Author Topic: Ishtar Mk II  (Read 8609 times)

December 01, 2006, 06:40:51 AM
Reply #20

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Looks great, braxat! I like the fact that you're detail-oriented to the point where you're breaking down the antennas by their bandwidth allocations (HF and VHF) and I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like when you get them installed. Any plans to add UHF to the main part of the torso?
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

December 01, 2006, 09:37:32 AM
Reply #21

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi zerobxu,
I actually have a difficulty decided how to add the antenna. I think of putting two VHF antenna on each side, and bend them forward to create four arches.

I know it won't be too physical, but it should look nice.

I like your idea of another antenna of UHF, maybe on a hand attachment?

The HF can be deployed near the mech and get the data from him. I also will probably do the scene near a communication bunker, so Any antenna can be extracted from there also.

Thanks for the comments, I'll need to think this more..

December 01, 2006, 11:32:01 AM
Reply #22

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Here I go bringing real-world science into a sci-fi discussion, but I'll dive in anyways...
(and you may already know all this, braxat)

UHF is really height-dependant frequency band, so a hand-mount would give the flexibility of raising the antenna higher than the torso, but if the hands couldn't be raised above the torso (for whatever reason) transmit and receive strength would suffer. Another option might be to mount a UHF antenna off the shoulder armor--kinda like a glass-mount cellular phone antenna. There's also the option of just putting a vertical wire extending upwards from the base of the VHF antenna. This is a common practice in ham radio for turning a VHF antenna into a dual-band VHF/UHF antenna.

Whatever way you go with it (or even without), I know you'll make it look good.
-The Wright Brothers

December 01, 2006, 02:50:40 PM
Reply #23

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi zerobxu,
One of my fields of studies for my B.Sc was actually communication, but I took mostly basic courses in digital communication, so I don't know too much about antennae  :oops: .

I did encounter antennae during navy service, I was responsible for the communication on a missile boat, but my extent of knowledge was HF - the long ones with the metal shieldings, VHF - the meduim ones, UHF - I forgot, it was a long time ago.

Thanks for the info, I've lost time working on this thing, and will take pictures in the morning. I'll be very happy to get your feedback on this. I totally ruined the elegant shape of the Ishtar though, so I'll have to add this type of modifications to the entire mecha, so it won't look too strange, oh well....

My first insight from this project is to next type spend a lot more time planning the modifications, and not start cutting plastic and go where it takes me  :? .

December 01, 2006, 11:43:11 PM
Reply #24

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
I've had a lot of experience with radios and antennas--but not much of it was digital. I've been a ham radio operator for over nine years now and built quite a few functional antennas--everything from HF to VHF to UHF. Since this is science fiction, your "wiggle room" is nearly infinite. If you make your UHF antenna about 1/3 as long as the VHF antenna--and the HF antenna approximately three times (or more) as long as your VHF antenna, it'll be more than close enough. If you want some pictures of antennas (but you certainly don't need them), let me know. We've got everything from 100 foot radio towers to vehicle-mounted two-way satellite radio systems at work.

Of course, here I go babbling on about one small aspect of the overall project. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress (and don't worry about the science!).
-The Wright Brothers

December 01, 2006, 11:59:44 PM
Reply #25

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile

December 02, 2006, 12:07:52 AM
Reply #26

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Looks good--but how close do they come to the shoulders once they're mounted?

Quote from: "braxat2000"
should I add to it an antenna on the top of the head?

With the shape of the head, you really could.
-The Wright Brothers

December 05, 2006, 02:34:14 PM
Reply #27

Lingwendil

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/lingwendil/
Dude... BEST POSE EVAR.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/9199/3pi7rr1.jpg

MOD EDIT: DO NOT HOTLINK IMAGES THAT ARE NOT HOSTED BY YOU.

Awesome work on the mech so far, those bars really look good where they're placed.
Pain fades, chicks dig scars, and glory is forever.

December 05, 2006, 10:49:37 PM
Reply #28

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks,

Lingwendil: The problem with the figures is that the hands are a bit long, I hope it won't be seen when they are painted and placed near the mech.

zerobxu: The shoulder shields (?) are ok with the antennae, I checked  :) .

I actually built a vulcan cannon for it, and I'll place pictures later on.

I think I changed my minds so many times during this project... I still don't know how it will all be placed together, and probably won't know it until the last piece is glued to the base  :lol: .

