Author Topic: How to remove seam and flash on the Vinyl Joint Covers  (Read 2079 times)

Jonkokyan

• View Profile
How to remove seam and flash on the Vinyl Joint Covers
« on: July 29, 2006, 06:36:27 PM »
I just started to build the MG Griffon. How can I remove the seam and flash on the Vinyl Joint Covers? I read the in progress thread of FF's Griffon. FF said that he uses a solder iron to remove it. Is it possible to give me some more information of how to use the solder iron to remove those seams and flash? Another problem that I am facing is that the wings of the griffon is too heavy and the joint that connect the wings and the back is very loose. How can I solve this problem?
Thank you very much

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 06:46:34 PM »
IIRC there's screws on the wings to tighten to fix that. Otherwise try painting the joints to thicken them up.

As for the flash, I just lightly touched it with the solder iron. Really though a better choice woul be to replace the joints with either cloth (fingers from a glove?) or sculpt new ones and fix-pose it using epoxy putty like magic sculpt.
Rust is beautiful.

Jonkokyan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 07:03:25 PM »
Thanks FF for your quick reply. Your suggestion helped so much. The screw is not strong enough to hold the wings, I tried it already :( . I will paint the joints to thicken them up, and I hope it will work. I forgot to ask a question. FF, What kind of flexible paint you used to paint the vinyl joint covers. I have no experience at all on those flexible paint. Also, do I need to prime those vinyl joint covers?
Thank you very much

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 07:12:56 PM »
I actually just painted mine with acrylics the same color as the vinyl. Not a great choice as it chipped off. There's a model car paint that's good for that though called pactrol or pactral or something like that.
Rust is beautiful.

accord99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 09:36:45 PM »
For the flash on vynil, use a high grit (600 or so) sand it on hot water, take a while but it work.