Author Topic: 1/100 Leopard Destroy  (Read 4502 times)

March 27, 2006, 05:30:57 PM
Read 4502 times

StormKat

• Lord o' Thunder
  • Information
    • View Profile
I'm going out on a limb posting my progress on this kit.  Most of the people here whoop my butt at building these.  However, I look at a project like this and starting running through all the stuff that needs to be done and I end up walking away and never finishing.

This build is too important to me, since its a gift for my son.  I hope you don't mind using this thread as motivation to keep the project going.

Here's the status so far:
Pre-build is complete and I've begun gluing and seaming parts.  Any correction or scratchbuilding is done at this stage.  I bought a whole bunch of tiny magnets, so I'm adding them all over the place.  Currently there are nine in the torso to hold the backpack.  The backpack is very heavy, so I figured 9 should do it.  I was a bit surprised to find that superglue didn't hold the magnets as strong as I'd like, so I used Gorilla glue.

There are 10 magnets in each foot and I plan to mount Leopard D on an acrylic base covered with a thin sheet of tin.  The same stuff I have on the backpack.

The missile bay in the both legs are not very detailed and the seam was so bad, I just rebuilt it from sheet styrene.

And so far the coolest change I've done is with the gun on Leopard D's arm.  I could not figure out a way to detail the gun and then mount it on the arm.  If I detail the arm first, the gun would be messed up.  If I detail the gun first, I can't mount it on the arm and detail the arm.  So I broke out the magnets again.  I mounted a magnet in the central area of the gun (under the white patch) and another in a channel built into the arm.
Then I filled in the holes for the kit's base sliding mechanism.  Now they are completely separate and slide perfectly.  The magnets hold so tight, I don't have to worry about it falling off.

Last thing, I drilled out all the vent ports on the main beam weapon and built a gattling-like set of tubes and mounted them inside to give a bit of detail.  While I was at it I drilled out the rest of the weapons too.

All in all the build is going well, but I'm starting to hit snags working on the legs and trying to fill some of these seams.  It feels like my arm is going to fall off if I sand any more.

I look forward to any detail suggestions or criticisms.
------
[Lord o' Thunder]

March 28, 2006, 12:04:14 AM
Reply #1

dr_feelgood

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Mechaion Designs
Not bad at all! Keep it comin' bro! cant wait for you to finish it! :D

March 28, 2006, 12:35:51 AM
Reply #2

eien

• Information
    • View Profile
MAGNETS!? Wow, that's a first! I've never heard of using something like that :P Don't mind if I try something like that?
urrent projects: Guncannon Mass Production Type, GM BLitz

Soon to Start: Burnig Team of Torrington Base.

March 28, 2006, 01:18:48 AM
Reply #3

xamel1975

• W.I.P always!
  • Information
    • View Profile
Ah, the underrated Gundam series. I'm also in the midst of refurbish my 1/100 Gundam Leopard. I would like to see how this progress goes. Maybe I can use some of the method you used, if you don't mind.

Great idea on using the magnets  :)
Super-callous-fragile-mystic-hexed-by-halitosis! Um diddle diddle um diddle ay!

March 28, 2006, 05:57:43 AM
Reply #4

StormKat

• Lord o' Thunder
  • Information
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the comments!  Gundam X is what got me modeling again.  Ms. StormKat thought I was insane.  Now I have over 50 kits to my name.  Once I get some good web space, I'll create a gallery.

Xamel, be warned.  These are older kits and will take a lot of sanding and seam work.  That's partly why I started this page.  I can't get discouraged and stop working on it so maybe posting my progress will keep that from happening.  

eien, this is my first time with magents in a kit.  Especially these tiny high-powered things.
I picked up 100 for about $5 here: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=17
Now I'm going to use them for everything!
------
[Lord o' Thunder]

March 28, 2006, 07:19:36 AM
Reply #5

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Hey StormKat, looking good so far.  Maybe I missed it, but what's the reason for using the magnets?  The backpack is not like armour and stuff that you take off usually...:?

I did a mod on Leopard a while back, lots of work, lots of seams.  Yours is looking good though, keep going!  :)

March 28, 2006, 07:33:28 AM
Reply #6

StormKat

• Lord o' Thunder
  • Information
    • View Profile
If I remember right, the Leopard Destroy can link up to the G-Falcon, but the backpack must be removed to make that connection.  

Plus it's kind of fun watching the backpack snap from your fingers and click into place from a half inch distance.
------
[Lord o' Thunder]

March 28, 2006, 07:53:00 AM
Reply #7

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I've been using RE magnets too for a bit now like the Stutzer using for my Hazel. They're great aren't they?

