Author Topic: Flat paint turn hazy  (Read 4656 times)

March 30, 2006, 05:39:49 PM
Read 4656 times

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
The problem i'm struggling with is Tamiya Flat Paint line. After finish airbrushing the kit with tamiya flat color, the kit turn into hazy suede like. What I want is the kind of finish similar to FF's works.
accord99

March 30, 2006, 05:58:59 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Yeah, it's VERY flat. To get my finish, read through my MG How-To. You'll need to use clear-coats over the Tamiya acrylic.

http://fichtenfoo.com/02GiantRobots/02c-MGHowTo.html

March 30, 2006, 09:22:56 PM
Reply #2

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
So basically, you use FFA to seal everything, so i bought the tamiya clear coat(also flat base) for nothing :(
I learn something new today, thanks.

April 01, 2006, 07:24:57 AM
Reply #3

T1000

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "accord99"
So basically, you use FFA to seal everything, so i bought the tamiya clear coat(also flat base) for nothing :(
I learn something new today, thanks.

For Countries that do not sell Future Floor Acrylic, use Mr. Color's 184 Super Clear II Gloss Coat, or Super Clear II Flat Coat. They CAN BE applied over acrylic paint despite many suggestions not to. The finishing is also very good and it can be done in ANY weather.

But be careful though, flat coats normally produced a haze over your model and it is advisable to spray it in light coats, waiting for each layer to dry before applying the next coat. The reason? Simple: becos the haze will only appear when it dries. So to prevent unneccessary hazing, do only what is required and STOP.

I do that all the time.  8)  (But somehow screwed up one of my kit:DOM becos I was too impatient)

April 01, 2006, 09:17:56 PM
Reply #4

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thiscowispurple.com/
Its got alot to do with humdity and temperature i beleve

Actually i think you're talking about this

right?

use something like this (hot aromatherapy lamp)

or a hair dryer to warm it up before spraying.

afterwhich a lightcoat willl dissolve the previous haze and it will be fixed (i eventually fixed the entire shield)

warning about the warming though, if its too hot, the plastic will warp or melt and thats almost impossible to fix.

This haze thing totally irritates me. Moral of the story: if you're living in some humid country, don't spray stuff at night or in cool or humid weather. If you do, gotta warm up the stuff first. and like T1000 said, spray it in light coats..
www.thiscowispurple.com
I'm trying to decrease my talk : model ratio.
Less talk more model!

April 01, 2006, 10:26:34 PM
Reply #5

T1000

• Information
    • View Profile
you mean to warm the shield or warm the paint?  :?

April 02, 2006, 06:55:06 AM
Reply #6

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
Hmm.. i wouldn't dare to warm a aerosol can (i used mr superclear flat). Bottled paint.. i'm not so sure. but the plastic part shld be safest right? besides.. warming paint will make the sovent evaporate!! oh man!! one bottle of mr colour thinner is like SGD$17!! thats like money evaporating away...  :o  :o
www.thiscowispurple.com
Less talk more model!

April 02, 2006, 04:26:14 PM
Reply #7

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply, the finish paint look something like this
(picture from Ezechiel)
http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?image=a15qm.jpg
I will try out Future and see how it goes, thanks again.

April 03, 2006, 06:54:00 AM
Reply #8

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
You know what i think? Thats a realy nice colour! i mean, i don't see any hazing.... i'd be perfectly fine with it Maybe i can't see it from the photo.. but if its really thin hazing, try thinning your paint down abit more. I remember the first time i shot a flat coat out of the airbrush, it became spiderwebs all over my model! i thnned it down much more and it worked fine. Give it a shot (pun intended.. lol)
www.thiscowispurple.com
Less talk more model!

April 04, 2006, 03:45:27 AM
Reply #9

ashinomori

• Information
    • View Profile
i've encountered the same problem before but instead with a flat topcoat, it was with a semi-gloss.
the first layer i applied everything turned hazy after drying up. i'm not sure what to do, so i applied another layer and everything turned out fine..i'm not sure if it was chemical reactions or stuffs, but the hazy effect just dissappeared after 2nd coating.

not sure if this works on flat topcoats...

April 13, 2006, 04:58:06 PM
Reply #10

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
Anyway friends, FFA is quite hard to find around my area, all the Walmart and other local superstore seem to run out of it. But I found a similar product that wil be available to most of you guys. It's a "Family Dollar"'s product, it's called Acrylic Floor Finish. So go to your local family dollar and get it.
I never tried future before but i'm telling you AFF is a wonder, it's only $2.50 about 27 FL Oz, and I only need like 2 coats of it to cover the hazy paint. It's like magic!

That's my 2cent!

April 14, 2006, 01:48:50 AM
Reply #11

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
I see what you mean accord, and yes I think spraying FFA (or any gloss coat) should get rid of the problem. The paint gets more satin or semi-gloss if you add more layer.
Maybe I should warn you of something that happened to me with the kit you showed pics of (just finish it, should post pics soon). As you see, the paint was extremely flat and despite the fact that I spayed 2 layers of FFA before adding the panel lines, the paint looked still quite flat. I thought it was pretty cool since I wouldn't have to use Flat Base for the final coat (I've had...bad experiences with it); the problem being that panel lines+flat paint=shits happen. So my advice (if you understand what I'm trying to say :D ), don't hesitate to add many layer of clear coat to make your kit your kit shiny before doing the panel lines, it might save you some trouble and you'll just have to use FB with the last coat.

April 14, 2006, 04:00:05 AM
Reply #12

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
Totally agreed. I've only done it once because of the scarcity of FFA in my country, but doing a FFA clear coat even just once or twice to make a surface uber glossy helps alot with panel lining! I mean, its never been this easy to correct mistakes and wipe off excess. In fact sometimes it even gets difficult cos the enamel wash doesn't stick. Whats better is after panel lining, the mr super clear flat goes on without dissolving any of the prior layers because its a different type of solvent, laquer to be exact. so the layers of paint (from inside to out ) are like..

Laquer (mr colour) ----> acrylic (FFA) -----> enamel / oil wash (tamiya)  -----> Laquer (Mr Super Clear Flat)
www.thiscowispurple.com
Less talk more model!

April 14, 2006, 04:08:51 AM
Reply #13

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Actually I meant that you need to add many layers to make it glossy but it's probably because I was spraying very thin layers. It was the first time I was using it with an airbrush, probably why I screwed it up.