Author Topic: No-Paint Technique From Dengeki Hobby  (Read 5395 times)

August 16, 2006, 08:13:49 AM
Read 5395 times

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
Danny posted the full article of the No-Paint technique out of Dengeki Hobby and has also made a translation.

No-Paint Technique

Thought It would be helpfull and fun to try out.

Mrex-sgundam
Hey, how's it going?

August 16, 2006, 08:30:06 AM
Reply #1

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Seems like so much work...

If one has to spend so much time to carefully prep the bare plastic, I say why not paint it??

I'm confused... :?

August 23, 2006, 11:25:47 AM
Reply #2

ninjascience

• Information
    • View Profile
    • mechascientific
this sounds perfect for me, as I don't have the space for an airbrush setup anymore.  I might have to give this a try and report back to y'all.

September 07, 2006, 11:07:57 PM
Reply #3

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Well, we've come full circle!

Fichtenfoo and the FFF inspired me to take the plunge and build my models "right" with putty, airbrush, etc...

Now the new trend is to go "unpainted" like I used to do for over 5 years!!! :o

I built over 40 Gundam kits with just enough paint (applied by brush) to make all the colors right. It's an artform in it's own right, and it is pretty satisfying, until you see an airbrushed version of the same kit with mods and a custom paint job.  :(

This page of my website has highlights from my "no paint" days:

http://users.adelphia.net/~funaka/index_files/FT_Collection.html

I have pretty mixed feelings about these kits, and many of them will likely be either rebuilt the "right" way someday (good thing they're snap-together), scrapped for parts for modding purposes, or simply taken off the shelf as I build new models to take their place.

IMO, if possible, go for the airbrush. I tend to look back at my old kits as kind of a waste of time and money that I could have spent biulding models "right".
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

September 08, 2006, 02:31:10 PM
Reply #4

ninjascience

• Information
    • View Profile
    • mechascientific
Funaka:

This method seems like something new.  I think most gunpla folks start with doing a no-paint technique like yours and eventually move to airbrush.  I used to do to airbrushed kits, but since moving to and back from Japan (all over 4 years ago), I haven't touched my kits.  I was getting pretty good, and I'd like to start again, but I don't have the space for a workbench with the whole airbrush setup.  

This new no-paint method has some appeal for me because it's not just snapping the model together and filling in panel lines with a gundam marker.  It looks like it takes a lot of skill to sand all the surfaces just right and get the panel lines looking good, but not to distinct.  It looks like a challenge, and it looks like what you end up with is pretty nice looking.

September 10, 2006, 03:10:50 PM
Reply #5

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
ninjascience-

Sorry, it must have been late at night. I didn't look extensively enough at the article, and misunderstood the technique. This is definitely a lot more than I used to do with my models, and actually makes some nice results. Still, it requires using spray cans and lots of toxic/fumey materials like glues and putties and I can't help but think that it's gotta be just as messy as using an airbrush.  :?

Post your work, I'd like to see how it comes out!
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

July 20, 2007, 10:23:32 AM
Reply #6

BioMech

• Information
    • View Profile
I was searching through the forum and I ran into an old thread where a no paint buffing technique was brought up and then this link was given.

http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/eng/585/Gundam/

Im still working on my first Gundam and I am painting it with Kyrlon spray paint.  I think it looks ok, but its not going to be winning any awards.  And right now I cant justify buying an airbrush.  So I thought it might be cool to try my next Gundam this way.  Anyways I haven't really been able to find any other info on this subject.  Has anyone tried this or have pictures of other kits done in this fashion(particuarly lighter colored kits)?

And I have a couple more questions to ask if anyone has actually done this  ;)

July 20, 2007, 11:30:25 AM
Reply #7

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Please do not start a new thread when there's already an existing one to post in. Topics merged.

July 20, 2007, 12:30:32 PM
Reply #8

BioMech

• Information
    • View Profile
Oh, sorry Foo.  I actually did several searches of this forum to look for more info on this technique and didn't find this thread.  I only looked at the first page of results though.  Next time Ill be more diligent.  I also did a google and couldn't find anything. 

July 20, 2007, 03:55:11 PM
Reply #9

ninjascience

• Information
    • View Profile
    • mechascientific
I never finished this project, but I would say it's an advanced technique and not something to try if you feel like you don't have the skills for airbrush.  I don't know what your skill level is.