Author Topic: Putty Questions  (Read 40455 times)

mrmaigo

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« on: July 14, 2006, 09:43:46 AM »
I've tryed a few things, but I'm sure I haven't found the best way to apply putty. So, how do our PROs do it?

Titan-ex

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 06:16:54 PM »
Don't know if this helps,but this guy uses few types for different things from molding to build-ups.

http://models4you.whoadude.com/models.html

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • FFF Staff
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Putty Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 08:23:53 PM »
"this guy" is none other than the legendary Bawoo so scratch-built the Hazel conversion kit and recasted it.  I learn a lot from reading his in-prog pages.

mrmaigo, your question is a bit vague.  What kind of putty are you refering to?  What kind of surface/material are you talking about?  Is it curved? seams?

It's a bit difficult to answer your questions as it is.  :wink:

mrmaigo

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 12:15:58 PM »
Been using Squadron for filling seams and gaps

Traks

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 05:45:49 AM »
Has anybody here tried RayCrete? I purchased some at a local True Value while on an errand and have been itching to try it out. I checked their website and it looks like I could really use it for modeling but, it has a "As seen on TV" label on that makes me real skeptical.

Titan-ex

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 07:09:51 PM »
Test it out on a spruce to see how it does.

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Putty Questions
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 03:25:57 AM »
Quote from: "Titan-ex"

Why would you test it out on a tree?  ;)  I think you meant to say sprue - the leftover plastic 'frame' from injection molded plastic model kits...

Titan-ex

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 06:16:00 AM »
Quote from: "fulcy"
Quote from: "Titan-ex"

Why would you test it out on a tree?  ;)  I think you meant to say sprue - the leftover plastic 'frame' from injection molded plastic model kits...

Bugger,Yeh that's what I meant,it's for things like this it never hurts to have a few for scrap,practice,and testing new things on.

Traks

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 04:58:47 AM »
:) Thanks Titan-Ex and Fulcy, I'll give it a try and report the results.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
Putty Questions
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 12:39:28 PM »
So back on the Squadron putty question... I just got a few tubes of the green and a tube of white from Taz. Pros? Cons? Uses? Is this the kit-melting stuff I've head about?
Rust is beautiful.

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Putty Questions
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 12:54:25 PM »
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
So back on the Squadron putty question... I just got a few tubes of the green and a tube of white from Taz. Pros? Cons? Uses? Is this the kit-melting stuff I've head about?

I've used the white pretty extensively (and exclusively). Never had a problem with melting. It can be a little bit chunky/thick, but it's about the best stuff I can get ahold of through the local HobbyTown stores. I've also seen it crumble when I've gotten a little over-anxious on sanding. Good stuff overall, but probably won't replace a lot of the putty/sculpt you're already familiar with.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

mrmaigo

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 01:11:50 PM »
Had a tube of Squadron putty dry out on me, I heard it thins with acetone so I put the rest of the tube in a large Tamiya bottle with some nail polish remover. Being thinned down, its a LOT better than out of the tube. Smooth, easy to apply thin coats with out lots of waste. It sticks to the lid a little which happens to be great for getting it to your tools.

You need to check it every week or else it'll start to dry out and need to be mixed.

If you're gona use Squadron, its what I suggest. Right out of the tube the stuff kinda sucks

oteebzo

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 02:28:58 PM »
I just recently (this weekend) purchased a tube of the white . I have not used it yet but I am hoping it is better then the testors putty I was useing.

I was looking for the tamiya (spelling?) putty but all they had was the squadron so I hope I did not make a wrong purchase.

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Putty Questions
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 02:50:39 PM »
The white Squadron is definitely better than Testors putty. I'm in the same boat, oteebzo--no local source for Tamiya putty.

If you happen to encounter a situation where it's dried out in the tube, you can usually use an Xacto blade to clear out the opening and then just squeeze the rest of the dried putty (it's usually just right there inside the opening of the tube). Keeping the threads on the cap clean and making sure the cap gets on tight will greatly reduce instances of having it dry in the tube.

(and I'm going to have to try the acetone thing!)
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

fredpekker

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 02:57:30 PM »
Would xylene work in the same way? I can get the Squadron white at the LHS and can get xylene from my job (I sell vinyl windows and siding).  Just trying to think cheap.  :wink:

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
Putty Questions
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 03:04:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. This will be a good thread for searching. :wink:

As for Xylene... how toxic is that? Don't we use enough  chemicals to warrant a hazmat clean-up crew?
Rust is beautiful.

fredpekker

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 03:52:39 PM »
Not sure how toxic it is, but it eats through baked enamel on aluminum well enough to take out small scratches.

Shadowfire

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/crackpotsmoker
Putty Questions
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 05:35:45 PM »
Actually, with the green squadron putty (stuff i use since it's much easier to find at my LHS compared to tamiya putty), it definetly melts and warps the thinner styrene sheets IF you apply too much. I came upon this problem when i tried substituting it for white squadron putty, lol. Just a heads up for you guys. Don't do it unless you have absolutely no other alternative. If you do, be ready for alot sanding/cutting/and reshaping of the affected areas.
ime is of the essence.

OYWM

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 08:43:02 PM »
Here is a wikipedia article on Xylene.

It would seem as though Xylene is just as toxic as any other chemical we use in the modeling world :lol: . I guess a well ventilated area would be the best place to test out how it reacts with Squadron white.

Here is another article on Xylene
Got Gunze?

G-Sentinel

• View Profile
Putty Questions
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 03:57:17 PM »
I have a puttying question, while visiting Japan, I picked up some Tamiys putty. When I first used it, I realized that this was for filling gaps and not for major sculpting. Is there a type of putty that can be recommended for actual customization of kits?
ou don't need to be hot to model, You just need the right tools.

"I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?'"
  - Jay Leno