Author Topic: Styrene card question  (Read 2544 times)

prime-idiot

• View Profile
Styrene card question
« on: November 09, 2006, 08:27:26 AM »
Has anybody tried using styrene card layers to sculpt solid objects for kitbashing in place of putty / resin?

I've just had this idea in my head that it should be possible, as years ago I watched my dad shaping the nose of a glider from a pyramid of balsa-wood into a smooth nose cone.

Just curious if anyone has tried this method at all?
here's this bit of plastic come fro...OOPS!

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Styrene card question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 08:49:19 AM »
Yes. It just depends on the needs of the build for most people. Take a look through the Model In Progress section or the Krazy Kustom Kampfer Kompetition and you will see many examples of principally using styrene and then using putty to fill in the gaps/seams.

In fact, you really should've checked either of these forums prior to posting this question, as you would have readily found your answer. If, on the other hand, you're interested in providing a detailed explanation of the balsa nose cone, I'm sure there would be many of us who would be interested in hearing it.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
Styrene card question
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 09:03:28 AM »
Styrene is harder to do that with than foam. Look in the in-prog section for a 1/35 Kampfer Head by Pazu. That was made from foam covered in putty.
Rust is beautiful.

gamerabaenre

• View Profile
Styrene card question
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 09:41:26 AM »
I think his question is to replace the use of putty/resin with styrene.  As in, instead of using putty to make stuff, using only styrene to make stuff.

I believe the best thing is to combine the two.  Use the styrene as structural support, then adding putty for the surface.  Putty is much easier to sand and work with than straight styrene.  Given the choice to sand putty/resin areas vs styrene/bandai plastic, I would definitely choose putty/resin.

It can be done, but may be more work than it is worth.  Unless there is significant cause to use styrene over putty/resin or in conjunction - I don't think there is just cause for it.

Balsa wood is nice and soft, which lends itself to sanding and shaping.  So I don't believe it makes a good comparison to sanding and shaping styrene.

prime-idiot

• View Profile
Styrene card question
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 01:23:34 PM »
gamerabaenre that's exactly what I meant, thankyou for your kind and informative response.

My own thoughts were that while putty can go hard I don't know if it's brittle, so the idea is to fab parts from layers of styrene rather than just making hollow boxes. I've no experiance of doing this but have a few ideas on complex shaping, and keeping fillers to seam lines and panel pitting (like I've noticed on my PG strike's raw plastic).

Curved surfaces could be a problem mind.  :?
here's this bit of plastic come fro...OOPS!