Author Topic: Super glue mixing  (Read 3120 times)

June 23, 2006, 06:39:37 AM
Read 3120 times

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
I got superglue, I got talc. Whats the strongest mix consistancy wise, better thick like putty or just less than runny? Also, using it filling putty, any tips for that?

June 23, 2006, 07:24:25 AM
Reply #1

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Not runny, I usually got it more like goo.  Watch out as it hardens very quickly, so I usually mix a small amount, apply, then mix some more.

I wouldn't use it to fill gaps, unless it's pretty a big gap.  It's great to do structual mod since it's strong and holds polycap.

June 23, 2006, 11:17:24 AM
Reply #2

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
Filling putty with superglue, you don't really need talc. Another alternative is chop down sprue piece and put some cement on the sprue to let it melt. And the paste it on the part as a putty

June 23, 2006, 06:04:20 PM
Reply #3

dorgas

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dorgas.20m.com
Yup I agree with accord99, it's like welding plastic with plastic. When it dries it's much easier to sand than SGT (Super Glue Talcum). But if youre in a rush job i suggest SGT  :D
atayin sa Sindak si Barbara!

June 23, 2006, 06:18:23 PM
Reply #4

Asmodeous

• Information
    • View Profile
You know I've never really been able to mix the glue and talc with good results.    It always dries as soon as I apply the glue.  I've tried gels, name brand glue, cheap glue, different talcs... I just haven't mastered it.

June 23, 2006, 06:29:24 PM
Reply #5

dorgas

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dorgas.20m.com
@ Asmodeous: try equal small amounts, like a drop of super glue, yup it dries fast sometimes you just need to work on it fast. Also try mixing the super glue & talcum powder w/ a toothpick.
atayin sa Sindak si Barbara!

July 11, 2006, 10:46:06 AM
Reply #6

Titan-ex

• Information
    • View Profile
Gel dries faster then the liquid,so only use it for spot jobs.
You can mix plan old liquid superglue with the powdertill it starts getting thick,then give the plastic parts a quick dab of glue before appying the SGT piece.{I tend to sand the parts where the SGT is going with a ruff grain paper to help give it something to adhere to before hand.}

Also you can mix Talcum powder and FFW {future floor wax} for small gaps fills and such,but it can only be sanded with fine grain papper.And it requires at least two days drying time.

July 12, 2006, 03:15:13 AM
Reply #7

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thiscowispurple.com/
This might be abit redundant, but i've only recently tried this superglue plus powder mix and it works great! I don't have any mixing ratios, which probably explains why it hardens in less than a minute. I used it to make my 1/100 qubeley knee pointy when the epoxy i used broke off :cry: Another thing i notice is that its really bad to inhale this stuff. Made my nose and behind the eyes hurt because i was abit to near to it while mixing.
www.thiscowispurple.com
I'm trying to decrease my talk : model ratio.
Less talk more model!