Author Topic: Anyone know Malaysian polystyrene suppliers?  (Read 2935 times)

Ad

• View Profile
Anyone know Malaysian polystyrene suppliers?
« on: September 20, 2006, 03:48:57 AM »
Hi, first time posting here, freshly registered too. Right... I've done some looking around, and I've not really seen anyone mention what kind of polystyrene they use for scratchbuilding. I was thinking of using the stuff the architects use, is that what you guys are using too? I've read that it comes in rods, tubes and sheets, so I made a little assumption and bought a sheet to experiment with. Do you use any other materials besides polystyrene? I'd previously seen others using corrugated cardboard as well, but it looks a little iffy to me... No time to muck about with it yet, but the weekend fast approaches!
    Now, next question. I'm in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I'd notice a few of the other forum members are also from here. If any of you guys could help me out with locations for affordable scratchbuilding supply stores that you frequent, I would be very grateful. See... I've just gotten into modelling kits again, after about 20 years but I want to focus on customising the kits that I've acquired instead of just building and painting them. Any help on sources for these materials would be very much appreciated indeed. Thanks in advance.

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 04:47:19 AM »
Welcome aboard, Ad.

First off, let me say that I have no idea where you can pick up styrene in Malaysia--hopefully someone here on the boards might have some insight on that.

For what it's worth, here in the U.S., the major two hobby styrene suppliers are Evergreen and Plastruct. I believe Evergreen is available around the world--based on pictures I've seen in hobby magazines. And Plastruct appears to sell and ship internationally directly from their website. You might also try model railroading shops in your area, as they often carry hobby styrene, as well.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

Ad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 05:43:03 AM »
Thanks, a most prompt response. Judging from the links you sent me to, I think its pretty safe to assume that the architectural mock up modelling polystyrene foam is more than adequate for my needs. Right, back to work. Got to try and figure out how to give my J9-Griffon articulate fingers. ;)
Thanks again.

Ad

• View Profile
Found it. Finally.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 07:38:51 AM »
Found a store in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia that sells polystyrene, the Evergreen stuff. Looks cheap too. Here's the address if anyone is interested.

Multifilla (M) Sdn Bhd,
No 1, Jalan 2/2,
Taman Industri Selesa Jaya,
Balakong, 43300 Selangor Darul Ehsan,
Malaysia.

They have a site, too, with a listing of all the stock that they carry. Not just plastic modeller's supplies, but all sorts of Art/Design related equipment. The look a lot better than Nanyang or Venus Art for that matter. Anyone looking for polystyrene and other scratchbuilding supplies in KL, check out the link: http://www.multifilla.com/

Hope I could help someone. Thanks again, zerobxu, I would have never found it if I didn't know to search for "Evergreen styrene Malaysia" on google.

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 08:08:14 AM »
You're welcome, Ad--and good luck.

Years ago, I read somewhere (a tutorial, maybe?) that a good way to stock up on styrene was to just buy a little bit every time you're near the store. I followed this advice and every time I was near my local hobby store, I'd stop in and pick up either some pipes or strips or sheets or angles--and a "mini" Tamiya acrylic paint. As a result, I've got a fairly decent supply of styrene and paint for anything that might come up. Oh, and philgoodwin gave me the best idea I've heard for storing the styrene (everything but the sheets): "Pringles" cans.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

Ad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 09:16:19 AM »
Good idea, that. Unfotunately, the store is quite out of the way... Outside the city where I live even. Oh well, C'est La Vie. Looks like I have a bit of a drive ahead of me this weekend. As for the Pringles... Dang. I'm going to have to find something else to use as an ashtray now. Ah... The many uses of the humble Pringles can.