Author Topic: Using Sticky Tak  (Read 2303 times)

October 25, 2006, 04:34:59 AM
Read 2303 times

Doly Sinaga

• Information
    • View Profile
I've been using sticky tak ( I use the green one made by Faber Castell) to hold parts when painting. The problem is when I used it on painted surface, it left a ghastly mark that wouldn't come off. I had to strip the paint and redo the painting. Does any of you encounter the same problem? Do I have to change brand and use "Blue Tak"?

Thanks,
doly

October 25, 2006, 04:38:17 AM
Reply #1

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
Blu Tak doesn't leave a mark on painted surfaces. I've used it as a camo mask before and it works excellent. It lifts off easy and doesn't effect the paint. A handy tip when using it too, is that if there is any left on the piece that you can't get off, just press another piece against it and peel it off to remove the excess.

October 25, 2006, 09:09:30 PM
Reply #2

Vinny

• Information
    • View Profile
Dolly, I think I've had a similar problem.  I use some 3M putty stuff I found at the office store (guy said it was the same, so...) and sometime it leaves like a residue that when I try to paint over it, the paint comes out a different shade.  My suggestion is to put the sticky tack on a part of the piece that won't be seen.  Like the inside of armor, or a peg, for example.

October 25, 2006, 10:15:20 PM
Reply #3

Doly Sinaga

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies guys.

I thought it over and I came up with this, I would put masking tape over the painted surface and then put the green tak over the masking tape. Hopefully this would work because I have to paint both inner and outer sides.

But I'd buy the Blue Tak anyway, I want to do woodlands camo scheme in the future  :)

October 25, 2006, 11:22:49 PM
Reply #4

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
If you're goingt to use masking tape (and you might run into a problem with it pulling paint off), then go to the paint section of the hardware store and get some blue masking tape. Also, you'll want to paint the inside of a piece first.

Of course, the best solution is the blue 'Tak.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers