Author Topic: Wing Zero/Strike Freedom Beunolas Skyward Variants  (Read 4837 times)

February 04, 2007, 04:36:40 PM
Read 4837 times

Beunolas

• Information
    • View Profile
Hello all! First post of the new year, with actually decent stuff up this time. I've finished my wing zero with the long netmodeler style feathers, and I have finished my strike freedom, too. I made them "match" (similar color schemes) because it goes with my whole crazy mixed up universe (I was doing an RP involving gundam, and my friend was using the strike freedom, with I in the wing Zero. The matching is because they were twin mobile suits in the RP).

Oh, thing on the wings. Those who want to replicate these, PLEASE DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE THAT APPEARS WHEN YOU PAINT OVER IT. IT WILL SHOW UP. You will cry after the hours of work put into the feathers T_T.

Still, looks pretty good doesn't it? Still not up to par with the masters, but I'm improving ^^.

(Also, the Zero was my first attempt at waterslides, so there's some wrinkles. I hope to improve that when I go to do my Strike Freedom decals  :) )

As always I love critiques on the models, and I will try to improve on my next ones.

And, I again apologize for bad photography. I still haven't figured out how to work the camera, but when I have some "good" models (in contrast to you all) I will be sure to learn.

(Deleted excessive image tags, condensed into an album :D)

http://www.putfile.com/beunolas/images/79715

There you all go ^^

February 04, 2007, 07:02:46 PM
Reply #1

Krausser

• Information
    • View Profile
the color combination is good.. black and white the brings out the color red, good contrast..
however, i think the paint is a bit shiny.. it could have been a better kit if you used flat colors .. did you use spray can paints? if you did try using the air brush, it is the best and you will have more choices for color.. =)

try searching for max watanabe technique.. a good basic guide in spray painting..[/code][/url]

February 05, 2007, 05:30:46 AM
Reply #2

Shin0bu

• Allenby Beardsly
  • Information
  • Neo Sweden
    • View Profile
    • http://www.friendster.com/shin0bu
nice looking duo there buddy~
some flat coat and panel lines would make it nicer~  :wink:

February 05, 2007, 05:41:41 AM
Reply #3

Beunolas

• Information
    • View Profile
Yeah, I did use spray cans mainly on the wing zero, but the SF was primarily all airbrushed. I'm thinking I probably ought to give em a flat coat, then prolly a wash...eh, maybe in a few days.

February 05, 2007, 07:25:23 AM
Reply #4

Mindless

• Information
    • View Profile
Nice color scheme. Just missing some panel lines.

Do think the paint looks a bit thick on it though.

A hint: Give it a coat of gloss clear (or Future, whatever suits you best) before the wash, THEN give it a flat coat. Washes on flat surfaces don't work out too great (capillary effect sucks).

February 05, 2007, 01:20:22 PM
Reply #5

Beunolas

• Information
    • View Profile
ok, thanks for the tip mindless! Yeah, the paint did go on a bit thick, especially on the strike freedom's white parts. Apparently Tamiya white does not adhere to the primered surface when thinned with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Who knew?

(Also, I pre-shaded the panel lines on the Wing zero. First try at that. Yay or nay?)

February 18, 2007, 12:58:54 PM
Reply #6

Amalga

• iLurk
  • Information
    • View Profile
Tamiya White is hugely problematic and I don't understand why. It just doesn't do a good job sticking to the surface, whether it's primed or not, and whether you hand-brush it or not.

The paint does look a bit thick, almost lumpy in some parts. But, like I said, I can understand that. It's why I stay away from spray paints.

The color schemes are awesome, though. I love that you went with the gold frame--it looks fantastic, and it brings out the white. The black and red were placed quite nicely, too. Good distribution overall. Some panel lines would do wonders. :)

What I do suggest, though, with your W0C... some cleanup on the original wings would have been nice. The gold feathers are a nice touch, but it would do so much awesome if you sealed up the hard points where the original feathers attached. Fill those gaps up with putty and sand them down to shape, then paint to match.
As for the gold feathers... I can see what you're going for, but they look so huge, almost disproportionate compared to the wings. I know it's too late at this point, but what I would have done would be to keep them just a tiny bit wider than the original feathers and have them go out from under where the originals were, but make them longer.
The story of life is a long, brutal assault on your heart by the one who knows what you're capable of, and fears it--all the while pursued by the God who knows you deeply and loves you truly."

February 18, 2007, 02:37:03 PM
Reply #7

Beunolas

• Information
    • View Profile
I'll take your suggestions for when I do my PG WZC

^^

Thanks for the criticism, and I have changed a few things. Will post updated pictures once they are taken.

February 18, 2007, 06:06:32 PM
Reply #8

Arthurius

• Information
    • View Profile
I was wandering if tamiya white wasnt stiking well, then which white to use???

February 18, 2007, 06:56:59 PM
Reply #9

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Tamiya white is fine... just make sure you prime first and thin it well. Then let it cure for a few days afterwards.