Author Topic: YMS-09S Dom Schneider.  (Read 8808 times)

June 25, 2011, 01:05:50 AM
Read 8808 times

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Hello!

What's a man to do when he'll be at his home away from home for the next three months, with not a whole lot going on?

Well that man should probably do some modeling.

I've settled on working on a new Dom prototype. The Dom is my favourite mobile suit from Gundam, and I think it might be fun to build one that might actually fit somewhere on the timeline of the Universal Century.

After all these years of just building gunpla out of the box, I'm basically leaping into the world of customization with this project. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some neat tips and tricks along the way if you're willing to provide them :)

So, I started out trying to decide what the base kit would be, and I couldn't choose. So, after long deliberation, the base kit is . . .

That's right, not one, not two, but three different Dom kits! I've chosen to just mix and match parts instead of trying to heavily customize one kit specifically. The three kits are all from the 1/144HGUC line, and are respectively the Rick Dom II, Dom/Rick Dom and the Dom Tropen.

I want the suit to be a semi-plausible prototype, placing it on the Universal Century timeline sometime around the end of the One Year War, possibly as one of the contenders for the position that was ultimately won by the Rick Dom II.

What I've come up with looks to be a very melee oriented mobile suit, although I haven't really decided on the armaments yet (outside of two Heat Sabers).

First I quickly snapped together the three kits, not really doing any work on it aside from snapping it. On the next few pictures you'll see a lot of glaring nub marks and stuff, but those will obviously be taken care of. After building the three kits I tore them apart again, and started picking the parts that I liked the most.
I present to you some pictures of some of the mixed parts test fitted together (with the help of our favourite allies, blutack and masking tape), I've tentatively called it the YMS-09S Dom Schneider:

I suppose first I'll address the elephant in the room. Those arms don't seem to come from either of the three kits I proposed to use.. That's right, I confess. They're actually the arms of the 1/144HGUC Dreissen. The Dreissen is seen as the spiritual followup of the Dom, and I think the arms are pretty cool.
I could see the Neo-Zeon forces digging up some old schematics in U.C. 0088 and deciding that those arms might work on their new mobile suit ;)

What else do we have.. The torso basically comes from the Rick Dom II. That is, the chest, skirt area and the upper legs/thighs. The lower legs come from the Dom/Rick Dom as does the head (it even has an articulated mono-eye!). The Dom tropen provides the shoulder-armour and the backpack/thrusters.

The legs look a little funny right now, but that's partly because the joints didn't match, and I kind of smushes the upper legs on there way behind the knee part, so the whole upper body is actually pushed a bit farther back than the lower legs.

Lots of stuff still to do, I'll try to make another post soon that outlines some of the ideas I'm kicking about!

I'd also love to hear any comments and suggestions anyone might have :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:10:07 AM by Sharkdog »

June 25, 2011, 04:55:06 PM
Reply #1

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
The Dom is my favorite suit, also. I will definitely be following this! Good luck. :)

- Alty

June 26, 2011, 10:17:00 PM
Reply #2

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I decided to outline a few of the ideas I had, partly so I don't forget them, and also to see if anyone has some other suggestions :)

First of all, I've found a glaring problem with the head so graciously provided by the Dom/Rick Dom:

No Zeon suit should ever dare to make an appearance without a swanky chinstrap. I'll have to find some tiny tubing somewhere to make this happen.

Moving down the body, the chest area doesn't need a lot of work, but there's some stuff to be done on the back. First of all, I'll actually have to attach the backpack completely (I'll probably cement it on).

Since I've decided to equip this bad boy with two Heat Sabers, I'll also need to provide it with an extra attachment. All I'll have to do is drill a hole and maybe add an extra polycap on the inside to get a better fit. I also want to copy the hook itself with a putty mold so that they're identical on both sides.
And of course, the thrusters. I'm probably going to see if I can fit a size bigger, since these look a little on the small side to me (They're off the Dom Tropen, which is mostly a land based suit).

Since I already want to replace the thrusters. . .

Bigger thrusters = more output = more fuel = bigger fuel tanks. Plus, fueltanks look badass. I'm not going much bigger with these (not to like Sinanju scale), but I'd like to go at least 1 size bigger.

Moving sideways, we have the Dreissen arms. I love these badboys for the small 3-barrel beam cannons mounted in the forearms.

As you can see, they sort of lift open (it's not as glamourous on the model itself, you lift the armor plate off and place it on a higher peg) to reveal the cannons a little more. Except this doesn't look like it's actually necessary. They only shoot forward and they seem to have plenty of room to fire from, so I've decided I'll probably cement the armour plates together for a nicer overall look.

Another thing I like about the Dreissen arms, is the ornate Zeon markings present on the 'sleeve'.

I like it so much that I've opted to destroy it entirely, and fill in the area within the lower sleeve outline. The raised surface I'll be left with will hopefully look quite good, and make it look a little different from the Dreissen (since I want it to be sort of a precursor to it). The surface should also be big enough for a nice Zeon decal or something.

The arms also looked a little long originally, so I've taking the upper arm plates of the Rick Dom II and replacing the Dreissens upper arm with it.

It needs a little more work to fit properly, but the arms at least look like they belong to this suit now.

For the legs I've taken the thigh sections of the Rick Dom II, and the lower leg section of the Dom.

As you can see, these don't really co-operate. I'll probably see about cutting out the bar in the knee of the lower leg and fitting a polycap in there.
After looking at the legs a little longer, they do seem to look a little plain and barren compared to the rest of the suit. Someone suggested to me to add some external thrusters to the legs, which might be a good idea. I've also come up with this, in addition to the thrusters.

additional thrusters require additional fuel tanks, of course ;)
The problem here is that unless I can find a way to steal some leg mounted thrusters somewhere, I might have to have a go at scratchbuilding them, which is something I've never attempted before.

I do have one more question to ask, and that's about replicating this little part (the handle of the heat saber).

Since I'm giving him two, I'd like both of them to be identical. This particular Heat Saber came with the original Dom, and is the nicest of the bunch. Since it's got sort of a 'claw' thing going on, I'm assuming that I can't easily recast one with putty. How else could I do it?

Hopefully this makes at least a little sense, I'm definitely all hyped up and am gonna cut into this baby very soon!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:54:35 AM by Sharkdog »

June 27, 2011, 02:29:11 PM
Reply #3

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
Excellent thread man! Way better than mine... *is shamed*

I'm looking forward to this huge bashing-o-kits, hopefully it will give you the results you're looking for.

As for the recasting of the heat rod... hmm, never done that before, but from what I've ever seen, that little part looks like it's gonna be a pain in the.. well, it's gonna be hard, especially if you've never done it before. I suggest getting a whole new set, or getting it from a person who may (or may not) be using their own. For instance... I don't plan on using my heat rod from the Dom/Rick Dom, I was thinking about adding on a GM-type Beam Saber actually... Let me know if you want it and I'll figure out how to get it to you in one piece.. if that's the route you want to go.

I was gonna say that we could have a little build off thing going on, but I'm thinking that you're WAY ahead of me right now, I don't have a lot of time to build and when I do have time I don't do much... Lot of modification involved in my build. But a suggestion from me is that maybe you should do a little to the lower legs, they look boring, need more... something. I don't know, think up something and give it a go, or don't... whichever
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:34:00 PM by IcecoldJV »

June 27, 2011, 02:43:47 PM
Reply #4

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Resident member of the Pixie Symphony.
  • Information
  • "I will kill you so dead right now."
    • View Profile
This is going to be a prototype, yes?  As such, it probably will not have a lot of grime and grease, and look pretty new, right?  Riiight?

If that's the case, I think I have something for you:

Here is a tutorial for some shiny thrusters!  I think, if you could get the right pen size, you could make some really sharp-looking thruster bells for this thing.

Aaand that's all I got for ya at the moment.  Good luck on this, I think it'll look great!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:44:06 PM by The Magic Tuba Pixie »
I do other things, too.

June 28, 2011, 05:51:04 AM
Reply #5

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Thanks!

It's definitely going to look shiny and new. Metal thrusters are a cool idea, I'm going to see if I can find some (or as you suggested, find some pens).