December 08, 2006, 01:04:11 PM
Reply #29

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile

December 08, 2006, 01:25:14 PM
Reply #30

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Overall, the gun has a real nice shape. Looking at this picture, something seems odd about the ends of the barrels. Possibly because of the limits of styrene, they don't seem quite uniform. The barrels might need a bit more sanding (which you could very well already be planning), or you might want to think about replacing the styrene with aluminum or copper?
-The Wright Brothers

December 08, 2006, 02:10:52 PM
Reply #31

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
hi,
Thank you very much. I didn't notice it and sanded it just now, looks much better.

I wuold like to thank you for the advice and feedback zerobxu. I have a tendency to work quick but not so careful  :oops:

I thinks on how to paint this gun. Maybe the body will be sand color like the rest of the mech.

December 08, 2006, 05:27:52 PM
Reply #32

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Or, on the gun barrels, you could put smaller diameter metal tube just poking out of the plastic barrels you already have. Something like mechaskunk's 1mm or 2mm tube beads.

I like the idea  of using balsa, much easier to sand and shape than plastic, but I wonder if you'll be able to get rid of the wood grain texture :?:
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

December 09, 2006, 10:08:53 PM
Reply #33

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi Funaka,
We have a guy at our club who scratchbuild aircraft from balsa, and they are fantastic, so with experience this material can be very useful..

It is very easy to shape and sand, allowing you to create the shapes you want quickly.  But, there is the grain issue. I tried to add Tamiya putty and sand, but it is not hard enough, and you may reach the lower layes of grain.

What my friend do, is smear  super glue glue all over the balsa, and when dry it gives him a flat and hard surfacr that can be sanded. I didn't want to do so because of the fumes, and I think of adding a layer of Mr surfacer on top.

I like the idea of the tubes extracting our of the barrels, this mech is tall, and a long gun should look nice on it.

Thanks for the feedback

December 09, 2006, 11:23:55 PM
Reply #34

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
It's funny you should mention the super glue thing, braxat. I was at my local IPMS meeting today and a guy had built a scale model of the new NASA orbital vehicle. He was talking about how he used cardboard tubing and brushed watered down CA over it to add strength and make it easier to paint.
-The Wright Brothers

December 10, 2006, 09:43:51 PM
Reply #35

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi,
I continued to add mr surfacer to the balsa, but its still won't remove the grain. So I tried the superglue way and it works very well.

The only problem with thie method is that the superglue fumes are very strong, so it has to be done carefuly and in a well ventilated room. After  applying the superglue I just souldn't be in the room and had to get out.

December 11, 2006, 08:46:29 AM
Reply #36

RoboSmurf

• Information
    • View Profile
Goto your hardware store and look for sanding sealer. Its made specifically for filling grain in wood to make it prettier for sanding.

Also, bass wood is another lighter soft wood that is easier to work with. Its heavier than balsa which is why its not used for flying airplanes, but it has a tighter grain and smooths out better.

December 11, 2006, 09:49:57 PM
Reply #37

BM2

• John Fields
  • Information
  • "Sometimes you just have to be stupid"Joe Strummer
    • View Profile
By missle boat I assume you mean a boomer - it's ok I wont hold it against you if you are a bubble head - I myself was a skimmer puke- Burke class DDG 58 the Laboon. BTW- great stuff! I really like what you did with the Ishtar and the design in the commo gear - should make for an interesting dio- have you considered including a telescoping antenna in the design - more of a long range type thing?- it couuld be incorporated into the box like structure quite easily, Looking forward to seeing this when it's done :)
(for non-Navy types a Boomer is an ssbn-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSBN
The dude abides!

December 12, 2006, 01:22:09 AM
Reply #38

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
RoboSmurf: Thanks, I'll check it out. The superglue fumes are aweful.. I couldn't stay in the same room with them.

BM2: Thanks, the first sketch I did included a telescopic antenna. I didn't think the mech is so big, and if the base will allow it I definetly goin to try and add one.

I think the ship class I served in is called light missile ship in Janes. its smaller than a corvette, and doesn't have a class of its own. It was a tiny ship when compared to the US ships we saw from time to time  :lol:

December 12, 2006, 06:26:23 AM
Reply #39

BM2

• John Fields
  • Information
  • "Sometimes you just have to be stupid"Joe Strummer
    • View Profile
I'm sorry I assumed you were American as there was no location tag on your avatar - my mistake! I guess it's a matter of perspective - I always thought we looked so tiny next to a carrier-
http://navysite.de/dd/Image941.jpg

MOD edit:  please do not hot link to offsite images that don't belong to you ;)
The dude abides!