Author Topic: JGSDF Type82 1:35 - weathering exercise  (Read 1359 times)

September 13, 2006, 05:47:51 AM
Read 1359 times

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi,
My name is Eyal, and I'm new to this forum. I usually build AFVs, dioramas and have recently discovered  Gundam and Mecha models.

As I don't have yet a fully built model of a Mech (though I did post some progress pictures of my first in the in progress forum), Here is the last model I finished. It is 99% done, and I need to add depth to the wheel marks on the ground, and add the periscope glasses from cut film.

Some words on the model:
The model is from Trumpeter, scale 1:35, lots of cleaning to do, added Eduard PE detail set.

Painted in Tamiya Acrylics - I started by painting the driver compartment using preshading technique, glued the body parts and painted the camo. Weathering was done with controlled pin wash of oil colors, and MIG pigments applied wet with white wpirit or Acrylic thinner.

The figures are Tamiya's JGSDF humanitarian troopers, with replacement heads from Hornet asian set. The mustache was made from Green stuff. The flesh is oil color, the uniform are Humbrol enamels and model masters, shaded with oil washes. I have to say that I have a lot of improving to do shading and highlighting camo uniform, and I'll try to improve it with the camo of the rocket troops I'm working on.

The ground is based on foamcore, pasted with papier mache and grovel. Painted in Floquil dark brown, and weathered with MIG pigments. The grass and flowers are from Silflor.

For me it  was a different and very enjoyable project. And I plan to do the Tamiya JGSDF LAV in the future.

Thanks for watching,
Eyal.

http://www.degem.net/afv/display/type82/index.php

September 13, 2006, 06:02:01 AM
Reply #1

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Hi Eyal,

Looks good, I think this is a beautiful piece.  They do look like Asians.  :lol:

I spot some silvering at the "101" decal at the front and back of the vehicle.  Considering the high level of realism given by the rest of your finish, this flaw is rather noticeable.  

I have this kit in my stash too.  I thought the newer Trumpeter is supposed to be rather "clean" guess not then...

September 13, 2006, 06:03:51 AM
Reply #2

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Welcome to FFF. Very nice work. I've been into the JGSDF stuff lately. How was the Edwaurd set? What did it update? Those figs are great too. I'll be using some of my set for my Type 74.

September 13, 2006, 06:11:04 AM
Reply #3

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Yeah, there is silvering in that decal  :oops: .

I did the whole Future/Microset/Microsol procedure, so I guess the problem is in a too thin future layer, and I'm not sure the decals themselves were not at fault :).

I'll take a look at the model itself, and maybe add some MIG "Hiding the modelling error" Pigment  on it to conceal it a bit.

Regarding cleaning the model - too much of it, I had to replace almost all handles with wire. It is an impressive model and I think that the work is worth it.

Thanks for the feedback.

- I missed the second reply:
The Eduard set is very useful and I used almost all the bits.
I guess that pictures are better than words, so here is a link to my building thread in my forum:

http://www.degem.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3218

September 13, 2006, 06:14:28 AM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
try lightly scorring the decal with a sharp exacto blade then applying more microsol. This usually works for me in setting difficult silvered decals.

September 13, 2006, 07:11:32 AM
Reply #5

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Eyal - It's a great looking piece. Definitely something that folks like myself can refer to when trying to get a feel for getting 1:35 projects done right. Also, I appreciate the fact that you took pictures of it from such a wide variety of angles--it really helps the viewer better understand what you've done here.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers