Author Topic: Salamis-class light cruiser (Bandai 1/1700)  (Read 3510 times)

January 07, 2013, 07:01:48 PM
Read 3510 times

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi folks,

I finished off the Salamis yesterday and took some pictures today - here they are:

(click for bigger, especially if you like dust!)

I'm pretty pleased with how the Balls (my first ever Gundam, three for the price of one!) came out - they look nice and chunky considering they're about 4.5mm across :)

I wasn't really intending to light this, but realised that with some drilling and filing I could get a 5mm LED into the engine bell, and a 1.8mm square one into the bridge. Running the wires wasn't too hard - I drilled down from the bridge and back from the engine, and then diagonally up from the hole where the stand plugs in until all the bores met. Some more filing and a bit of stiff beading wire helped feed the stranded cable through.

Pleasingly, the battery (a CR2032 coin cell) just fits into the base of the stand, so the whole thing is self contained. I made the battery holder from some bits of metal, but ran out of space for a switch so you have to pop the battery out to turn it off :)

I thought this was a fun little kit, a bit more work than I expected but worth it. It's not very big compared to the box it comes in though:

You also get a larger ship (the Magellan-class battleship) in the box, so I'll have to get on to that in the not too distant future.

Comments + criticism very welcome, and thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Will

January 08, 2013, 12:21:06 AM
Reply #1

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Man that is tiny! Great work getting the lighting in, the engine looks very nice. 

I really like this, you've made all the details pop, and until you see some shots that show the scale you never guess its THAT small. Everytime I see one of your ship/spaceship builds it makes me want to try one myself, it does look like a fun little kit
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

January 08, 2013, 04:34:35 AM
Reply #2

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
With all the detail packed into it, it definitely looks a lot bigger than it is. Man that's a tiny spaceship.

It's excellent, I really like the yellow details at the back as well, and the LED's look great, especially the one in the engine bell.

January 08, 2013, 12:26:57 PM
Reply #3

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, and I think you're right about the detail, Bandai really got that right. Normally the scale cue on big starships is the presence of tiny windows, but I think all the panelling and grilles and strakes do a good job. Somewhat less fiddly than the 1/350 subs as well - no railings :D

I was pleased with how the red engine LED came out - I filed the end of the case down and then cut grooves around it with the edge of the file. It looks like there's a bit more going on than just the plain glow.

Will

January 25, 2013, 10:11:16 AM
Reply #4

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
You know, these EX kits are pretty sweet (even though they're pretty expensive).  Ripe for LEDing though.  This came out excellenty, and I'm envious of your ability to paint the balls...  that's the only thing I'm dreading doing when I get around to getting my collection of EX ships painted (I've got them all except the ever-elusive Musai).  Some of those thrusters/engines are calling out for LEDs....

January 27, 2013, 02:35:40 PM
Reply #5

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
I agree, they're pretty nice kits and I think you get your money's worth - there's quite a bit of construction and painting fun to be had, and the details are very good.

For painting the little things, I find it helps to work subtractively - so I painted the red of the eye surround, and then went back and touched in the grey around it if I'd gone over the line, to refine the shape. That way I could work with the edge of the brush. The other really good tip is if your colours aren't too far apart, in hue and value it doesn't matter *too* much if you don't get it perfect, because a wash will define the line between them sharply and it'll look neat even it if wasn't :D :D

That said, I've finally upgraded to a couple of Kolinsky sable brushes (after I did this) and I think they're going to make a big difference to what's doable and how easy it is.

Will