Author Topic: RX-78 GP01 Hangar Diorama - Scratch Built  (Read 6351 times)

October 20, 2006, 08:22:14 AM
Read 6351 times

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
EDIT: Picture color and lighting fixed in Photoshop Elements. While I think they're improved, a few look artificial. First try with new software.

I posted my GP01 back when it was finished in May, but the hangar diorama was just a skeleton at the time, and held together with masking tape. Hopefully the completed diorama will be considered for model of the month. It really is a project in its own right. :)

After finishing my dad's Thunderbolt and establishing a new "life equilibrium" after the birth of my daiughter, I went back to work on the Hangar diorama. Click here for the In-Progress page on my website.

This was my first scratch-building project. It's made of Evergreen plastic tubes and sheets, Wave and Kotobukiya option parts, left over bits from Gundam kits and Mechaskunk's cool metal bits and tubing. I feel I have to mention that the back wall's design was "heavily influenced" by Keita's Infinite Justice stand.

Here's the diorama's backstory: Just before unveiling it to the EFSF, AE technicians go over the GP01 one last time. The GP01 has been disassembled to show off it's modular core fighter design. The paint scheme is pre-prototype at this point, even flashier than the standard red/white/blue of most Gundam prototypes. The GP01 is spotless because it hasn't even been test-piloted yet and the hangar has been cleaned up so there's only a little dirt/weathering (this kind of thing really does happen in the prototype airplane world). Oh, and somebody has snuck in to check out AE's new prototypes, and figure out how Zeon might steal one...

I finished this model at 10pm the night before OrangeCon. It got second place (out of 2 entries... :lol: ) in SciFi dioramas.

I had a bit of a tough time photographing it since there's this dark gray background and a bright white Gundam, so please bear with the pictures which vary a bit in color and are a bit too bright in places and too dark in others. I picked these pics from a field that must have been at least 50...

By the way, how do people feel about having me post all of the pictures on one page like this? I'm sure it's a drag for those with dial-up. On the other hand, I know that when I see a long list of links to pictures, I'm about ten times less likely to look at all of them because of all of the going back and forth. I prefer them all at once, but it seems I'm in the minority. Hope this isn't bad forum etiquitte. :?
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

October 20, 2006, 08:34:32 AM
Reply #1

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
I love it.  The pistons in the rifle and shield stands are really nice, it's such a show-off way to store equipment though.  I guess AE is really trying hard to sell this idea to EFSF?  :lol:

I like the "basket" with the personel on top too.  So 2 MG kit when into making this right?

October 20, 2006, 08:42:09 AM
Reply #2

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Ok, I completely missed the little hidden Char figure.  And I was looking at it at the show!  It would have been really cool if you were there longer, I would have just loved standing around talking about the dio.  

I only have one complaint is that it's too clean.  :D  But that's just what I enjoy seeing, a little oil, dents, etc.  I know, the back story describes the reasons for that; but seeing it in person, that was the one thing that really stood out to me... how freaking clean it is.  Simply amazing.

Again, I'm annoyed that I missed the little hidden Char.  I need to up my game for the next comp.

October 20, 2006, 09:57:02 AM
Reply #3

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
That is a fantastic piece. It's amazing how the people in a dio really give it life, depth, and scale. Also, I like the changes you've made (from "stock") to the color scheme--they definitely compliment and enhance what's already there.

I can't understand how this would take second place to anything in a sci-fi diorama.  :?

EDIT: Being on dial-up, loading all the pictures did take a minute or two, but it was worth it. Besides, loading up this page is a breeze compared to pulling up any Dalong page.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

October 20, 2006, 02:51:34 PM
Reply #4

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
I love it! It's so good to see a hangar dio where the MS isn't just standing there. I like how you have the MS apart and being worked on. I agree with the earlier posts too, it looks a little sterile to be a hangar - but don't let that put you off, your dio is awesome!  :D

October 20, 2006, 04:07:46 PM
Reply #5

dorgas

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dorgas.20m.com
Nice work Funaka, i love it! Especially the hidden Char figure  :lol: Nice work on your dio and the color scheme of you FB thumbs up bro! :D
atayin sa Sindak si Barbara!

