Author Topic: Rods for displays  (Read 5235 times)

June 28, 2006, 09:38:24 PM
Read 5235 times

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
So ummm...I was thinking of making a base for a Gundam model I'm working on but I'm not quite sure about the rod. It appears that the most common to use are brass and plastic rods. I can find brass rods (hollow), but I'm not quite sure on what type of plastic rods (specific type of plastic?). Also, are most of the plastic rods able to be bent upon heating so that you can create a rod like what FF did for the Reginae? One last thing - about what diameter rod would be needed to support the weight of a Gundam model (1/100 HG for mine right now, but also MGs for future reference)?

June 28, 2006, 09:56:03 PM
Reply #1

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Reading all the way through this thread:
http://fichtenfoo.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=976

... May answer some of your questions regarding display stands, although I know that it's not exactly what you were asking. From poking around this particular forum, it would appear that the transparent rod of choice is acrylic plastic.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

June 28, 2006, 10:57:53 PM
Reply #2

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Find a local plastic supply store.  The internet is a good start, but you should really just break out your good ole phone book and make a few calls.

What you are looking for is the following:
Cast Acrylic Rod (not extruded)
The size (in diameter) I have 3/8 in, 1/2 in, and 5/8 in

Realistically, you would only need something between 3/8 in and 1/2 in for support of any gunpla kit; so long as the length of support rod isn't excessively long.  1/2 in should be strong enough to support full resin/resin conversion kits.  

Reason for "Cast" as opposed to extruded is the quality.  You can drill and sand cast without the rod splitting under pressure or breaking apart.

June 29, 2006, 03:57:01 AM
Reply #3

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
I googled a bit on how to bend and shape acrylic rods and the only thing that I've been finding is using wire resistance heaters, heating to above the TG of 105, making bends, and then annealing at a lower temperature. I dont have that type of supplies, so would it be possible using other heat sources such as blow torches or something?

June 29, 2006, 04:45:29 AM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I got my clear rods at www.hobbylinc.com. I drilled them with a tiny 1.1mm drill bit and used floral wire to connect it to the crotch of the Gundam. I bent it by rolling the part I wanted to bend over a candle flame.

Here's the exact item I used:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pls/pls90293.htm

June 29, 2006, 06:07:40 AM
Reply #5

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
I drilled them with a tiny 1.1mm drill bit and used floral wire to connect it to the crotch of the Gundam. I bent it by rolling the part I wanted to bend over a candle flame.

Foo,

So its wire drilled in. How do you connect it to the model crotch? Glue? Or is it some kind of bend on the inside of the model (like a knot or something)
I was meaning to ask you about this too because when I looked at your Reginae, it looked like there was screws in the top and bottom of the rod you used.
Is this rod just drilled and glued to the wood base?

June 29, 2006, 06:23:52 AM
Reply #6

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
If you do it right it doesn't need glued. For a wooden base I just drill a 3/16" hole and the rod fits snug. MAYBE I'll glue it if necessary.

For that Reginae base I used a leftover MG screw to attach it to the plastic.

For the crotch, I just use 18-20 gage floral wire and drill 2 1.1mm holes in the crotch and the other end of the rod. I glue the wire into the rod and the robot just sits on the wires unglued for removal for transport. I use 2 holes/pins to prevent it from spinning.

June 29, 2006, 11:25:07 AM
Reply #7

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks FF! I believe our HobbyTown actually carries those, so I think I'll get it from them. Thanks for clarifying how to attach it to the model as well since I was about to drill a huge hole in the model - one that would be the diameter of the rod. Good thing I waited!