Author Topic: Anime Expo 2006 - now with a "Model Building" work  (Read 10486 times)

June 19, 2006, 10:23:11 AM
Read 10486 times

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Hosted by ME!
This year, I decided to apply for a panel/workshop.  I was expecting to get a 1 hour time slot on one of the Con days and then try to cram as much as my model knowledge and techniques out to people within that 1 hour span...  When I checked the schedule today to see if it updated... here's what I got: http://www.anime-expo.org/downloads/programming/programming_schedule/programming_v1_1.pdf
And will be held on the following days:
7-9 PM Saturday
6-8 PM Sunday
4:30-6:30 PM Monday

I now have 3 two hour sessions to teach.  Fulcy (or anyone else with a shop/site), if you want me to advertise your online shop/site, create a flyer and PM/Email me it and I'll print some out to hand out to folks attending the workshop.

And ff you are going to AX this year, stop on by and say hi, or if you want to learn the techniques I use, stop on by and pull up a chair!

June 19, 2006, 10:58:02 AM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
When/where is AX? Got a website?

June 19, 2006, 11:02:06 AM
Reply #2

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Dunno bout the flier - but I may be able to send some samples of my option parts - including the aluminum thrusters...  Oh, maybe business cards!  ;)

June 19, 2006, 11:04:48 AM
Reply #3

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
http://anime-expo.org/
It's in two weeks.  July 4th Weekend.  The staff over at AX are really slow, so I just found out about the workshop schedule.  It's a pretty big con.  Something to the number of about 30,000 - 40,000 people... craziness.

June 19, 2006, 07:40:27 PM
Reply #4

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
Dam no way to get to Cali. Wish i could, would love to check out alot of the stuff going on. Ever think of taping the time slots you are getting and makeing a dvd or video and distributeing. Could make some money for your habit. :D

June 19, 2006, 08:45:56 PM
Reply #5

Artic Fox

• Information
    • View Profile
I am so going to AX-06 Probably all four days, I got me a press pass through my college magazine!!! So, I'll try and stop by

June 21, 2006, 07:50:28 AM
Reply #6

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Dunno bout the flier - but I may be able to send some samples of my option parts - including the aluminum thrusters... Oh, maybe business cards!

Samples would be great.  I'm planning on adding a page to my PPT presentation for links of where to get cool things and such.  So your shop will definatly be on there.  PM me if you need my address.

I am so going to AX-06 Probably all four days, I got me a press pass through my college magazine!!! So, I'll try and stop by

Stop on by, I'm going to be meeting folks from all sorts of message boards, so this will be interesting.

June 21, 2006, 08:20:44 AM
Reply #7

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I'd love to go but Cali is WAY too far for me! :(

June 21, 2006, 09:15:13 AM
Reply #8

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
I'd love to go but Cali is WAY too far for me!

Yeah, I know what you mean - flying cross country for an anime convention is a bit excessive.  That said, I flew out to Otakon last year for the first time, and had a blast - got to meet a bunch of folks from the message board that I would never have met without traveling.  

This year Tetsujin is flying out here mostly because Yutaka Izubuchi is going to be here.  Yutaka Izubuchi is credited for mecha/character designs for Mobile Police Patlabor, Gundam 0080, Gundam Char's Counterattack, Gundam Wing (costume design), Record of Lodoss War, Xabungle, Dunbine, Votoms, Gasaraki, Cowboy Bebop the Movie (storyboard), Escaflowne the Movie (armor design consultant), Rahxephon.

I'm definatly not missing his panel.

I'll be going to Otakon again this year, if all goes well, I may send a request to do a model workshop over there too.. *shrug*

June 21, 2006, 10:58:36 AM
Reply #9

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Gamera-

I live in Anaheim, but I’ve skipped AX for a couple years. I’ve gone three years in the past, but the last time I went (2004) I left in frustration after having walked into a giant hall full of thousands of people and found no way of telling which line was which. I just wanted to get the cheap ticket into the exhibit hall and do some looking and shopping. None of the volunteers gave me the same answer about where to go and since I didn’t want to wait in hours of lines (especially if I got to the front and found out it was the wrong one!!!), so I just left. It cost me $8 to park, too. A seriously frustrating waste of time and money!!!  :mad:

Now I’m thinking more seriously of going to AX again. At least this year they have a map of the lines, and I’ll consider actually going in for the whole expo to see your presentation, so maybe it’ll be worth it.

Any tips for getting in with less hassle? If I’m just a casual anime fan, is it really worth $30 to go in for the whole expo? I know this is a kinda dumb question, and totally depends on the individual, but since I’ve never gone to more than the exhibit hall, and I’m put off by the long lines and disorganization, I’m looking for info from a trusted source… :wink:

As long as I’m asking… Do you go to any local IPMS meetings? That’s another thing I’ve thought of doing but haven’t committed to since I’ve only recently become “serious” about modeling (geez, I guess I need to get off my butt and get out of the house). I used to be a member of an R/C airplane club, but most of the membership was, uh, “senior” and the meetings just weren’t too exciting…

Thanks for any info/advice you can give.
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

June 21, 2006, 01:07:37 PM
Reply #10

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
I’m looking for info from a trusted source… Wink

HAHAHAHA that just sounds funny....

Seriously.  I used to go to the con just for the exhibit hall, but honestly, I can pretty much get anything I want locally or online at the same price or lower.  Especially in LA.  Depending on the day you go, there are tons of things that are interesting.  

My experience at last years AX was ok.  The modeling contest blew chunks.  I was hoping for more modelers to show up and show off stuff, but a gigantic Lego Salamis (not painted, nothing, just lego) won for best of show - one of 4 or so total awards.  I remember years ago the model contest was something to behold.  Which is one of the reasons I went ahead to propose my model building workshop.  Gotta raise gunpla/model building awareness...

Now it wasn't until my experiences at Otakon, that I realized there was so much more to a convention than just the Exhibit Hall.  I saw the Anime Music Videos.  Very impressive, especially the comical ones.  The Masquarade - imagine skits from folks dressed in various cosplay outfits.  Most are very well done, and it's an interesting show.  Panels.  Now this is where you get upclose and sorta personal with the intricaties of the anime realm.  Before Otakon, I really didn't spend much time browsing things other than the exhibit hall.  I too am only a casual anime fan.  I'm very picky about what I watch, and I usually don't watch alot of anime.  I am, first and foremost, a gundam fan.  But this experience at Otakon opened up my eyes to the "other" activities.  Even with the Masquarade, there were lots of "Naruto" themed skits, I had not watched a single episode of today's "DragonBall" series... but I throughly enjoyed the skits - they were well done.

Speaking of panels, last year folks grilled the Bandai rep.  This year I want to meet Yutaka Izubuchi - my favorite Gundam mechas were designed by him: Hygog, Dogas, Sazabi, Nu Gundam, Gundam NT-1, Kampfer, etc etc - having him sign the Mecha Design Works art book that I have being delivered to me.  

I would highly recommend picking out a single day from the schedule that offers the most activities that interest you; and come on out.  Registration is what it is.  The AX staff are all volunteers and usually youngsters.  They know nothing.  It's supposed to get better, but sometimes you just get it stuck to you without any lube.  Last year's registration sucked, I pre-registered, only to show up a full day before the event to pick up my "pre-registered" badge and wait about 3.5 hours in line.  There was an empty line for "non pre-registered" badge purchases... mind boggling.  This year however, I pre-registered and they have mailed out the badges.  I think it may be too late to get a badge mailed out to you, but I think there still is a pre-registration thingy.  If you find that there are events that you want to see or take part in, on multiple days, I would recommend just buying the 4 day pass... it's about equalivant to buying 2 individual day passes.

Last year, I met up with some folks from various modeling message boards and that made it so much fun for me.  If you're going alone, you're more than welcome to hook up with me and the group I'm with.  I have a couple of friends coming in from the east coast, and another friend from sacramento.  Hell, I live in your neighboring city (Placentia) - we can trade modeling secrets :)

As for IPMS shows.... you just missed a decent show up in Ontario.  The big IPMS show is OrangeCon tho.  And that's fairly close to you as well.  Details on the club and the show here: http://www.ipmsoc.org There really needs to be more "gunpla" modelers at these shows.  I'm getting tired of showing up at the door and the guys at the club reconizing me and saying "good, the Gundams are here".

edit: oops. misread the part about IPMS.  I have yet to go to a meeting... most of the guys seem to be older.  But now that you mention it, I think I may join IPMS OC.... since I am in the OC now, and I could always learn some new tricks from fellow modelers.

