Author Topic: HGUC 1/144 RX-78-2 Gundam Elbow mod.  (Read 2438 times)

October 23, 2006, 04:13:26 PM
Read 2438 times

Komataguri

• Information
  • Banned
    • View Profile
I can't get over how detailed the HGUC models are, but the one thing that really irritates me is that the arms can not bend more further than a 90degree angle at the elbow.

This mod is an attempt to fix that while, However with this being my first serious mod [ as a warm up for work on my MGs ], It is going to be a rocky road...and some of the things you guys see might make you think " WTF is this guy thinking ", But we all had to start somewhere...and I'm hoping this will get me on the path that you guys with your amazing models are on.

To start, I plan on containing all my custom work to the elbow piece itself, which means I will not be modifying the upper or lower arm segments of the model kit in any significant way[ if any way at all ] so that, if I so desire, this could easily be removed and returned to a more OOB look.

Earlier today I built a prototype, However due to my batteries dying in the camera the pictures I took if the build up of it were not of any significance.

Below is the first image [ Yes, I forgot to turn Macro on, However I do not feel like reshooting now ] Of the bottom and inside pieces of the joint.

You can see the hole drilled, and the outer piece in this pic

Pic 1

TO make this a easy to remove mod, And so not to modify the model itself, This is going to contain a polycap and a piece of sprue to use as my peg.  Peg of the upper arm will plug into the polycap in my elbow, and the peg from my elbow will plug into the stock polycap on the forearm.

This is still in the prototype phase, so it still will have to be shrunk down more in the next make and refined,  This is not the final piece I am building here.

I'm not good with descriptions or anything, However, the pictures I take later tonight or tomorrow will do a great deal better job in describing the concept than my words can.

Also, after looking at the joints of all the HGUC models I have, It looks like this exact design [ save for detail and color changes ] will work on quit a few more models, Specifically the Zaku II and Guncannon. .Specially the guncannon given its particularly bulky design and feel.

Um, that is all for now, I guess.

EDIT
IN this image, you can see the poly cap I modified, Since the space is so narrow I shaved the back of the poly cap off to save space inside the elbow and to allow the peg to be placed deeper for greater strength
Pic 2

This you can see the Prototype Mark II elbow is almost complete, just waiting for the glue to dry before I glue the peg into place and place the last piece of styrene over the top. [ I'm using an extra chunk I cut off the sprue to hold it up :D Sprues are handy to have laying around :D ]
Pic 3

October 23, 2006, 05:14:08 PM
Reply #1

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Komataguri, glad you went ahead and attempted some mod on the HGUC gundam.  Like you said, we all got to start somewhere.

I think it would b e a good idea to spend a little bit of time to get comfortable with your camera.  It's very hard for us to see what you are doing when all the pictures are blurred.  As a general guideline, shoot picture with sufficient light directly on the subject, not behind it (it's called back-lit, like your monitor).  I hope to see some better pictures that shows the extent of your modifications in the near future.  :wink:

October 23, 2006, 06:01:39 PM
Reply #2

Komataguri

• Information
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Major Blah"
Komataguri, glad you went ahead and attempted some mod on the HGUC gundam.  Like you said, we all got to start somewhere.

I think it would b e a good idea to spend a little bit of time to get comfortable with your camera.  It's very hard for us to see what you are doing when all the pictures are blurred.  As a general guideline, shoot picture with sufficient light directly on the subject, not behind it (it's called back-lit, like your monitor).  I hope to see some better pictures that shows the extent of your modifications in the near future.  :wink:

Hard to believe I've won photography contests, eh? :p

Yeah, I know, the first one was terrible because of lack of macro, and the ones I used the monitor to light up, Well, that was pure laziness [ Well, the first one I was using the backlight to show off the amount I took off the polycap..] since I do not have a dedicated workspace [ as one could guess from the pics ] I have to work at my computer desk..Not enough room for nice lightening during prototypical build phase  :oops:

October 23, 2006, 08:32:32 PM
Reply #3

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
It looks like you made a good choice for your first mod project--not jumping in too far over your head. For someone who doesn't take a lot of stock in their descriptions, the one you've compiled thus far is certainly thorough. ¬°Buena suerte!
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

October 23, 2006, 09:12:49 PM
Reply #4

Vinny

• Information
    • View Profile
I just ordered the Operation V three pack so I look forward to seeing how this project turns out!

