Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Completed Creations Gallery / Re: Lumber Wasps
« Last post by skidmore on June 28, 2021, 03:49:30 AM »
It looks so cool! Where can I buy this model?
Completed Creations Gallery / Re: A huge detailed Soviet (resin) mech
« Last post by Kombinat on May 22, 2021, 09:31:18 AM »
For those looking for detailed info on the Rescue Labor 5DR mecha resin kit, here's a new inbox review from GalaxyKits sci-fi model news site:
https://galaxykits.com/inbox/rescue-labor-135-kombinat/ (English auto-translation available).
In-Progress Creations / MG Advanced Hazel
« Last post by Mrex-sgundam on April 26, 2021, 07:12:25 PM »
Hello!

Here is a brief progress thread on my Advanced Hazel build

I'm starting to gather a nice backlog of kits (MG ZII Resin Conv, Ex-s/S Gundam 1.5 and MG Mk.V) so I felt very compelled to complete this one with my new airbrush!

The Badger Patriot 105 is a pretty good entry level airbrush and I've been pretty happy thus far. I'd say learning to do things in layers, even strokes and regulating air pressure are my biggest flaw starting out. Which, now that I think about it, are the major things to airbrushing properly.  Also, I am using a full shop compressor, that drives my girlfriend crazy, so I only have time to paint on the weekends or if I start the compressor before she gets home from work  :shifty: .

Now, I just jumped into this kit about a week ago and have been doing things in burst. I tried to be mindful of taking progressive photos, but things tend to get in the way so here's a nice photo dump

Mr.Hobby Surfacer 1200 - Primer for all parts (I need more alligator clips  :meh:)

Mr.Hobby Black/Green C018 - Frame parts

Mr.Hobby Deep Ocean Blue C375 - Outer Frame/Main Color

A rule of thumb, that I will keep in mind for future kits, never start with a paint color youre very close to being out of. I have a NEWTYPE order a few days out, that will contain another jar of Deep Ocean Blue, and I should have this kit ready for decals the following week.

I'm definitely striving for a subtle look overall, but with just a little bit of pop with the Black/Green frame. It's hard to capture but when you see the green, it really sets the kit apart.

Completed Creations Gallery / A huge detailed Soviet (resin) mech
« Last post by Kombinat on April 18, 2021, 11:44:43 AM »
Hi! Non-standard, sci-fi/what-if designs that look believable, intrigue me. Friends convinced me to turn this mech into usable model kit instead of keeping for myself just one copy. Months and months later here it is. A technical rescue machine 5DR code-named "Rescue Labor".

It's a unit coming from alternative Soviet universe, which I hope will grow ;) . 1/35 scale, 20cm height. 330 resin parts and 95 metal parts, decals and large assembly manual. Not a 3D print, parts have no artifacts or a need for sanding. Miniature of a mechanic is an integral part of the works.

Hope you like it. It's a honor to be part of this forum.
/Jared/
Completed Creations Gallery / Re: The Freight dock - Not quite Ian McQue
« Last post by Photon on March 31, 2021, 03:25:20 AM »
John, this is great. Excellent concept and execution. Really nice scratch building and weathering.

I checked your blog out, too. I always love construction photos.
How did you bend the front of the boat? Did you heat the styrene over a form?

Great work...thanks for sharing.
In-Progress Creations / Re: Ian McQue Inspired Flying Rig (Scratch build)
« Last post by Photon on March 30, 2021, 04:05:21 PM »
I realized that I had to paint the driver/pilot and detail the interior & get it sealed up before I could attach it to the rest of the model. I don't have a lot of experience painting figures, so I did my best and got it closed up. I think the orange helps make him look less Modern Armor and more Guy From The Future.

Next up I started to add some details. I picked through my cache and laid out some good candidates.

After much messing about I came up with this for the back panel. I hit it with some grey primer to see
 how cohesive it was. I plan to add a few more bits and lots of dangling hoses.

