Author Topic: Gundam RX-79(G) - Mega Man ZX - Color Advice Needed  (Read 2814 times)

October 22, 2006, 01:38:48 PM
Read 2814 times

donovan

• Information
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblog
Hi all. With the exception of my listing of kits for trade in the FFF Swap Meet, this is my first post.

I got a Gundam RX-79(G) MG from the swap meet and I'm going to attempt my first original color design. For my inspiration, I'm using one of the suits from Mega Man ZX (Nintendo DS game). Here's a pic:

So, this is my starting point:

My girlfriend is a graphic design student, so I was asking her for advice and she really seemed to think there was too much red. Also that she didn't like them all one color and suggested 3-4 shades of red or another color.

I haven't done the back picture yet because I want to be sure about what I'm doing before I spend too much time on it. So, I'm looking for help and opinions on making this look better.

Here is the original source file if you want to mess around with it: http://www.donovanmyers.com/model/colored-front.psd

Thanks,
Donovan

October 22, 2006, 01:48:55 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
For starters, the inspiration pic isn't so much red as orange-red. Also, there's too much red on the head. Try doing only the rounded part on the top of the head and the crest in red. Leave the rest white and yellow. Make the center of the chest that dark gray as well to match. Then... MAKE THEM ARM-WEAPON THINGS! That'd be pretty cool. I'd stick with one red color. Using several will make it even more clown-like than it's gonna be.

October 22, 2006, 06:25:42 PM
Reply #2

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
The first thing that came to my mind is Ronald MacDonald.  :lol:

Sorry but that's honestly what I thought, I think it must the the red and yellow and white combination.  I would recommend you to look into the heavyarms (from Wing) color scheme for some inspiration (very similar primary colors).  And yeah like FF said, the arm weapon would be really really cool.  :wink:

October 22, 2006, 07:23:56 PM
Reply #3

GK

• Information
    • View Profile
Along with the other suggestions, I would suggest changing the white to a more off-white color like the Ez8. Going by the picture you posted and from screen shots on IGN, it looks more in line with that color than plain white.

October 22, 2006, 08:16:41 PM
Reply #4

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Quote from: "Major Blah"
The first thing that came to my mind is Ronald MacDonald.  :lol:

Wow... now I can't not see that when I look at it. It's a McGundam! The red and the yellow look kinda... well... awful. I think if, like FF indicated, you brought it closer to orange-red, there might not be so much retina-damage.

And it definitely needs the arm-things!
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

October 22, 2006, 09:23:20 PM
Reply #5

Vinny

• Information
    • View Profile

Real quick, in MS paint, I did some color changes.  I think only the top part of the head should be red, while below the V-Fin should be that cream color.  Also, I think that part where the cockpit opens should be dark grey, too.  In the Megaman picture, he has that little indent on his chest where it's grey like I attempted to show in my picture.
Also, I think you should make all the light grey parts a dark grey too.  The light grey just doesn't work on the model for me.

October 23, 2006, 08:57:46 PM
Reply #6

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
I'll be the odd-ball.

I kinda like the original. It's horrendous, but in that old OLD school mecha way, like Getter Robo, Mazinger, Raideen, Ideon, etc... I don't normally like that kinda thing, it's probably just the old-school pose in the line art.

In general, I'd probably go with a toned-down version. The lineart looks old school, but the model doesn't when it's built. Still, I like it... can't put my finger on why...

Now if you could get some "Jaburo Fire Department" decals made, it would ROCK! :D
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

October 23, 2006, 09:07:35 PM
Reply #7

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Quote from: "Funaka"
I'll be the odd-ball.

I kinda like the original. It's horrendous, but in that old OLD school mecha way, like Getter Robo, Mazinger, Raideen, Ideon, etc... I don't normally like that kinda thing, it's probably just the old-school pose in the line art.

In general, I'd probably go with a toned-down version. The lineart looks old school, but the model doesn't when it's built. Still, I like it... can't put my finger on why...

Now if you could get some "Jaburo Fire Department" decals made, it would ROCK! :D

How about "Our Drive-Thru Is Open 24 Hours" instead?  :D

You make a good point about the "old skool" mecha, though. And the designs and colors of Mega Man certainly seem to pay some homage to that. Those designs tend to be a lot more rounded and unbroken/uncluttered than the RX-79 (G), though. I don't think that particular onslaught of colors compliments the design.

Of course, it's not my model! Regardless of what anyone here says, the decision is ultimately to the builder. They're the one that has to stare at it every day--or certainly more often than it may be viewed on the forums. As such, they're the one that needs to be satisfied with the choices made.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

October 25, 2006, 05:46:27 AM
Reply #8

donovan

• Information
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblog
Thank you all for your valuable feedback.

I definitely think it looks like Mc Donalds now after all your comments. Especially back when I was a kid, they had a lot more purple in their branding. The white was tinted slightly beige but that didn't come across. The red was not as strong on my lap top screen either.

So, here's my revision:

I got rid of the red and only went with orange. I used gray for the underlying frame. After starting to snap together the parts to get a feel for the kit I now see a few areas that the color didn't make sense. Now the purple is only decorative.

So, is this a step forward or back?

Thanks again,
Donovan

October 25, 2006, 05:48:37 AM
Reply #9

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Definitelt a step forward as it looks more like the GM G now.

October 25, 2006, 06:00:37 AM
Reply #10

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
I like the new scheme much better.  You might want to try out dropping the bluish -grey with the grey you have for the internals.   :)

October 25, 2006, 07:38:11 AM
Reply #11

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thiscowispurple.com/
The way this colour scheme is progressing it'll look like a orange powered GM kinda colour scheme in no time... I like the most recent one and I see you're trying to keep the blueish colour on the feet from the megaman. Maybe just a dash of that colour would do? maybe its cos it conflicts with the grey. I think you should do whatever you like!! I'd make a macdonalds mascot if i wanted to.  8)
www.thiscowispurple.com
I'm trying to decrease my talk : model ratio.
Less talk more model!

October 25, 2006, 08:18:47 AM
Reply #12

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
I think the present color scheme is a step in the right direction, have you considered adding different shades of orange to the different parts of the Gundam MS.

For example, making the knee and shoulder armor a darker shade of orange.
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

October 25, 2006, 09:32:56 AM
Reply #13

donovan

• Information
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblog
clee-cm:

After seeing philgoodwin's mockup for his HGUC Rick Dias in this post, I was definitely thinking of doing shades of orange:

http://fichtenfoo.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?p=17743#17743

I'm going to work on it tonight. I just don't want it to end up looking like FichtenFoo's first comment - a clown. I think I can pull it off.

--

I agree that the purple and grey are competitive, but my plan for painting is do the grey a metallic finish so it looks metal and the purple will look like a paint job.[/url]