Author Topic: sanding angles  (Read 2866 times)

sandlegs

• View Profile
sanding angles
« on: November 10, 2006, 09:54:05 AM »
How do you guys go about doing this? I'm talking about where a seam was glued and it happes to be on an angle and requires sanding.  Even when i'm using sanding sticks i cannot seem to get a sharp angle out of it.  To remedy this i have been using small metal files, but as you know they are very course.  I also tried to use an x-acto knife to cut out the angle but i am looking for a better way to do this.

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • FFF Staff
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
sanding angles
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:00:10 AM »
From your post I'm guessing that the angle in question is sticking out (not depressed into) the surface.  I suggest cutting a strip of wood/plastic/sturdy material, wrap a piece of sandpaper around it, and use it as your sanding stick.  Depending on how much space is in the part you can cut to different widths.  Hope this answers your question.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
sanding angles
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 10:06:33 AM »
Yeah... definitely take a pic of what you're talking about. That'll help us answer your question.
Rust is beautiful.

sandlegs

• View Profile
sanding angles
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 10:16:05 AM »
crap! sorry about the clarity of my post.  I was actually talking about inward sloping angles .......like... an armpit. sorry!

gamerabaenre

• View Profile
sanding angles
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 10:26:20 AM »
Wrap sand paper around the files you use and get the major sanding done with that.  Then you can do the fine sanding with just folded up high grit sandpaper.  Since with higher grit sandpaper, you don't have to worry about eating away the plastic and having the sandpaper eat away at the shapes.

Most inward sloping areas are the true tests of patience and ingenuity for a modeler.  For some seams that are in hard to reach places, I've given into just cutting a thin piece of styrene, and gluing it on top of a seam or defect.

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • FFF Staff
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
sanding angles
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 10:44:21 AM »
Inward sloping ones are so annoying, sometimes a Kotobukiya/Wave option part (ie. minus mold) can come in handy to hide the small seams as well.

pu_rplecow

• View Profile
    • http://www.thiscowispurple.com/
sanding angles
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 04:08:50 PM »
Use the electric sander if its big enough.
www.thiscowispurple.com
I'm trying to decrease my talk : model ratio.
Less talk more model!