Author Topic: Putty Questions  (Read 40456 times)

Shin Matsunaga

• View Profile
Re: Putty Questions
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2009, 04:06:13 PM »
I second that. Mori Mori should be more expensive and harder to find that Magic Sculpt.

Not for me.  I can get almost anything. I was just wondering which is better.

CidHighwind

• Jumping onto White Base!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2009, 06:08:57 PM »
Hi!  I'm new, as I'm just starting to build Gundam models, but Ive been making and painting Warhammer 40K miniatures and leads as well for some time now.  But I'm at a loss, because most of my supplies arent suitable for this type of model (or the kind of quality I want).  And I have no hobby stores for a hundred miles from where I live, so no help there.  Since most of the stuff you guys recommend is of the Gunze, Tamiya and Mr. Hobby variety, I have trouble getting this asian product in the U.S. without resorting to overseas shipping (not good for $20 of supplies that I want soon).

So, my problem is I would like a good quality, easy to use seam and crack filler.  FF recommends Tamiya Basic Grey, but I'm having trouble finding it for a decent price Item+Shipping.  What else works well?  Tamiya White?  Mr. Surfacer?  Hopefuilly something that has minimal plastic meltage and shrink.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2009, 06:51:25 PM »
Well, do you just need a basic putty? I've also been using the Bondo spot and glazing putty. It's red and you get a lot. Check Walmart!
Rust is beautiful.

CidHighwind

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2009, 07:07:42 PM »
Whatever works well for basic crack and seam filling.  Im not a sculptor; thats something I havent practiced enough.

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2009, 07:25:38 PM »
You build 40K then you should have some green stuff lying around. It can be a little soft when cured but so can Tamiya smooth type. If you can find the brown stuff for metal minis, use it. It works great.

There are online hobby store in the US that sell the import stuff. There's a whole thread for 'em.

Michael, I should post up the Putty Article in here, putty is hot lately. I'll get to finishing it this week.
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

CidHighwind

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »
You know, I DO have some of that stuff around, but I find it very hard to work with.  Perhaps I got a bad batch, but it pretty much has no stick to plastic, exactly where you want it to go!  That and it seems impossible to push down into a gap.  I was hoping for something of the "smear it on, forget about it" variety.

Thanks for the help so far!

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2009, 04:27:42 AM »
Try the tube of bondo then.
Rust is beautiful.

CidHighwind

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2009, 09:08:27 AM »
Thank you!

network24

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2009, 06:55:58 PM »
After using cement on a seam and sanding can I just use Mr. Surfacer 500 or do i need to use Tamiya Basic Putty first? I noticed that "gamerabaenre" just used Mr. Surfacer but no one really said if it was a good idea or not. Also can I just use any cheap tamiya brush to apply Mr. Surfacer 500?

PS: FF I know you told me to post my questions in one thread but I really needed an answer to this question. I've been reading for hours and I haven't found the answer. Please do not ban me for this.

Ezechiel

• FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2009, 06:52:33 AM »
Depends if you still have a gap or if the glue has correctly filled the gap between the parts. What brand of glue are you using?

You plan to use Mr. Surfacer as a putty, right? Not as a primer? Because if you're planning to prime by applying Mr. surfacer 500 (which is not the smoothest primer btw) with a brush, be ready for a pretty coarse result.
But then again, if you wanna use it as a putty, be aware that Mr.Surfacer is just diluted putty (making it easier to apply in some cases). And yeah, any cheap (not Tamiya, that stuff's expensive!) brush will do. Since it'll pretty much be ruined eventually.
(>:3) JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION GET IN THE CAR!

network24

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2009, 08:28:29 AM »
Depends if you still have a gap or if the glue has correctly filled the gap between the parts. What brand of glue are you using?

You plan to use Mr. Surfacer as a putty, right? Not as a primer? Because if you're planning to prime by applying Mr. surfacer 500 (which is not the smoothest primer btw) with a brush, be ready for a pretty coarse result.
But then again, if you wanna use it as a putty, be aware that Mr.Surfacer is just diluted putty (making it easier to apply in some cases). And yeah, any cheap (not Tamiya, that stuff's expensive!) brush will do. Since it'll pretty much be ruined eventually.

Yea I plan to just use it as a putty. And I found a cheap Tamiya brush for like a $1. Thanks for the help

IcecoldJV

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »
I finally got my hands on some putty... but it's Testors Putty. I haven't opened it to use it just yet, so that's why I'm asking now before later.... I noticed a few threads with people saying that Testors sucks and others saying that it was alright, just not their choice putty... I was wondering if anyone had a good reason why it sucks? Unfortunately, I can't get my hands on any tamiya or other such putty, not even Magic Sculpy or Mighty Putty. This is what I get for being stationed in the middle of nowhere. I'm not a fan of ordering things online, but I may have to just bite the bullet there.

Anyway, not many questions have been asked about Testors putty, so if someone has a good answer for me, that would be excellent! If you didn't get the question from above, it is basically asking what the ups and downs are to Testors putty?

Rawr_Bot

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »
I got some mr hobby white putty. I heard you can thin it with 91% alcohol and sorta paint it on to fill seams any truth to this?