Author Topic: Haruhi Suzumiya X 2  (Read 5182 times)

October 24, 2006, 11:34:57 PM
Read 5182 times

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Ok, I've been working on these two kits for about a week or so...  Progress page here:
http://www.gamerabaenre.com/1_6_haruhis_prog.htm
The girls pinned:

The guitars pinned:

And a bunch of other pictures on the progress page...

October 26, 2006, 11:40:09 AM
Reply #1

G-Sentinel

• Information
    • View Profile
Looks awsome! the fishnet stockings are really well done. I never understood the bunny outfit...keep up the good work!
ou don't need to be hot to model, You just need the right tools.

"I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?'"
  - Jay Leno

October 27, 2006, 03:40:47 PM
Reply #2

Whale Gamer

• Information
    • View Profile
This requires that Youtube Gundam parody.

From the Anime

GunPla version

October 29, 2006, 09:31:58 PM
Reply #3

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
I remember seeing that gundam model video... but it was before I watched Haruhi, so I didn't get the reference until midway though watching Haruhi.. then it hit me... damn cool regardless.

Weekend update:
I read a little article written by David Fisher for the wood grain technique.  The basic principals of this is similar to drybryshing and washes. First I sprayed on a tan color for the guitar top. I sealed this layer with a lacquer clear gloss. Once that dried, I used some acrylics: burnt umber and light brown thinned with some isoproponal alcohol. Using a ratty brush, I effectively drybrushed some wood grains. A couple of runs was all that was necessary. I let the wash/drybrush dry, then sprayed on another coat of lacquer clear gloss. Then using only burnt umber thinned with alcohol and a flat soft brush, I applied the wash in a drybrushing technique again. Once this dried, I sealed it again using a lacquer clear gloss. Finally, I did a mix of clear yellow, clear red, and clear green and created a light brown and sprayed this over the top blending in the edges.

The neck:

October 29, 2006, 09:33:53 PM
Reply #4

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
and got one guitar strung....
One guitar stung....

October 29, 2006, 09:58:52 PM
Reply #5

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Wood grain is AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Even more eye-catching than the chicks! :D
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

October 29, 2006, 10:35:15 PM
Reply #6

dr_feelgood

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Mechaion Designs
man! the guitar is awesome! loving it! :D

October 30, 2006, 04:48:50 AM
Reply #7

RickDTM

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dragonstoothminiatures.com
Guitar wood grain is sweet!
Machines have no conscience....

http://www.dragonstoothminiatures.com

October 30, 2006, 05:09:10 AM
Reply #8

Tazman3

• Information
    • View Profile
Duuuude...that guitar is sweet!  I love how you did the strings...you even have the wound sections at the end...the switches...the knobs...expertly done.   Enough cannot be said about the finish of the neck and body...too cool...looks exactly like the real thing!

Great work!

:taz:
Insta: @poppahuffplaysgames
FB: Johnny Huff

October 30, 2006, 10:39:03 AM
Reply #9

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Heh.. last night I was trying to figure out a way to have my little G3 hold on to the guitar for some pictures.... a little too big for him *sigh*.... I need to build another MG Dom and use it to model 1/6 scale resin fun....

The wood grain was amazingly easy to do.  I saw a few examples and read an article on it and simply explained its just dry brushing a wash.  I'm glad it came out well.... I can look forward to using this technique on a future gunpla project  :razz:   That would be an interesting paint job...pending issues with scale

I still need to straighten out the strings some.  I used magnetic wire wrap in various sizes.  I wanted to get the look of different string sizes as well as wrap the wires around the pegheads.  Pain in the rear working with the wires.  So, I gotta figure the damn thing out before I string the next guitar....  Then I can move on to finishing the bunnies :)

October 30, 2006, 11:00:32 AM
Reply #10

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
wouldn't it be easier to work with various sizes of fishing line?  true, you'd have to paint it afterwards, but would the ease of handling offset the paint time?

October 30, 2006, 11:06:46 AM
Reply #11

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Not sure if fishing line would get down to some of the sizes I have with the magnet wire.
The gauges I used are 36, 34, and 28.  I guess I just need to find a method to straighten them first, since they come off spools.  May try ironing them and see if a small amount of heat can help straighten them.

October 30, 2006, 11:37:36 AM
Reply #12

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
The wood on the guitars look fantastic. Link us with the article you read!

October 30, 2006, 11:44:06 AM
Reply #13

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
The wood on the guitars look fantastic. Link us with the article you read!

Here ya go: http://www.foxfirestudio.com/tutorial.htm

There are some pictures, but I felt the need to add more pictures to what I did and such.  Pretty cool stuff.

October 30, 2006, 12:17:56 PM
Reply #14

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
These just look amazing Gam! All I can say is WOW, and shadow what everyone else has said.
Great job. Looking forward to the finished kits.

October 30, 2006, 12:57:44 PM
Reply #15

G-Sentinel

• Information
    • View Profile
Wow! those guitars are amazing. Your creativity on this project is just endless. That wood grain work is unbelievable and it's hard to believe that it's not a decal  :razz: . I really like how you used different sized wire to create the "real" guitar feel. Keep up the good work :wink: !
ou don't need to be hot to model, You just need the right tools.

"I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?'"
  - Jay Leno

October 30, 2006, 05:32:45 PM
Reply #16

Asmodeous

• Information
    • View Profile
I don't know if this will help you much on straightening the wire but if you pull it across a smooth round surfacea few times, first roughtly then getting slightly more soft with each pull it should provide a slightly stiffer straigher wire.  You will of course want to pull it backwards from the original curl but I think it might work.  Hope it does.

October 30, 2006, 11:12:33 PM
Reply #17

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks guys.  Glad you like the guitar so far.  Tonight, I stung up the other guitar...

then um.. couldn't help myself...

October 31, 2006, 05:31:27 AM
Reply #18

amessier

• Information
    • View Profile
The gutiar looks great!  One thing you overlooked  the makers logo on the headstock.  Minor bit of detail really.

October 31, 2006, 10:08:32 AM
Reply #19

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "amessier"
The gutiar looks great!  One thing you overlooked  the makes logo on the headstock.  Minor bit of detail really.

Actually, it's not being overlooked.  I ordered decal paper and it should be coming soon, so yes, there will be a little "italia" logo for the headstock.  Everything here is still in progress :)