Author Topic: OrangeCon 2006: Now with Pictures :)  (Read 4472 times)

September 06, 2006, 01:57:44 PM
Read 4472 times

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
About 5 and a half weeks or so until this event:
Flyer Link: http://216.32.199.25/ipmsoc/OrangeCon/orangecon.htm

Date: Sunday, October 15th, 2006

Titan Student Union's Titan Conference Center Portola Pavilions A & B
Fullerton, CA

Time: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Rule/Categories: http://216.32.199.25/ipmsoc/OrangeCon/cont...0categories.htm <--- Standalone Gundam/Mecha Category!

For all you folks that live in SoCal, come on out and enter, or just check out things. I'll be there, Bhop has already stated that he'll be going.  There are a couple of modelers from San Diego that make the 1.5-2 hour trek up here for this event; and I know there are quite a few SD gunpla builders here.  There are even a group of folks from Las Vegas and Fresno that travel out here for this even.  Time for you guys to show off some of your completed Gunpla/resin figure kits!

Below are pictures I took from last year's event:
http://www.gamerabaenre.com/orangecon05.htm

September 06, 2006, 04:37:14 PM
Reply #1

Titan-ex

• Information
    • View Profile
Looks like last year featured Armor Dios,and good ones at that.

You going to watch or enter Gamerabaenre?

September 06, 2006, 04:52:00 PM
Reply #2

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Well, the majority of the model enteries are armor, planes, and cars.  Scifi has always been in a small corner at the back... and gundam even smaller... which is why I'm trying to promote this as much as possible.  Gotta get some gundams to kick some plastic butt.

Yes, I'll be entering a couple of the kits I've completed since last year's Orangecon.  As well as enjoying the event as a camera nerd model junkie....

Last year I got to meet gtetra from this and the CoM boards who brought this kit: http://fichtenfoo.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?p=3450
That won  2nd place in the Gundam/Mecha Category.  Behind Bhop who won 1st for this kit: http://fichtenfoo.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=535&highlight=

I was also told that a couple of past gundam buiilders/winners are coming this year too... so hopefully there will be a really nice gunpla turnout.

September 14, 2006, 10:13:51 PM
Reply #3

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
I'd love to check it out, I live in Anaheim, so it's right next door.  I'd like to check out IPMS, too. I work Sundays, but get off at 2:30, so I might be able to get in before it ends.

However, I don't know how I'd enter models unless I could bring them by before the event. It'd be a good reason to get my GP01 hangar done. Heck it'd be a good reason to get ANYTHING done...  :lol:
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

September 15, 2006, 12:51:13 AM
Reply #4

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
If anything, I can bring them there for you.  There's an IPMS meeting tomorrow: Friday September 15.  All the info is here: http://216.32.199.25/ipmsoc/club%20pages/meetings.htm

La Quinta Inn and Suites
3 Centerpointe Drive, La Palma, CA 90623

Centerpointe Room

Meeting starts at 7:30.  First timers are free.  I'm going to the meeting tomorrow.  Model theme is anything, any era, build/used by the Japanese...  Hmm.. Shin Matsunaga sounds japanese enough.. :)

October 14, 2006, 04:27:52 AM
Reply #5

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Just wanted to post on this thread to put it back on top of the pile since OrangeCon is tomorrow. I'm going in the afternoon since I get out of work at 2:30. My models are going with my wife in the morning since I'm literally going to put the finishing touches on one of them tonight... :o

Hopefully I'll see some of the FFF members there. :)

Please visit Funakatown

October 14, 2006, 05:15:46 AM
Reply #6

fredpekker

• Information
    • View Profile
Take lots of pics, Gam! Good luck in the modeling contest.

October 14, 2006, 07:38:27 AM
Reply #7

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Good luck to gam, Funaka, and any other FFF members competing!
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

October 14, 2006, 10:15:03 AM
Reply #8

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks... sweet.  Bhop is going to be there too.  Looking forward to tomorrow's comp, should be a very nice turnout and some tough competition.  WOOHOO!

October 15, 2006, 04:25:55 AM
Reply #9

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
I just realized I have no idea how I'll find you guys at OrangeCon...

I won't be able to check FFF or email before I go since I'm off to work, but I'll be there around 3:30 and I'll be wearing a black sweatshirt with the flaming red letters "CPSU" on it. My name is Dan and I'm 6'2" and Latino, so I shouldn't be too hard to spot.

If my models make it there you can look for my Hot Rod Zeong and GP01 Hangar diorama.

