Author Topic: JGSDF Light Armored Vehicle  (Read 3920 times)

September 02, 2006, 06:19:16 PM
Read 3920 times

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Yeah, it's not a Gundam. :wink: My Japanese Ground Self Defense Force Light Armored Vehicle (whew, a mouthful) is all done. The diorama with the Tactical Armors is still in-progress, but I thought I'd show this kit off on its own as I feel it makes a nice stand-alone piece as well and shows off details that may be obscured in a dio.

The Mig Jiminez Painting/Weathering FAQ book is simply incredible and I recommend it HIGHLY to those of you that want to learn weathering for ANY modeling subject. There's more images in the book than text and that's a fantastic thing. I used a lot of the techniques in the book to complete this piece. I'm actually planning a weathered GM now having done this. *shock*

Anyway, onto the pics and details!

http://fichtenfoo.com/02GiantRobots/02a-JGSDFLAV.html

September 02, 2006, 06:43:29 PM
Reply #1

Captain Obvious

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
That's a great tip on that book, I'll have to get it, thanx.  The weathering turned out great, even down to the dirt on the tires, and windows with wiper tracks.  Cool stuff.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
-Kurt Vonnegut

September 02, 2006, 08:03:39 PM
Reply #2

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Fantastic job on so many levels. You did learn a lot from that book!
I really like how the tires look, so realistic!

September 03, 2006, 01:02:38 AM
Reply #3

NewDesides

• Information
    • View Profile
wow, it's so real!  love the sandy windshields (something you dont see in the gundam world).  since i dont have the book, your pics will be my reference on how to do weatherings.  feeling the interiors too.

September 03, 2006, 06:04:54 AM
Reply #4

G-Sentinel

• Information
    • View Profile
FF do you have a shrink ray because that is unbelievable! There's so much attention to detail. It's just facinating! Great job!
ou don't need to be hot to model, You just need the right tools.

"I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?'"
  - Jay Leno

September 03, 2006, 08:49:26 AM
Reply #5

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Thanks guys!

Ez: That book shows how to do the same tire 9-10 different environments/conditions. Very helpful!

September 03, 2006, 10:35:15 AM
Reply #6

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Nice work as always FF.  :D

September 03, 2006, 11:35:08 AM
Reply #7

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
In your in-prog thread everytime I saw the updates I thought to myself "that looks done".  This happened a few times but everytime you come out with something better in the next update.  It's good that now you call this done, I don't have to think that everytime! :lol:

Seriously very well done, the amount of wear outside the vehicle is great, but the reduced wear inside is even more thoughtful.  Make me what to buy that book, as if getting it would actually help someone like me who can't seem to finish anything, at least not in this level.  :razz:

September 03, 2006, 04:36:28 PM
Reply #8

dorgas

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dorgas.20m.com
Are those flashes on the center part grooves on the tires or its just me :?:  Makes me wanna buy that book! :lol:  Nice work there boss
atayin sa Sindak si Barbara!

September 03, 2006, 04:51:00 PM
Reply #9

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Major: I thought the same thing while doing it. "This *could* be done if I was doing it cleaner." And I figured the inside would be cleaner/neater being less exposed to the elements. I did add some dust to the seats and floor as the crew would drag it in. Thanks for noticing! :-)

dorgas: Yeah, the tires had flash down the center. Since they're a soft rubbery vinyl, I couldn't get them out inbetween the treads, but I could sand them flat which was good enough.

September 03, 2006, 11:32:14 PM
Reply #10

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
I had this book in my hands, it's a mine of gold for any modeller wahatever his level.

Concerning your work I like the vehicule itself the way you dusted it. But it seems so brand new and the inside seems so clean. FF style ?

September 04, 2006, 12:47:04 AM
Reply #11

Mechanoid Paranoid

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechapinoy.net
Wow..nice break from Mecha Modeling!

Now its weathering time!!!  :lol:
I'm waiting for the price to go down.....

September 04, 2006, 06:15:36 PM
Reply #12

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
nico: Thanks! Man... I thought it looked pretty dirty! :P I wanted a contrast between the newer JGSDF vehicle and the old, beat-up jeep I'm doing now. The LAV is better maintained. There's the same colored dust in there, but it's hard to see over the Tamiya "sky" color.

Mechanoid Paranoid: Thanks!

September 04, 2006, 08:22:20 PM
Reply #13

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
I've been eyeballing this kit for awhile now, while looking towards my MG Ingram 2. I think it looks fantastic, and if that MiG book has as heavy an influence in the weathering as you say it did, it was worth every penny. I'll definitely have to snag it. I really like the way you build up sand in every little body-hole on that thing. Definitely reminds me of how my truck looks after a little trip down "roads less traveled".  :lol:

I can't wait to see how this integrates into the dio, as a whole.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

September 05, 2006, 04:05:13 AM
Reply #14

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
I looked at the pics one more time and saw the dusted cockpit. Bleu screens don't help. Yau are right it's not a Hummer in Irac after 2 years or a Willis in Ardennes in the middle of winter.
Some say you increases your skills each time that's true but what I see is that you assert your style each time. (hope it's unterstandable)

September 05, 2006, 12:07:39 PM
Reply #15

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
that's pretty damn fine. at first I thought I was on track-link. :wink:
I wonder about the guy that can sit through a David Lynch movie and say, "I saw that coming."

Krueger's Krieger

September 05, 2006, 12:20:18 PM
Reply #16

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
Very nice looking eye candy you have there Foo. The detail and weathering are wild.
This must look so much better in person.I would think that the picture must hide alot of the powers and rain markings.

I think I will have to give my self an early birthday present and buy this book.

Great job. Can't wait for the dio. :D

September 06, 2006, 10:01:55 AM
Reply #17

bhop73

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bhop73.com/main
That's pretty awesome.  Love the weathering.

September 06, 2006, 10:46:43 AM
Reply #18

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Thanks guys!

Zero: I think I mentioned before somewhere that this would be a great and totally appropriate vehicle for an Ingram dio. Also check out the JGSDF Type 82 and 87. I ordered both on sale cheap the other day. One of them is a command vehicle which would be great. The other has a turret and by replacing the 6 wheels with 6 legs, you'd have one hell of a cool labor.

nico: I understand you now. I'm surprised that my armor has a style too like my Gunpla.

BK: Thanks! maybe I should submit it there. I submitted it to ArmoramA the other day so it'll be in their models on display section. No one there commented on the build though which I thought was sad. I'd had liked feedback, good or bad, from those that do armor specifically.

Oteebzo: Yeah, these always look better in person than in pics. You miss a lot of the subtleties.

Bhop: Thanks man!