October 24, 2006, 06:45:25 AM
Reply #5

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
Quote from: "Komataguri"
I can't get over how detailed the HGUC models are, but the one thing that really irritates me is that the arms can not bend more further than a 90degree angle at the elbow.

To start, I plan on containing all my custom work to the elbow piece itself, which means I will not be modifying the upper or lower arm segments of the model kit in any significant way[ if any way at all ] so that, if I so desire, this could easily be removed and returned to a more OOB look.

I don't get how this is going to work.  The upper arm area of the HGUC Gundam is occupied by the peg coming down from the shoulder.  If you were to plug that peg into your elbow block, the arm would be too long, and I'm not sure what the top polycap of the elbow would gain you in that case.

I think you can minimize the amount of alteration you need to do, but I don't see how you can leave the upper and lower arm parts alone completely and just insert a new elbow block...  Am I missing something?

I did a double-jointed elbow mod on My Strike - inserted a double joint in the elbow, added a polycap to the upper arm for the pivot movement, replaced the strut coming out of the shoulder with something shorter.  If you go this route you can take advantage of aftermarket parts like Wave T-Shaft or Kotobukiya Mecha Joint to build the elbow itself - but it does require altering the upper arm and shoulder, and it's not something you could easily swap for the original elbow part if you felt like it...
---GEC
Jabber ID: tetsujin@scope-eye.net

October 24, 2006, 07:37:24 AM
Reply #6

Komataguri

• Information
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Quote from: "tetsujin"

I don't get how this is going to work.  The upper arm area of the HGUC Gundam is occupied by the peg coming down from the shoulder.  If you were to plug that peg into your elbow block, the arm would be too long, and I'm not sure what the top polycap of the elbow would gain you in that case.

Thats the feeling I'm starting to get with the completion of this second prototype, whici is not a bad thing, seeing as it still has lead me in a new direction.

Now, instead of the build like you've seen thus far, I'm thinking of a rounded joint, that I think I can make more ocmpact.

Basicly it will be 3 rounded pieces, the poly cap attached to the middle piece, and the leg connected to the outside 2 pieces.

It came to me in a dream lsat night  :oops:

But if all else fails,  I will have to break with my goal of not modifying the model itself.

October 25, 2006, 09:23:16 AM
Reply #7

Komataguri

• Information
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Ok, so perhaps I was to hopeful to get away with this being a stand alone and easily removeable self contained mod.

two days of failure after failure with my incessant urge to overcomplicate things, I've come up with something that will work...as soon as I figure out how to remake the upper peg to fit the new scheme.

I'll post pics later.

October 29, 2006, 12:56:03 PM
Reply #8

Komataguri

• Information
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Poop.

Any idea I've had to make it a stand alone thing either failed or was just do derned big

then I was looking through my HGUC model boxes...and found this part, and with a piece of sprue managed to get it attached to the lower arm

now I'm trying to figure out how to attach it to the upper arm, Even if I have to modify it by cutting off the peg or what not.

Viola

The only problem is, these..I believe...are the knees from my HGUC Zaku II Char Custom...and I only have one.

But..I suppose I could disassemble the Zaku II Char and get one one out of it. I don't really care for the HGUC Zaku II Char anyways, very flimsy and feels very cheap.

My second MG 1/100 RX-79[G] and second HGUC 1/144 RX-78-2 gundams showed up recently..so I'm trying to remain attached to this mod rather than run off and build the new ones XD

October 29, 2006, 05:17:31 PM
Reply #9

GK

• Information
    • View Profile
I have at least 40 of those little things in my parts box  :D
But, a problem with using that is...how are you going to attach it to the upper arm?
It needs a horizontal peg to be held in place and the Gundam has a vertical peg.
You'd need to scrath build a whole new upper arm to make that work.

October 29, 2006, 08:11:28 PM
Reply #10

Komataguri

• Information
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Quote from: "GK"
I have at least 40 of those little things in my parts box  :D
But, a problem with using that is...how are you going to attach it to the upper arm?
It needs a horizontal peg to be held in place and the Gundam has a vertical peg.
You'd need to scrath build a whole new upper arm to make that work.

I think I'm going to have to, since anything I come up with to accomidate the situation without structually changing the mod is way to derned big and fugly, and I can ony shrink it down so far consiering I'm working with a fixed sized polycap and peg.