FichtenFooForums

Old FFForums Archive => Model Help* (Check Stickies and Search First) => Assembly/Scratchbuilding => Topic started by: point-guard on September 14, 2006, 01:50:36 PM

Title: Many questions on modelling gundams
Post by: point-guard on September 14, 2006, 01:50:36 PM
Hi everyone this is my first post in the forum. I've made quite a number of gundams, but never really bother to do anything to them. Now, during my holidays, i decided to do all the panel line drawing and spraying. I have couple of questions to ask, and i hope you experts will give me some really good advices.

1. I do the panel line drawing with gundam markers, but its seems like the lines are always kinda thick, unlike the ones I see in this forum. I tried using a rubber to rub them off,but it seems to only work for parts with grooves. Areas like the Head, or protruding parts where i have to draw, dont seems to work with rubber. Is there any way I can achieve a much more professional finish? Btw, what colour should i use to achieve a cooler feeling?

2. When we do the spraying of colours, Should we enhance the colour of the gundam by spraying eg. Blue paint over the original blue chest of the gundam? or should we spray the whole chest with mr surfacer first, then spray it blue?

3. I tried spraying for the first time on my G Gundam. I did not use an air spray, because I dont have one, and I think a beginner like me should try to practice with Tamiya spray cans. My G gundam(MG) was built a couple of years ago, so I removed all the armours and assorted them in colours. I removed all the nubs with a wood carving knife. I use a sticky tack to stick the armours to a long tooth pick and sprayed the paints on to them evenly. Although I achieve a very a smooth finish, I realised its very glossy. so my third question is how can I remove the gloss for it?

4. I was drawing the panel lines for my G gundam, after it will sprayed with a Tamiya can. The suface was glossy and it was really hard for me to draw the panel lines. So, should i draw the lines first then spray? or should i spray it first then draw.

5. I notice that the White that Tamiya spray can uses looks very fake. The model number is TS-26. I remember seeing other white on the shelf, so should i continue to get this kind of white, or should i change it to another one.(any recommendations?I remember seeing many gundams that their white parts, are a little greyish)

6. Is air brushing the only way to achieve shadowing?

7. What is the flat clear coat in the FF tutorial? is it the same with Top coat?

I am so sorry to be such a nuisance. I've read FF Tutorial, but I am still unclear about some parts. Thanks for reading
Title: Re: Many questions on modelling gundams
Post by: Major Blah on September 15, 2006, 05:44:39 AM
Quote from: "point-guard"

1. I do the panel line drawing with gundam markers, but its seems like the lines are always kinda thick, unlike the ones I see in this forum. I tried using a rubber to rub them off,but it seems to only work for parts with grooves. Areas like the Head, or protruding parts where i have to draw, dont seems to work with rubber. Is there any way I can achieve a much more professional finish? Btw, what colour should i use to achieve a cooler feeling?


Rubber won't work with the protruding parts, you need more a "wash" to achieve the effect.  Read more here (http://www.fichtenfoo.com/02GiantRobots/02c-inkwash.html)

Quote from: "point-guard"

2. When we do the spraying of colours, Should we enhance the colour of the gundam by spraying eg. Blue paint over the original blue chest of the gundam? or should we spray the whole chest with mr surfacer first, then spray it blue?


Unless you're doing a lot of mods with lots of parts of different color, you don't really need primer (Mr surfacer included) to enhance the look.  Primer is used to enable a more durable painted finish.  However, some lighter colors can benefit from having a lighter color primer underneath.

Quote from: "point-guard"

3. I tried spraying for the first time on my G Gundam. I did not use an air spray, because I dont have one, and I think a beginner like me should try to practice with Tamiya spray cans. My G gundam(MG) was built a couple of years ago, so I removed all the armours and assorted them in colours. I removed all the nubs with a wood carving knife. I use a sticky tack to stick the armours to a long tooth pick and sprayed the paints on to them evenly. Although I achieve a very a smooth finish, I realised its very glossy. so my third question is how can I remove the gloss for it?


Did you read the section about flat clear coat?  You can buy these in spary can too.

Quote from: "point-guard"

4. I was drawing the panel lines for my G gundam, after it will sprayed with a Tamiya can. The suface was glossy and it was really hard for me to draw the panel lines. So, should i draw the lines first then spray? or should i spray it first then draw.


You need glossy surface to ensure that you can clean up the lines or any mistakes.  

Quote from: "point-guard"

5. I notice that the White that Tamiya spray can uses looks very fake. The model number is TS-26. I remember seeing other white on the shelf, so should i continue to get this kind of white, or should i change it to another one.(any recommendations?I remember seeing many gundams that their white parts, are a little greyish)


It'll help if you can include the color name of the white you're using.  Is it flat white?  I've used it before and it's pretty good, but it's the little bottle, not the spary can.

Quote from: "point-guard"

6. Is air brushing the only way to achieve shadowing?


You can apply pastel to achieve some form of shadowing as well.

Quote from: "point-guard"

7. What is the flat clear coat in the FF tutorial? is it the same with Top coat?


Read here (http://www.fichtenfoo.com/02GiantRobots/02c-future.html)
Title: Many questions on modelling gundams
Post by: zerobxu on September 15, 2006, 06:10:51 AM
I realize you had a number of questions, on a diverse range of subjects, but in the future, please take the time to post your questions in the appropriate areas. Airburshing questions belong in the "Airbrush, Airbrushing, and Compressor Questions" sticky (http://fichtenfoo.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=531). Paint questions belong in the "Paints" sticky (http://fichtenfoo.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=346), and questions specifically about FF's guide should be in the "How To Build A Master Grade Kit" sticky (http://fichtenfoo.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=324).

This is so the next newcomer who comes along with the same questions can read before posting and find the answers he's looking for. It also makes it easier for the people answering the questions.


If you're not going to airbrush, you might want to consider learning to hand-paint versus learning to spray paint. I'm almost willing to guarantee you'll be happier with the results. I've learned--the hard way--that the results are better (and faster) when using hand paints than spray paints. I'd also strongly encourage you to read here (http://www.fichtenfoo.com/02GiantRobots/02c-MGHowTo.html). Again (FF's How to build Master Grade Gundams guide).
Title: Many questions on modelling gundams
Post by: point-guard on September 15, 2006, 08:20:58 AM
Yea I actually read them all...but there are still some parts that I am unsure of. Thankx!
Title: Many questions on modelling gundams
Post by: zerobxu on September 15, 2006, 09:00:45 AM
Quote from: "point-guard"
Yea I actually read them all...but there are still some parts that I am unsure of. Thankx!

I'm going to assume when you say "there are still some parts that I am unsure of", you mean that after reading the MG Guide, conducting a search, reading through the threads--and reading Major Blah's reply, you still need help in some or all of those areas. Towards that goal, I encourage you to post any follow-up questions in the appropriate sticky threads.

If you have a question with a subject you feel is not covered in any of the threads in the Model Help forum, then I encourage you to start a new thread with a subject line that briefly describes what you're asking about.

I'm not trying to be harsh--just trying to encourage following the established format for seeking and providing help for all modelers.

*THREAD LOCKED*