Author Topic: MG Gyan Progress  (Read 1556 times)

August 31, 2006, 10:34:18 PM
Read 1556 times

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
I snapped this kit this past weekend, and over this past week, I've been slowly sanding the internals, and doing a little bit of drilling for a few areas on the body for some metal beads.  Going to try to finish this by OrangeCon, and hopefully before my figure kits get here from Japan *drool*  I'd like to get one of the figures I recently bought finished for OrangeCon too, but not sure if I can do that within 6 weeks.

Progress page is here: http://www.gamerabaenre.com/shin_gyan_prog.htm

September 04, 2006, 11:10:29 PM
Reply #1

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Long weekend update:

A few small mods here and there.

September 05, 2006, 04:05:47 AM
Reply #2

G-Sentinel

• Information
    • View Profile
Looks really nice. I like the different tones added by the masking. I just assembled mine the other day and I''ve been having problems with the switch on the light up sword. Same problem with you?
ou don't need to be hot to model, You just need the right tools.

"I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?'"
  - Jay Leno

September 05, 2006, 05:40:21 AM
Reply #3

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
The monoeye casing is nice but I didn't notice until I read your in-prog.  What about making it shiny so ppl can appreciate your mod?

I like the lengthen spike, and the fact that it's not skewed.  What's your technique?  The backpack is neat too.

September 05, 2006, 09:27:32 AM
Reply #4

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
I think the camo(?) works fantastically well. It gives an impression of shades, on the purple (if you see what I mean).

September 05, 2006, 09:44:46 AM
Reply #5

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
I just assembled mine the other day and I''ve been having problems with the switch on the light up sword. Same problem with you?

As in the the switch doesn't move forward or backward?  I haven't gotten a battery to test it out yet, but I think I know what you are talking about.  I'll see about testing the switch out with a battery tonight; then I'll post what happens.

The monoeye casing is nice but I didn't notice until I read your in-prog. What about making it shiny so ppl can appreciate your mod?

I like the lengthen spike, and the fact that it's not skewed. What's your technique? The backpack is neat too.

I'm still trying to learn my camera, so I think it's the poor lighting and the poor camera skills that are making it hard to see certain things.  At least that's what I'm hoping the problem is...  As for the head spike, I just threw on some epoxy putty and shaped it with my fingers while turning the head.  I then just sanded it with a stragiht edge sanding stick running parallel with the angle of the spike while turning it constantly... hmm.. hard to explain such a visual task.  But I basically eyeballed everything - which usually ends up getting me into all sorts of mis-shapened issues.  

I think the camo(?)

I was a bit worried that the gray would be a little too strong over the white.  I actually wanted a much lighter gray - but I was way too lazy yesterday to custom mix a light gray.  I like how the black fractals came out better than the white/gray areas.

I can't wait to get this sucker finished... so I'll probably be using lacquer clears instead of future (don't have any pending projects to keep me busy whilst the future cures for a week).  On a side note, the primer color/paint I used for the metallics was Finisher's Paint pure black, and the white was also Finisher's Paint pure white.  The stuff is a lacquer based paint that I thinned with Mr Color Thinner.  The stuff is absolutely awsome.  I sprayed on a light tack coat, then pretty much wet sprayed (to get a very glossy finish) - and the paint pretty much cures within minutes.  About 20 minutes after spraying, I was handeling one of the glossy black pieces, no finger prints, completely hardened.  Friggin awsome paints.  So for you guys who like to get your paints from R10 or HobbySearch... grab a couple of these paints... they just so bloody nice.  I have a bunch, and I will be using more of these paints in up coming projects.

September 05, 2006, 10:31:34 AM
Reply #6

G-Sentinel

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "gamerabaenre"
I just assembled mine the other day and I''ve been having problems with the switch on the light up sword. Same problem with you?

As in the the switch doesn't move forward or backward?  I haven't gotten a battery to test it out yet, but I think I know what you are talking about.  I'll see about testing the switch out with a battery tonight; then I'll post what happens.

Yea, it's the darn switch. I don't know if the little tab goes over or under the metal. And to add to that it doesn't even move. If I put the top part on it turns on but won't turn off.  :taz: so frustrating!!!
ou don't need to be hot to model, You just need the right tools.

"I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?'"
  - Jay Leno

September 05, 2006, 10:40:22 AM
Reply #7

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Hmm.. yeah, I have yet to try it with a battery.  Which reminds me that I need to go out and pick up a battery for it.  I lightly sanded hilt part where there are bumps to "notch" the switch.  That seemed to move it a bit, but then again, I didn't have a stupid battery to test with.  I'm guessing the the switch is in the "off" position when it is all the way to the right. (completely inside the hilt).  Then moving it left/clockwise, the switch should press the metal contact up against the battery effectively turning the light on.  But I'm not too sure about this.  Going to take a look over at dalong to see what the guys over there did.

edit: I'm wrong.  I just took a look over at dalong, and took a closer look at the manual.  Apparently the off position should slide the back of the switch wedging the metal contact away from the battery... Oh well, just gotta wait until I get home tonight to test this out...