Author Topic: Having a little trouble with the nubs...  (Read 2940 times)

Vinny

• View Profile
Having a little trouble with the nubs...
« on: October 01, 2006, 11:02:06 PM »
First off, love the site, it actually got me to get back into modeling.  This time, I'm going the distance and I'm painting the models to look just like the box.  My first kit, and I'm so glad the store I went to had it, is the Master Grade Gundam F-91.
Anyways, I'm having a little bit of trouble with the nubs left on the piece from the tree.  To clarify just in case, you know how when you cut a piece from the tree, there's always a litle bit of plastic form the tree left on it?  That's what I'm talking about.  
I made the little sanding sticks and I wet sand the little nubs down (with 380 grit sandpaper, as it's the finest I could find) till I'm pretty sure they're level, but when I go to paint, they spot still ends up being lighter and you can tell there was a nub there if you look carefully.
Any tips on sanding these things?  Also, is it really bad if I sand other parts of the model when trying ot sand the nub?  I've done that, and I see the pieces get a bit scratched up, but when I airbrush them, they come out fine.  
Thanks!

gamerabaenre

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 11:10:16 PM »
Read through this page: http://www.gamerabaenre.com/flashremoval.htm
It should answer your question.

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • FFF Staff
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 05:45:03 AM »
Gamera's tutorial's really good, it should answer your questions.

There's this tutorial from FF as well.

pu_rplecow

• View Profile
    • http://www.thiscowispurple.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 06:02:56 AM »
It might be showing up as a light patch because you didn't prime or the paint you layed on wasn't thick enough? just a guess..
www.thiscowispurple.com
I'm trying to decrease my talk : model ratio.
Less talk more model!

Vinny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 01:16:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  I've been doing what the FF model guide says,  but a little bit of the nub still shows up.  Maybe I'm just not sanding enough.
I'm going to try and put on some extra coats of paint and sand better, and if that doesn't work, I'll give that nail file trick a try.  Thanks again!

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 02:26:56 PM »
Try to remove as much of the nub as possible with clippers or a razor before sanding. That'll make removal much easier.
Rust is beautiful.

Vinny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 11:30:05 PM »
Funny thing, my mom was visiting today, and saw me sanding with one of the sanding sticks I made and she said it looked just like a nail file, and apparently, her boyfriend has cases of nail files he got from somewhere.  So, she gave me a few she had in the car, and I tried them out, and they work WONDERS.  I sand most of the nub away with the really gritty side, then use the very fine side to flatten it out and even it out.  Seriously, with this method, you can't even tell there was a nub BEFORE even painting it.  Thanks for posting that link, Gamera.  Came in handy :)

gamerabaenre

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 11:49:11 PM »
I really should update some of my tutorials... they're starting to get dated.   :shock:

And from my little suggestion today, I really should invest in some quality control on my tutorials... speak of which, anyone download my tutorial and take a look yet?  Looking for feedback incase I'm giving poor advice and what not.