Author Topic: Diarama for the french Japan Expo  (Read 2066 times)

July 22, 2006, 03:46:50 PM
Read 2066 times

ben-grimm

• Information
  • It's Globerring Time
    • View Profile
Hye.

With Nico, and other French (Désolé les gars je ne connais pas vos pseudos) friends we made a diarama for The Japan expo wich took pace near of Paris.

It was our fisrt project, we never made something like this before so be indulgent.
Enjoy

Les mecs je comptes sur vous.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v221/MSA-0011/DIo%20JE%202006/

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/ben-grimm/Dio/

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/ben-grimm/Japan%20Expo%202006/

July 22, 2006, 04:31:23 PM
Reply #1

Siwrx

• Information
    • View Profile
Great I just come back from some weeks without internet and I discover you post the photos Ben  :)

To explain a little bit this diorama : we are 8 french gunpla addict and last year we got the idea to make each of us a part of a diorama and to assemble this parts only for 3 days at the "Japan Expo" in Paris, it's one of the biggest convention in France about Japan

So finally 2 of us made the table with the desert, the mountains and the buildings, Nico and Ben-Grim, and each other ahave made at least a "team" of 3 MS or more, personnaly I do the 3 "Desert" Rx-79 and a part of a GM sniper (the weathering is a collective work), all the kits are 1/144 FG  models, with or without scratch, expect from the HGUC Dom Tropen

Sorry to have never introduce myself before, I hope to post more in the future

waiting for your comments

:)

July 22, 2006, 09:37:16 PM
Reply #2

Cmdr Harabec

• Information
    • View Profile
The Diorama itself is fantastically built - excellent job on the painting and buildings, as well as the rock formations.

However.. I feel that the various poses of the mecha are a little bland. There just doesn't seem to be a very rushed feel to it all - Some of the MS are standing pretty erect, in a rather still pose.

What did you use for the dust blasts and exhaust streams? Cotton? They look excellent.

July 23, 2006, 03:04:05 AM
Reply #3

Siwrx

• Information
    • View Profile
In fact we haven't decided for the pose of each mecha before we met so we tried to make something coherent a the final, I thing with the photos you loose much of the dynamics you could find when you saw the all diorama

for the exhaust yes it's cotton, for the dust blast we melt it with the same pigments you can find on all the diorama, the flying GM were really something spontaneous, it wasn't envisaged at all but we thinked also this diorama was a great occasion to make some experimentation ^^

July 23, 2006, 10:00:37 AM
Reply #4

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
You know nou why I couldn't finish the TiTAN GB. :oops:

We were 8 on this project. 4 living around Paris (Ben is ten minutes from my flat) The over guys all around the country. We had a girl in our team  :razz:

Ben and I did the dio itself. It 's 1.6 m wide * 3m long.
The hills were build with polyfoam. We worked it with hamers, cutters and metalic brushes.
Then we use white acrylic paint with pigments to do the different layers. We did a brown red wash all over the surface then dry brushed it with 5 cm wide brushes !
We finally used 2 colors of pigments to simulate sand.

Ben did a huge job on the hangar. It's not perfect but we are going to improve this dio for future shows. I think we will try expensive foam to simulate trusters busrt and explosions.

July 23, 2006, 12:41:18 PM
Reply #5

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Aside from the poses and other things mentioned, I think this is a terrific project for a group. I really like how it's turning out and am looking forward to seeing the additions.

July 23, 2006, 08:55:20 PM
Reply #6

ttmnky

• Information
    • View Profile
I think the diorama is beautiful, especially the mountains

I'm wondering what you made the buildings and gates out of though? Is it foam core board (Foam in between two pieces of paper), or was it sytrene, or was it just foam?

Also, I think that there might be too many mecha on the diorama... seems a bit busy. I'd suggest setting up a bunch of gundams walking into an ambush, as the diorama could incorporate that perfectly...

I LOVE the diorama. Very good job.

July 23, 2006, 11:57:12 PM
Reply #7

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
For the gates we used what we call "carton plume" Foam between two sheets of heavy duty paper.

The hangar was fisrt built with this material but Ben changed his mind and rebuilt it with styren.
The over buildings were made with styren, a plastic box, etc.

July 24, 2006, 08:02:16 AM
Reply #8

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
It looks great--and I admire the fact that this is a "group build" where the group is each contributing components or skills to a larger, singular piece. It's inspirational.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

July 25, 2006, 07:19:44 AM
Reply #9

mikiwank

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey, hey :lol:
Happy to see that you like our work. This project requires that has to be developed.  I must acknowledge that we were very happy of these 3 days.
For my part, I made for this diorama 7 kits: 2guntanks modified, 3RGM79-G (oranges), 1RX79-G (that in the hangar) and 1 RGM sniper.  Your commantaires is the good come.  :)