I cut a few square holes and fit some square evergreen tubes. Not sure what
they're supposed to be, but there were some details in the original drawing that
 were suggestive of these. I think they will look cool with some rusty stains
running from them. I also started to scribe some flame cut marks on the edges
of the ďsteelĒ plates that make up the bottom of the ship. I also plan to try adding
a rolled steel texture and some epoxy putty welds. Basically some armor modeling
tricks that Iíve been wanting to try and think will suit this subject well.

The top round radar shroud (?) was made from two Tamiya Flakvierling 38 fenders glued together
 and a styrene disc to fill the hole in the center. It sits in the recess where a hatch was meant to go.

I added a rolled steel texture to the lower half of the ship using Tamiya putty thinned with a bit of acetone.
 I also scribed some flame cut marks into the edges of the styrene and scribed a groove that I hope to add
 some weld beads to. My hope is it will help to give a rough hewn look and up the McQue factor a bit.

Here you can see I've added more details to the lower hull. The electrical lines are solid-core wires
meant for electronics bread-boarding. They're stuck down with superglue and a small bits of aluminum tape.

thanks for any interest
Peter

In-Progress Creations / Ian McQue Inspired Flying Rig (Scratch build)
« Last post by Photon on March 30, 2021, 02:40:27 PM »
This is my first post here. I thought Iíd share a model that I finished last year. Itís based on a drawing by Ian McQue.

Ian's drawing:

I started by building an inner support structure from styrene sheet and 3/16 square Evergreen.

To get some nice detail right away, I transplanted a piece from a 1:35 armored vehicle to the top.
Then I started to clad the sides with more 0.03Ē sheet.

I built the bottom structure and added more styrene panels.

I was originally planning to scratch build the cab, but I ran across an Italeri M-977 Hemtt kit and thought
 the cab was really cool, so I picked it up. Itís a bit of a deviation from the original drawing, but I thought it could work.

I started to detail the rear engine area with some kit parts. I also added some bolts (Meng brand).

The engine was built separately so it could be more easily painted. The white fairing was made from some 1" diameter rod.

More soon
Thanks for looking.

Peter

Questions and Answers / Re: Gluing Gunpla?
« Last post by blacklotus on March 14, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »
Try to reinforce the pegs of the kits with superglue and baby powder or superglue with cotton , that will stiffen the joints and help them keep the pose better
Questions and Answers / Gluing Gunpla?
« Last post by CanadianGunpla on March 04, 2021, 01:42:40 AM »
Hello! I am new to these forums and intend to definitely stick around and share my model building/painting/customizing!

I do have a question for anyone into Gunpla or other poseable models. It is difficult to get them to stay in poses as over time the weight of a limb or a wing/accessory starts to bring it down, even to the point where the model itself tips over.
I have started to glue stationary pieces onto it to prevent them from falling off which I do know is normal, however I am wondering where people stand on gluing the moving parts in place to hold a permanent pose.
I look at a lot of pictures of other peoples pieces but it is not usually mentioned how the poses are maintained, and before I start gluing all my Gunpla together I just wanted to reach out.

Excited to get to know the community and see/share in all the art here! I appreciate all input on this subject :) Picture just to show one of my Gunpla to get an idea of what I am trying to pose. Each and every piece moves and is posable, but you will see the issue when it comes to counter weight and pieces moving over time.
In-Progress Creations / Re: Ako Hobby Refined Barzam
« Last post by Mrex-sgundam on October 20, 2020, 04:09:58 AM »
Took a little break after I finished hand painting most of the kit. I bought an airbrush in that time. Part of me wants to air brush it, but also likes the hand-brushed style. Very torn here.

As you can see there are still errors in the coat and I definitely want to learn from them, but it's my first painted kit.

I'm probably putting too much emphasis on "first kit", but Ill see how I feel after I air brush the Advanced Hazel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10