Hope to see some of you there!

Please visit Funakatown

October 15, 2006, 06:03:22 PM
Reply #10

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile

October 16, 2006, 05:23:15 PM
Reply #11

Vinny

• Information
    • View Profile
Ah damn, I wish I saw this sooner :(  It's ot to far of a drive from where I live.

October 19, 2006, 04:10:59 PM
Reply #12

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
How far are you from Lancaster?  There's an IPMS show - Desert Classic X that's happening on November 4th.  I'm thinking about going to this one...  http://www.avg-ipms.org for more info.

October 20, 2006, 07:34:26 AM
Reply #13

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Just wanted to make my report on OrangeCon.

First off it was nice to meet Gamera and Bhop in person. I had to miss you guys at AX, but I'll be there next year, I'm sure! We'll have to geek out and get some FFF T-shirts made up so we can represent! :D At OrangeCon the contest director mentioned that he was happy with the high Sci-Fi turnout, so I guess we're coming up in the modeling world.

This was my first modeling event. It was nice to be in a big room full of models and model builders. In the short time I was there (I work Sundays and had to go after work, DOH) I learned a few things just listening in on other people's conversations. After going to OrangeCon, I think I'll start going to IPMS meetings. It's nice to meet people who speak modelese and I'll probably learn a ton.

I enjoyed looking at all of the models. Some were just clean OOB builds. Others were modified and finished in a very realistic way. Some models were finished with oils and pigments in a way that was more artistic than realistic. There was one M4 Sherman tank in particular that looked like a 3D oil painting.

Maybe if I have time later I'll post pics of a few of my favorites.

Sadly I just took 2 models since I had to ask my dad to take them in for me (wow, that makes me sound 12, I'm really 32, I was just at work at the time...). I really wish I woulda brought my P-47 Thunderbolt... The good news is that both models I did enter received recognition! My "Hot Rod" Zeong got honorable mention in the Mecha category, which I was very pleased with considering the competition, especially from Gamera's beautiful FSS Phantom (which got NO recognition... Hello? Judges???) :shock: , VF-0S and Gyan. I also had the dubious honor of winning second place in Sci-Fi dioramas with my GP01 Hangar diorama. There were, you guessed it, TWO entries.  :(  In a minute I'll post my completed GP01 Hangar on the FFF model gallery, check it out.

The most fun of the whole show was watching the contest director try to pronounce words like "Zeong", Zephyranthes" and "Matsunaga"! :razz:

Please visit Funakatown

October 20, 2006, 07:43:32 AM
Reply #14

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Congrats, Funaka!  Looks like a fun event.  Gamera, did you net many prizes??  I saw some trophies at the bottom of your page.

October 20, 2006, 08:03:17 AM
Reply #15

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Congrats guys! Looked like a good sci-fi turnout none the less.

FFF shirts? Would anyone REALLY wear let alone purchase an FFF shirt? I know I probably wouldn't and it's my board! :lol: Maybe FFF buttons or something?

October 20, 2006, 08:35:03 AM
Reply #16

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey Dan, there's a IPMS OC meeting tonight.  I'm going to try making it.  Tonight's scifi night too... so bring that Gundam '78 you have.  I'm going to try finishing up my Kampfer or at least make it sorta presentable and bring it out tonight.

I entered into three categories for OrangeCon.  Sci Fi Mecha, Sci Fi Figures, and Humor in modeling.

The Gyan took a first in Sci Fi Mecha, Dark Elf and Saber took first and second respectively in sci fi figures, and "the  Vet" took third in Humor in modeling.  The judge came over and talked to me about why what won and such.  The Phantom just had some detail issues such as misaligned areas that took it out of the running.  The Phantom really was a horrible case.  Never again will I buy a recast FSS kit.  The extra 30-40 bucks needed to buy an original is really worth it.  According to the judge the competition came down to basic building techniques.  They were simply looking for flaws such as flash, glue marks, etc.

I had a really good time.  I always enjoy going to these events because I learn quite a bit.  And it's always cool to get some old school modeler come up and ask you questions on how you did something and be completely amazed.

edit:  And I was surprised that the Dio didn't beat out that Sinbad dio.  The '83 dio definately should have placed first.

October 20, 2006, 09:41:40 AM
Reply #17

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
FFF shirts? Would anyone REALLY wear let alone purchase an FFF shirt?

Assuming the color/style of the shirt matched the color/style of FFF... I'd buy two.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers