Author Topic: Sharpening scribing tools?  (Read 3325 times)

AndreZero

• View Profile
Sharpening scribing tools?
« on: July 25, 2006, 11:53:33 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows the proper way to sharpen the Hasegawa Scribing tool http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGTT-1  It comes with the little sharpening stone but I'm not sure how to use it.  I've read that some sharpening stones are "wet" and some are "dry" (and the wet is further complicated by what you should wet them with).  Anyone know which kind comes with this tool?

My initial thought was to throw caution to the wind and just start scraping it against the stone but then I realised that I would probably end up with a small blade rather than a fine point.  I'm guessing the tool should be rotated (maybe counter-rotated?) while rubbing it against the stone...

Thanks

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 11:56:40 AM »
Welcome to the forums!  I believe you are right - rotating the tool, while draging it across the stone is probably best (though it'll be a challenge to consistently keep it at the same angle - maybe rest the handle on a block, so it's always at the same height).  As far as lubricant - I would think that sharpening stones all like lubricant, but you should probably use some sort of oil based one - WD-40, or if you have a pair of hair trimmers, some of the oil they use...

AndreZero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:03:19 PM »
Thanks Fulcy.  I'll pick up some WD-40 tonight and try that out.

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:22:17 PM »
You know what would be much easier - chuck the scribe in a drill, start it going, then move the block back and forth at the right angle, with some lubricant.

oteebzo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 04:03:38 PM »
I would just spit on the stone thats how I used  to sharping all my knifes.

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 01:08:28 AM »
Soap can be used also. I have sharpened quite a few knives using soap on the sharpening stone. Not the ideal way to do it but it works.

AndreZero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 04:53:58 AM »
Ok.  So it sounds like the actual fluid I use isn't terribly important, just as long as I have some form of lubricant?

And the powerdrill sounds like an excellent idea fulcy!

Thanks guys!

ele_swkc

• New Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ele-mental.com
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 06:44:47 AM »
Has your tool actually lost its sharpness?

The stones that come with the Tri-Tool scriber and chisels are actually pretty rough. It's easy to take off a lot of metal if you're not careful. When you're running the tip across the stone, try to keep the angle slight and as constant as possible, and only grind the tip as much as it takes to get the point straight.

The only time I've had to sharpen mine was went I bent the tip slightly. It only took a couple passes to straighten the tip out.

AndreZero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 06:50:26 AM »
I think I did exactly what you described.  I dug the point in a bit too deep and ended up bending the tip.  Thats why I want to sharpen it.  

This is my first time trying scribing (all the other models I've done have pretty much been snap together, slap on stickers and call it done, except two that I hand painted) and I haven't quite gotten the hang of how little pressure you need to apply.