Author Topic: Putty Questions  (Read 39415 times)

OYWM

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 05:18:10 PM »
Quote from: "G-Sentinel"
I have a puttying question, while visiting Japan, I picked up some Tamiys putty. When I first used it, I realized that this was for filling gaps and not for major sculpting. Is there a type of putty that can be recommended for actual customization of kits?

There are many choices when it comes to putty. I prefer to use two-part epoxy putties lke Miliput or Magic sculp. There are some other epoxies such as aves and tamiya epoxy. The great thing about an epoxy putty is that you can do most of your sculpting while it's soft but it may take hours to cure and sanding can be pretty tedious.

Your next option would be a polyester putty such as Bondo or Mori Mori (japanese hobby brand). Bondo is everywhere in the US and it is pretty cheap. polyester putties are hard to work with IMO because you basically mix it up and slap it in the intended area then it's hard as a rock in a few minutes. Polyester's do have a few good points though, you can do hours of work/wating in a few minutes and while curing they are easy to cut and shape with a new ex-acto blade.

In the end I prefer epoxy because it isn't nearly as toxic as Polyester and you can actually use your hands while you shape and tool it.
Got Gunze?

Shadowfire

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/crackpotsmoker
Putty Questions
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 10:16:07 AM »
I have a question regarding the use of Liquid Nails (http://www.liquidnails.com/home.do) as a substitute for epoxy putty. I doubt many people have tried so I'll go ahead and give it a shot and let you guys know how it works (It's becuase I have about 30 some-odd tubes of it lying around in my garage and a few 20 more or so at school.) but just in case someone does have some information, please just go ahead and tell me how it goes.
ime is of the essence.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
Putty Questions
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 11:04:07 AM »
Do a test. Liquid nails though... I believe that never completely cures to a hard enough form to sand. That's what my father-in-law (general contractor) tells me.
Rust is beautiful.

mtomczek

• paid by the force
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Putty Questions
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2006, 05:19:05 PM »
Anyone know of a place to buy Milliput?? I've been looking for the yellow/grey type and cannot find it anywhere.

Thanks!

Shadowfire

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2006, 05:25:55 PM »
Lol. I see you live in Oakland. Over here in the bay area there aren't that many shops that i know of that sell epoxy putty (especially milliput) directly fromt he store. You gotta check it online. Try this http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=81007
ime is of the essence.

mtomczek

• paid by the force
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Putty Questions
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2006, 05:33:16 PM »
Quote from: "Shadowfire"
Lol. I see you live in Oakland. Over here in the bay area there aren't that many shops that i know of that sell epoxy putty (especially milliput) directly fromt he store. You gotta check it online. Try this http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=81007

I've found a bunch of places that carry the Tamiya epoxy putty, but it comes in such small quantities that its pretty cost prohibitive for large projects. :(

Thanks for the link.

fear no evil

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2006, 05:42:55 PM »
Alternatively you can use another brand of epoxy, Aves Apoxie sculpt.  It comes in larger quantities and its better in the long run than buying packs of tamiya or milliput as it's cheaper.
Starship modeler store

I highly recommend the store.

Shadowfire

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2006, 05:50:53 PM »
Quote from: "mtomczek"

I've found a bunch of places that carry the Tamiya epoxy putty, but it comes in such small quantities that its pretty cost prohibitive for large projects. :(

Thanks for the link.

No problem, man. I understand where you're coming from with the price tag which is why i wanna see if the liquid nails idea would work. I believe it's about 5-6 dollars a tube.
ime is of the essence.

Zoccoli

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2006, 08:29:43 PM »
Quote from: "mtomczek"
Anyone know of a place to buy Milliput?? I've been looking for the yellow/grey type and cannot find it anywhere.

Thanks!

I just bought some from this site, which I believe has been recommended on these forums previously. It hasn't shipped yet, so I can't give a review of their shipping/customer service. No problems yet, though.

Yeah, it sucks having so few options for hobby stores here in the East Bay. The only one under an hour's drive from me is Wold's Hobbies in Dublin, and he doesn't always carry what I need. He does have the full line of Tamiya paints, though, which is really nice.

oteebzo

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 10:31:17 AM »
So the other day I decided to try out the new tube of squadron putty. This stuff is really thick and starts to crmble and dry out fast. It made it hard to work with.  

So I tried a drop of 91% alcohol which diluted it well enough that I could brush the putty on. I will find out how each set of pieces sand tonight if I get time.

oteebzo

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2006, 08:13:57 PM »
Ok guys so I have been really inspired by the kampfer comp that i have been work on somthing.

My question is , I have been seeing you guys talk about this magic sculpt an i was wondering if it was good to fill gaps in armor?