Here's meeting info:

We meet the third Friday of the month at 7:30 PM at the

La Quinta Inn and Suites

3 Centerpointe Drive, La Palma, CA 90623

(714) 670-1400

The next meeting should be July 23.  I'm going to plan on going... So come along too... better to be a noob with another noob than a lonely noob  :D

June 21, 2006, 01:34:05 PM
Reply #11

Artic Fox

• Information
    • View Profile
Any one here attending all four days and have a hotel room, and if so, do you mind if I crash there?? Just asking, last year I went for all four days, loved it, but I missed out on alot since I got there at 10 in the morning and left by five, so, I was wondering if any one would mind if I crashed in their hotel room. I'm broke but I will find some way to make it up to you. I live in Montebello which is like a half hour on the freeway away from the convention center in Anaheim

Stats:
Name: Joshua Cruz
Single
I am a pretty decent cook.

so, if any one could please help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

June 21, 2006, 01:52:05 PM
Reply #12

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Info about the "Modeling Contest"
Rules for Anime Expo 2006 Modeling Contest
------------------------------------------

All participants in the AX 2006 Modeling Contest must have a
registration with the convention; all above registration and check-in information
applies to the Anime Expo 2006 Modeling Contest as well; check-in will
begin at 9AM on the first day, and walk-ins will be accepted at 12pm
(time may be changed at Art Show staff discretion).

All models are accepted for the Anime Expo 2006 modeling contest.  
Models must be appropriate for public viewing (i.e. no nudity, no explicit
sexual acts).  

Models entered into the contest must be produced by the entering
participant; 'group' works will not be allowed to enter the contest.

Models will be judged by an associate of HobbyLink Japan via pictures
taken by AX Archive Staff at the end of the second (2nd) day of
convention.  Therefore we will only be allowing walk-in entries up to the 2nd
day of the convention.  These pictures will not be used for any purpose
other than the judging of this contest without the modeler's express
permission.

Interesting that the judge will be from HLJ... it infinatly better than having some "manga" distributor as the judge.  Perhapse some cool things will be given to winners....  More reasons to participate.

Artic Fox, heh last year I drove from Hacienda Heights every day there, and HH is about the same distance away from Anaheim as Montebello.  Why did you have to leave by 5?  

Living in Placentia now, I'm about 10 miles away from the convention center.

June 21, 2006, 01:53:37 PM
Reply #13

Artic Fox

• Information
    • View Profile
I didn't have a license, still dont...... so I had to get rides home from my dad......

June 21, 2006, 02:04:57 PM
Reply #14

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Artic Fox"
I didn't have a license, still dont...... so I had to get rides home from my dad......

http://forums.anime-expo.org/index.php?showtopic=1806&hl=ride+sharing
Ride sharing link over at the Anime Expo Forums... Never know, it might help.

June 22, 2006, 10:42:00 AM
Reply #15

Artic Fox

• Information
    • View Profile
Gamera, I found a room at the hilton, so I will be able to attend your workshop, and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind doing an interview for my college magazine, since I'm covering the expo......

June 22, 2006, 10:48:51 AM
Reply #16

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Cool, looking forward to meeting you at the con.  I don't mind doign interviews.  Gotta spread gunpla love by any means I can...

June 22, 2006, 10:50:51 AM
Reply #17

Artic Fox

• Information
    • View Profile

July 04, 2006, 03:29:21 PM
Reply #18

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Price of an MG Sazabi Kit:  $90
Price of rebuilding it the first time:  $10 (base, paints, etc)
Price of Core Works Sazabi Conversion Kit:  $180
Price of rebuilding the Sazabi to incorporate the above conversion kit:  $50

Having Yutaka Izubuchi (Designer of the Sazabi) siting down infront of the third rebuilt Sazabi, signing the Sazabi's shield....  Priceless
http://gamerabaenre.com/personal/izubuchi.jpg
http://gamerabaenre.com/personal/izubuchi%20003.jpg
http://gamerabaenre.com/personal/izubuchi%20002.jpg

July 04, 2006, 03:47:04 PM
Reply #19

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com