will be unrecognizable when done.

November 15, 2006, 09:05:56 PM
Reply #7

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
These full scratch-builds are really inspiring. I have an idea brewing, but it's going to have to wait till I ascend into the airbrush era...

So far, looks great. Every time you do a project, you take something to "the next level". I'm also going to have to track down a ZOE game one of these days...
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

November 15, 2006, 10:20:36 PM
Reply #8

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Wow, this looks great.

Magic sculpt is on my "high priority to buy" list.

I have some questions on this material:
is it sticky? can you shape it using thinner?

Thanks, for the reply and log.

November 15, 2006, 11:46:54 PM
Reply #9

GK

• Information
    • View Profile
Magic Sculpt is awesome stuff. I bought some of it from TAP plastics awhile ago to make a Jack Sparrow ring :oops:  I'd seen how good it was from Foo's build ups so I decided I'd try some. Worth every penny. Its sticky when you start out, but it you use talcum poweder or something like that, its fine. Basicaly its just like dough. And, you can shape it with basic tools for the most part, but no need to resort to thinner, you can use water on this stuff.  :lol:
And like zerobxu, I have also been planning something like this, but lack of airbrush and funds puts a damper on it :cry:

On topic though, it looks like your off to a great start. Nice score on the Anubis as well. ZOE has always been one of my favorite games. Cant wait to see how what your "mad skillz" can do with these guys. :D
Just out of curiousity, isnt Ardjet's cape thing in seperate little bits that free float around the frame? Are you going to go for a big heafty solid cape, or make the little sections and position them around it on a display?

November 16, 2006, 09:04:55 AM
Reply #10

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Quote from: "GK"
Just out of curiousity, isnt Ardjet's cape thing in seperate little bits that free float around the frame? Are you going to go for a big heafty solid cape, or make the little sections and position them around it on a display?

I believe, based on the images I've been able to aquire, that Ardjets backpack is connected to the back. It breaks down into those wisps (bits) as an attack and even forms a coffin-like armor around Ardjet. I am making some wisps though to put on small clear rods around it.

At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to make the legs positionable at the hips, or just make them fixed. The reasoning there is that it seems to be a smooth blend from the legs to the torso along the black parts. Like a skin or spanex biker shorts. It's mostly going to be fix-pose anyway, (Like the large image on my prog-page at the top) but I thought it might be nice if I have it cast to be able to move the legs before gluing them into place.

I'm using both Magic Sculpt (MS) and Aves Apoxy Sculpt (AAS) on this for different reasons. MS is thicker to work with and great for building up details and whatnot. AAS is a little stickier and softer so is great for when you have a small gap or crevase between t2 blobs of MS or AAS and want to fill it smoothly. I recommend getting sample sizes of both.

MS: Great for details and stuff you want to thicker when sculpting for large sections.
AAS: Blends better for smooth surface features and cleaning up rough sculpts.

With either, it's best to add more than needed then carve or sand away excess. Also bulk up underneath with balls of foil, paper, styrene, whatever so not waste it since both are not cheap.

November 16, 2006, 10:19:48 AM
Reply #11

thor777

• Information
    • View Profile
I'm not really familiar with the ZOE games, but couldn't you just load up the game that has the mecha in it and take screenshots for reference?

November 16, 2006, 10:25:15 AM
Reply #12

ZLuca

• I can't remember..
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kallamity.com
Woow Michael!
Very engaging and interesting project, can't wait to see more progress!
I feel it will sort out very good!! :wink:
z

November 16, 2006, 10:33:10 AM
Reply #13

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Well, Ardjet is an Enemy mecha so getting some good shots "in-game" would be hard. However, I think she's playable in the versus mode which is where I'll get my shots later. I don't actually own the game and do not have it here now. I borrowed it from Keenix a while back and will be borrowing it again next time I see him in early December.

Aside from that... computer models tend to lack some detail you'd want in a finished kit. It's good for basics, but not the finer points.

Thanks Luca! I really have too many interesting projects on hold don't I.

November 16, 2006, 04:20:50 PM
Reply #14

GK

• Information
    • View Profile
Yeah, you can get Ardjet in versus mode and since the mech is usualy right next to the screen, its pretty good for getting screens. Alternativly, the cut scenes are really good for close ups and such.  I might have to dust off my game and play it again after this :lol:
Perhaps in the future you could tackle Auuman Anubis with its hundreds of little tiny floating hexagon thingies :shock:

November 16, 2006, 04:58:59 PM
Reply #15

Fallen

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://sky-reaction.net
Quote from: "GK"

Perhaps in the future you could tackle Auuman Anubis with its hundreds of little tiny floating hexagon thingies :shock:

It also has that faint little halo thing that isn't attached to anything 0_o

On the note of doing ZOE builds, it would be nice to see the Vic Viper from ZOE 2, in mech form of course.

November 16, 2006, 07:04:11 PM
Reply #16

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
There is a Vic Viper kit available... but good luck finding it. It's on my short list of ZOE builds though. I want to do an Idolo too.

November 16, 2006, 11:45:28 PM
Reply #17

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
Thats gona be awsome. I keep seeing great things done with Magic Sculp... I'm spending too much money as it is! ARG!!!

Quote from: "Major Blah"
Not familiar with ZOE, but why such a big crotch for a geisha?  :lol:

Well, if noone else is gona say it... "cock-pit"
Half the size of a house :shock:

November 17, 2006, 06:22:02 AM
Reply #18

GK

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "mrmaigo"

Well, if noone else is gona say it... "cock-pit"
Half the size of a house :shock:

Aww come on, its only 20 feet long  :lol:

November 18, 2006, 09:33:21 AM
Reply #19

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Yes yes... it's a big phallic cockpit. Lets all have a good imature laugh and get it out of our systems. :roll: Ready...?

PENIS! COCK! PHALLUS! DONG! BANANA! SCHLONG! SCHWARTZ! ETC...!

Now that THAT is over with... here's some more progress. :lol:

http://fichtenfoo.com/02GiantRobots/02b-Ardjet.htm

DICK