I have been using the tamaya 2 part putty and I am almost out so i need something new. What do you guys think should I buy or try something else? Foo I know you use this so how does it hold up? shrink? sculpt easy?

Vinny

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2006, 09:15:11 PM »
I bought a tube of Squadron putty today.  The green variety, since the man at the hobby store said there was difference between it and white, and green would be easier to see on a model.
I mixed it with alchol in the ratio of about two thrids putty, one third 91% alcohol.  It's freaking magical how this stuff works.  I brush it on (bought a $.50 paint brush at Michaels) and it dries practically instantly.  And since it's mixed witht he alcohol, it flows through the gaps, but still fills them to make the pieces level.  Also, fills in holes I may have after cutting the sprue off.  I highly suggest trying the stuff!

tehmarken

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2006, 04:05:06 PM »
So it turned out my local hobby shop has a good supply of Tamiya products, including putty. I tried going to Bawoo's site, but I can't get his tips section to work =/

Anyways, there any special instructions for using tamiya putty,like thinning it or anything?

Also, how long should ti dry before sanding? The box  didn't have anything I could understand other than toxicity warnings =/

Oliphont

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 11:31:23 AM »
I had more of a technique question regarding putties like Tamiya Basic.

1. Do you guys (generally speaking), take for example two leg pieces, glue them together...allow to dry...THEN see if putty is needed?, or do you always apply the putty regardless...allow to dry...then sand?

2. Do you apply the putty progressively in thin layers (i.e. layer, sand, layer, sand, layer) but in very very thin layers? Or do you just apply whatever amount and allow to dry and then sand?

If you can link a good tutorial, thatd be great. I tried the Bawoo one, but i couldn't get it to work :(

thanks,
Ollie

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Putty Questions
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 11:54:21 AM »
I think there's going to be some variety to the answers here, but this is just how I'd answer it.
Quote from: "Oliphont"
1. Do you guys (generally speaking), take for example two leg pieces, glue them together...allow to dry...THEN see if putty is needed?, or do you always apply the putty regardless...allow to dry...then sand?

Regardless of whether I think it needs it or not, a seam usually ends up looking like it should have had it if you paint a seam un-puttied. Of course, this is also a result of the type of glue I use. Some other adhesives (Tamiya?) actually melt the plastic together and allow you to sand off the "ridge" where the two pieces fused. So the short answer for me is that I putty every visible seam--because it needs it. Other answers may vary.

Quote from: "Oliphont"
2. Do you apply the putty progressively in thin layers (i.e. layer, sand, layer, sand, layer) but in very very thin layers? Or do you just apply whatever amount and allow to dry and then sand?

As thinly as possible, while still ultimately hiding the seam. And sometimes it's too thin and you'll need to add more putty.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

gamerabaenre

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2006, 12:17:33 PM »
I've used tamiya extra thin cement to "weld" the two plastic pieces together.  One that cures, I sand and the look to see if there were any bubbles or tiny missed areas.  There usually are.  So I apply a layer of Mr Surfacer 500 (putty of my choice) over the seam area and let that cure over night.  Sand it and I can usually see where the putty fills in the areas.  Prime it and the seam is gone.  As for a tutorial.  Grab this one and see if it helps any:
My Model building tutorial in MS Power Point
I have pictures of this process here.

Oliphont

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 12:22:56 PM »
Ok, because here is what i have been doing, and i just wanted an 'ok' from the pros :D

Ive been using basic Testors cement for 'most' large pieces with seams to get them as close together as possible. After that dries, i get rid of all the gunk left over. I have an old credit card that i use to apply the Tamiya Basic Putty or i use my finger. Its been really hard to handle the putty so far with just that, what usually happens is i apply it unevenly and sanding becomes a long ordeal. Curves and uneven surfaces have given me the worst issues (see the inner shoulders of the Neue Ziel in the finished gallery).

That ok?

PS. Sorry for all the nub questions, just wanna learn more and more :D

braxat2000

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 11:41:49 PM »
Hi Oliphant,

I got a tip from a friend at the club, and started using an artists metal spatula for applying the putty.

Its very easy to use, and has the extra value of appyling the putty to plain surfaces. As the spatula is metal, you can clean it using liquid cement or thinner. And its cheap too, you can get it from any art store.

thor777

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2006, 09:08:51 AM »
You can get Magic Sculpt from http://kitkraft.biz.  I will buy some in the near future and will post my results/opinions.

Maxamor

• New Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.maxamor.net
Magic Sculpt
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2006, 04:42:10 PM »
You can also get Magic Sculpt (http://www.magicsculp.com/) from your local Tap Plastics plastic store. The Tap Plastics where I live has it, which I find sort of odd.