Looking good so far. :)

March 30, 2006, 06:48:26 AM
Reply #8

StormKat

• Lord o' Thunder
  • Information
    • View Profile
Worked a few more hours on the Leopard D last night.

Using fulcy and gamerabaenre's suggestions I don't have to waste time carefully sanding inside those tight spaces.  Thanks for the tips!

Overall construction and detailing is complete, now it's time for final sanding and priming.
------
[Lord o' Thunder]

March 31, 2006, 09:42:51 PM
Reply #9

eien

• Information
    • View Profile
ah!!! What was the suggestion!? I want to know the secret ><
urrent projects: Guncannon Mass Production Type, GM BLitz

Soon to Start: Burnig Team of Torrington Base.

March 31, 2006, 10:22:51 PM
Reply #10

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "eien"
ah!!! What was the suggestion!? I want to know the secret ><

No secret... read this: Tread that Stormkat asked for suggestions

April 02, 2006, 06:48:18 PM
Reply #11

armorman

• Information
    • View Profile
Looking great! Nice idea with the magnets. When I have a seam like that sometimes I can use very small amounts of Ambroid with a small paint brush and smooth it out. Takes some practice but it works once you got it down.
 it's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. -etorre

April 03, 2006, 05:23:10 AM
Reply #12

StormKat

• Lord o' Thunder
  • Information
    • View Profile
Progress so far:

About 60% of the pieces are primed and I've begun painting the white parts (upper arms, upper legs, and center torso).  I use Testors Model Master Acryl paints.  The primer is a light gray and I preshaded with Engine Gray.

The only problems with painting I had were with trying to paint fine lines with the Engine Gray.  The compressor was set on about 35psi and the paint was very thin, but I'd have to stop often and readjust to get the paint flowing again.  It acted as if the paint was too thick, but that's just not possible.

Next steps are to dry brush a base silver on the weapons and then wash them with a dark gray/black mix to produce a gun metal.  Then to paint the weapon's housings and armor so I can get them reassembled.

I'll post pictures tonight.  Would have done it last night, but some fool summoned up massive thunderstorms in my area... oh wait...  :roll:
------
[Lord o' Thunder]

April 08, 2006, 10:19:18 AM
Reply #13

StormKat

• Lord o' Thunder
  • Information
    • View Profile
The white pieces are all complete and with a couple coats of Future, look fantastic.

I got tired of looking at the gaps in the pods on top of the upper torso, so I added some sheet styrene to cover it.  Also added some small detail to the sides.
Here's an in-progress shot.

Once all this is complete, I'll prime it.

Finished adding the washes to the main beam weapon.  I went ahead and sealed it with a couple coats of Future.  Now I can work on its housing and get it fully assembled.

------
[Lord o' Thunder]

April 08, 2006, 11:00:45 AM
Reply #14

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "StormKat"

The only problems with painting I had were with trying to paint fine lines with the Engine Gray.  The compressor was set on about 35psi and the paint was very thin, but I'd have to stop often and readjust to get the paint flowing again.  It acted as if the paint was too thick, but that's just not possible.

What kind of air brush are you useing? It sounds like your brush is clogged. I run mine about 10 to 20 psi. If I do helmets or walls or anything big I use around 20 to 30 and around 40 for t-shirt because you want to really get the color into the faberic. Try to check and clean your brush. :D

April 08, 2006, 07:54:04 PM
Reply #15

StormKat

• Lord o' Thunder
  • Information
    • View Profile
I think you're right.  I took the airbrush apart and gave it a complete cleaning.  That seemed to correct the issue.  Now I can run around 20-25psi.  It hasn't given me any trouble since.
I guess I'll start doing complete cleanings more often.
------
[Lord o' Thunder]

April 08, 2006, 11:40:49 PM
Reply #16

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
I do a complete tear down after every use . This way it is always clean.

April 16, 2006, 08:38:26 AM
Reply #17

StormKat

• Lord o' Thunder
  • Information
    • View Profile
Progress report:  All the exterior weapons are complete.  I still have the two shoulders, upper torso,the two lower legs, and the two ankle shields to complete.

Updated pictures to follow soon.
------
[Lord o' Thunder]

April 25, 2006, 06:04:41 AM
Reply #18

StormKat

• Lord o' Thunder
  • Information
    • View Profile
Sorry it took so long to get some pictures.

Main missile rack:

Various stages of the main body:

All that's left are the shoulders ---

Tried out his new home:
------
[Lord o' Thunder]

April 25, 2006, 08:18:56 AM
Reply #19

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thiscowispurple.com/
Nice! i think the shading on the legs are abit heavy.. I like the missle rack. Those things don't ever seem to lose their appeal.
www.thiscowispurple.com
I'm trying to decrease my talk : model ratio.
Less talk more model!