Author Topic: Rick Dias + Dom head?!  (Read 6580 times)

November 06, 2006, 09:45:43 PM
Read 6580 times

Pleiades

• Information
    • View Profile
With all the Rick Dias stuff going around, I got to thinking ( never good) about the MS-09 and the RMS-099 similarities. Then I recalled something I read in the Wikipedia entry for the Rick Dias:

"A final advantage of the suit, at least in the early skirmishes between the Titans and AEUG, was unintended by its designers - its appearance. The Rick Dias fought like a Gundam, but looked comparatively innocuous to the Titans, most of whom were Federation combat vets that did not expect the Dias' combination of mobility, firepower, and armor from what appeared to be merely an upgraded Dom."

I started to wonder, what if some of the early Dias's or perhaps the final combat test version the deception was intended and slighly exploited.

Of course this is all total B.S. I just liked the look of the Dom head on the Dias, but at least there is a tiny thread to hang it of off.

November 06, 2006, 10:40:40 PM
Reply #1

Shadowfire

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/crackpotsmoker
Somehow that design seems very aesthetically appealling to the eye. At least for me O_O :o :o :o

I'd say, if you feel like theres some merit behind pursuing this project, then by all means go for it.  :wink:
ime is of the essence.

November 06, 2006, 10:56:40 PM
Reply #2

dr_feelgood

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Mechaion Designs
IMHO, i think its too big for the rick dias. :)  but thats just me. :D

November 06, 2006, 11:01:48 PM
Reply #3

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
Maybe bulking the legs up a little might make it look better.

November 06, 2006, 11:03:44 PM
Reply #4

GK

• Information
    • View Profile
I think it needs a bigger gun to balance it out. It looks a little  off to me, holding that tiny little clay bazzoka.
Its a good concept though. It blend together quite well from what I can see, accept that the Dom head is all sleak and streamlined and the Dias is all big and blocky  :lol:

November 07, 2006, 01:01:56 AM
Reply #5

Captain Obvious

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
I like it (the Dom head easily wins out over the crap dias head IMO).  But I think it's the feet that need balancing out, like maybe with some vernier thrusters on the back, something akin to the GP01-FB.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
-Kurt Vonnegut

November 07, 2006, 01:15:56 AM
Reply #6

Chopper Dave

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://chopperdave.minitokyo.net
I have to agree with GK. I think what throws it off is the fact that the head is all smooth and the rest is angular. I think if you remodeled the head to be a bit angular, and look more like the MS from Zeta Gundam, you would have something thats plausible! Although, when I saw the pic I was amazed at how much it just looked right ya know? ^_^

November 07, 2006, 02:53:22 AM
Reply #7

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Not to totally throw off your story, but wasn't the pilot located in the Dias' head?  Or am I smoking crack?

November 07, 2006, 04:06:35 AM
Reply #8

GK

• Information
    • View Profile
Fulcy's right. Ol' Rick Dias had a head mounted cockpit. That little red ball thingy that I always see with the Gundam Mk. II is the exact same one I beleive.
Doesnt mean this Dom/Dias hybrid can't have one though. The Dom head looks like it has plent of extra room inside it  :lol:
Coarse, you could always say that this version has a standard cockpit in the standard location, what with it being a custom job and all  :wink:

November 07, 2006, 06:29:23 AM
Reply #9

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Wow, Dom went on diet and body-building?  :lol:

I think it's a viable idea, but you'll probably have to smooth out some of the Dias element and simplify (or fatten) it to make it like a transitional suit.  Neat idea though.

November 07, 2006, 08:43:05 AM
Reply #10

Pleiades

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "GK"
Fulcy's right. Ol' Rick Dias had a head mounted cockpit. That little red ball thingy that I always see with the Gundam Mk. II is the exact same one I beleive.
Doesnt mean this Dom/Dias hybrid can't have one though. The Dom head looks like it has plent of extra room inside it  :lol:
Coarse, you could always say that this version has a standard cockpit in the standard location, what with it being a custom job and all  :wink:

I was pretty much thinking it would be a skin over the standard Dias head/cockpit assembly. I plan to "angle-ize" the Dom head a little (purely for aesthetics) and add a Dom like backpack. I am looking to do it in a way that I can interchange the originals back on, Kind of like the FIX figures. I think that both those mentioned parts will be the only mods. I am going for simple deception, much like the add-ons that car manufactures use to confuse the shape slightly for spy photos. Just enough to blur the fact that it was indeed a new MS and not an upgraded Dom.

November 07, 2006, 08:49:33 AM
Reply #11

Pleiades

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "GK"
I think it needs a bigger gun to balance it out. It looks a little  off to me, holding that tiny little clay bazzoka.
Its a good concept though. It blend together quite well from what I can see, accept that the Dom head is all sleak and streamlined and the Dias is all big and blocky  :lol:

Yeah, I was thinking of working on the Clay bazoka to make it longer, even for the stock Dias it seems a little short. I keep thinking rail gun/mass driver or something but that might be a little too advanced.

November 07, 2006, 09:22:27 AM
Reply #12

ninjascience

• Information
    • View Profile
    • mechascientific
It looks like a very wicked Dom.  I agree, the head needs some work.  Not only to make it match a little more with the body, but to make it a little less stock so it doesn't just look like swapped the head.  Maybe modifying the Dias body a bit too so it looks more non-standard.

November 07, 2006, 10:53:40 AM
Reply #13

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
I actually thought about this idea the other day--but I stopped at the "thinking" stage. It's interesting to see how it looks there.

I think it works great with the Rick Dias body. The front of the Dom head compliments the more angular edges of the Rick Dias body, while the back of the Dom head really does go with what you see on the rear view of the suit--the slightly less angular curves of the rear skirt and legs.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

November 07, 2006, 12:59:25 PM
Reply #14

G-Sentinel

• Information
    • View Profile
That's a pretty cool idea, the Dom head completely transforms the model. Quite shocking almost, it looks like a whole new model, I really like that. Can't wait to see how this project unfolds!
ou don't need to be hot to model, You just need the right tools.

"I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?'"
  - Jay Leno

November 07, 2006, 06:11:06 PM
Reply #15

Doctor Seleski

• Do they make that in pink?
  • Information
  • Char!
    • View Profile
I was in the middle of posting earlier but had to go home to take care of my son.  Anyway...

I think that the Dom head and Dias head are both very similar to begin with, so it works.  I do think the Dom head has more of an emphasis on the long curves though, so modifying the head a bit would add a lot to it not looking like a frankensuit.

November 08, 2006, 01:32:29 PM
Reply #16

gemini

• Information
    • View Profile
I think it's a good match and looks great. IMH if it wasnt for the read cross pattern on the Dom's head it wouldnt have worked because everything about Rick Diaz is square. Its a good looking dom...er..rick! heh
h....I dont know what I'm doing

November 08, 2006, 08:25:17 PM
Reply #17

Pleiades

• Information
    • View Profile
Typical of projects with me, I got diverted from my Fighter to work on this while the idea was fresh. I reworked the head a little to make it fit with the more angular Dias frame.

Hopefully I did not over do it. I wanted to make it kind of what the Dom head would look like in the Zeta era. I should probably leave this to be worked on after I finish the Fighter. It is so hard not to get distracted! :lol:

November 08, 2006, 08:47:41 PM
Reply #18

Artic Fox

• Information
    • View Profile
how did you attach the head?

November 08, 2006, 11:57:09 PM
Reply #19

Chopper Dave

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://chopperdave.minitokyo.net
looks much better! Although im thinking something extra should be done with the red front piece...cant put my finger on what though T.T