October 20, 2006, 04:28:01 PM
Reply #6

Kallen

• Information
    • View Profile
Great job Funaka , i like the color schemes.

October 20, 2006, 05:36:45 PM
Reply #7

KeN/TEcH

• Information
    • View Profile
Fantastic... i love how everything goes on this diorama especially those miniature crew members... were they scratch built? It made the diorama looks so alive..

October 20, 2006, 06:06:41 PM
Reply #8

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Thanks for the nice feedback, everyone.

Major Blah-
Yes, I had an earlier GP01 I had built in my pre-airbrush days. It's what I had originally intended the stand for. I used the old GP01's core block and also the upper arm armor and skirt armor to make minor mods to the GP01. I bought a new GP01 in the Amazon blowout. Now I kick myself for not buying another Kampfer!!! :evil: I already have one, but after getting this crazy idea for the KKKKK (or 5K?), I need two, or at least one and a half!

Gamera-
Yeah, it's too clean. It fits the backstory but I also realize that a more weathered model would have been more impressive. I just ran out of time before OrangeCon and to really weather the hangar would mean also weathering the GP01 to match it somewhat. I can't imagine they'd park their shiny new Gundam in a beat-up dirty hangar. At some point you gotta say "It's done." Char was a fun little idea that popped into my head at some point. The Diorama's title should be "Trouble Brewing" like the Gary Larson calendar.

Zerobxu-
Here's the model that beat me. It's pretty much apples and oranges. How do you judge 50's Sinbad fantasy vs. Gundam? His resin kit has a better paint job, I think mine took a lot more time to build... The judges probably just like sailors better!  :lol:

KeN/TeCH-
The figures are Wave's mobile staff. I was really hoping to find some support vehicles in 1/100 or 1/72, but the figures seemed to do a pretty good job of giving the dio life. I'm glad people like them. I'm always iffy on tiny figures in dios. yes, it's good to see people moving around, but since don't move aruond, they look more like statues set around the Gundam than people.  :shock: You expect a Gundam or tank or fighter receiving maintenance to just sit there. You expect people to move... Maybe for my next dio I'll try to train some insects... :lol:
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

October 21, 2006, 02:27:51 AM
Reply #9

wingnut

• Information
    • View Profile
hey funaka,

i love it!!!

now a GM custom in the background would really be perfect...
Everyone grows old, but not everybody grows up..."

October 21, 2006, 06:43:44 AM
Reply #10

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Great looking dio Funaka! I really do love the colors of your Gp01 as orange and blue are a favorite combo of mine. :D The bay looks great too. Everything looks to fit well and not look "scratched". Could be a little dirtier, but that would look odd with the cleanliness of the MS. Kudos for sticking with a consistant style throughout.

October 23, 2006, 02:55:43 AM
Reply #11

erix93

• Information
    • View Profile
Okay, at first I saw this... I tot it was the 1/60 PG GP01 diorama...
which similar like another modeller done before...

But after look here check there...
I only realise it was a MG kit!!  (But it's still looks like PG to me  :lol: )

I like everything on it, aspecially those figures....

Anyway, I like the sneaky Chars very much.....  :lol:

October 23, 2006, 08:17:12 PM
Reply #12

KeN/TEcH

• Information
    • View Profile
This diorama gave a very anime feel but yet realistic which is a very refreshing scene. That sneaky chars just like erix mentioned is a very good idea... i just love the feel of anime in it.

October 23, 2006, 08:36:57 PM
Reply #13

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
I'm with erix on this one--I thought it was a PG GP01 until I went and looked at the HLJ link for the option figures you included. Again, it's a fantastic piece.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

October 28, 2006, 04:21:50 AM
Reply #14

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
Great job. Everything looks good. I think I'll take inspiration fo my own Strike dio.

Nico

November 08, 2006, 07:01:34 PM
Reply #15

tehmarken

• Information
    • View Profile
This looks amazing, and the GP01 is one of my favorite Gundams. I've got the same kit waiting to be built, and seeing what you've done is good inspiration  8)