IcecoldJV: I'm glad we're not doing a buildoff :P I hope to be able to do this at my own pace, so I can start getting the hang of things. Thanks for the offer on the Heat Rod, though I might try to get a hold of it some other way. I'm at least going to hold off on it for a little while, since I have some work on the legs that I want to try, and if I mess that up I might need new legs!
I'm definitely going to do something with the lower legs. If you look at the picture with the fuel tanks on the legs, the slanted 'Thruster!' exclamations are actually there to indicate that I want to build a thruster to fit on there. Not sure yet how to do it, I'll probably have to scratchbuild it so I'm a little apprehensive :)

June 28, 2011, 03:19:50 PM
Reply #6

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
Well, if at any time you are in dire need of a part that I'm not going to be using, I'll be glad to send it your way, if you want to keep that in mind.

Having read your thread and seeing all the things you've done so far kinda made me a little jealous, so immediately after reading it I went to my kits and started some hardcore bashing. I'm almost done now with the modifications, just gotta finish the shoulders and start glueing and using some modeling clay to fix up a few pieces that don't look quite up to par. I may end up grabbing some putty when I go home on Leave here next month... but we'll see. I should probably leave my updates for my thread... shouldn't I... heh..

Anyway, I'm excited to see how yours turns out. Hope that color scheme works good for you too! I'll be watching *squints eyes*

June 29, 2011, 09:13:46 AM
Reply #7

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Did a little work on this today.

I went ahead and drilled the extra hole in the backpack:

I suppose I could've just left it after drilling the hole itself, but I decided to make an attempt at appeasing the gods of symmetry. It seems to have worked out quite alright.

I took this one step further, since I still had to be able to firmly get the peg of the Saber Clasp in there.

This was basically my first time at creating something out of plaplate. It's a little wonky, but I tried to be as meticulous as I could at the scale I was working in (which is also my excuse for the blurry-ish picture, bad lighting and tiny parts).

After having fitted the little clasp, I was able to get the peg in and come up with some positive results!

The peg is actually a little slanted, but it's barely noticeable, so I'm going to let it slide for now.

The other thing I did is cut into the chestpiece a little bit so that I could bust another cap in there to fit the head. I think 95% of HGUC's use the same polycap construction to connect the head to the body, but of course the particular Dom head I choose doesn't..

That's it for today!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:18:04 AM by Sharkdog »

June 29, 2011, 12:31:39 PM
Reply #8

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
Looking good so far, Sharky.  For some reason I feel like a proud papa, whose kid has just learned to ride his bike without training wheels...    :razz:

July 01, 2011, 02:18:42 PM
Reply #9

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
I don't know if you thought of it yet, but your Dom could definitely use some heavy weapons when all is said and done... just a thought

July 01, 2011, 11:27:36 PM
Reply #10

Bhm

• Unf unf unf unf unf!
  • Information
  • DEATH FROM ABOVE!
    • View Profile
Looking sharp! :)

July 02, 2011, 05:37:56 AM
Reply #11

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone!

IceColdJV: I'm actually planning to keep this guy a little light on the weaponry, in light of his high mobility and close range combat expertise.

But, since I've got lots of extra parts leftover to technically build two more Doms, I already have an idea for another one, which does involve some heavy weaponry!

July 09, 2011, 01:09:53 AM
Reply #12

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Did a little more work on the Dom. I've finally managed to fit the legs properly, and they look pretty good!

I've definitely learned a lot already. I started out with just filling up the round 'joint' part on the inside with standard Tamiya Putty. That was silly of me, and once I noticed it wasn't really drying, I started digging it out, noticing that it had melted some of the plastic on the inside. I'm pretty happy that it didn't eat through the entire thing!

I then redid it with epoxy putty and sanded it smooth, which worked quite well. I didn't think I'd need to fill up the other side of the joint since there was a peg there that I could easily fit the polycap in. I went on and drilled a hole in the puttied side and was ready to fit it all together.

Eeeexcept that it didn't really work out the way I had intended for it.. There was too much space between the two 'joint' circles so the connecting part only kind of loosely hung there, which would make the whole suit be unable to stand at all. That's not what we want, so back to the drawing board.

I devised this whole elaborate way of inserting a rod to make it all fit together, but in the back of my mind I already knew this wasn't really going to work.
Along came my buddy Zircor with something that I hadn't really thought of yet.. Make the gap in the middle narrower by adding plaplate!

So I went ahead and puttied up both sides this time, for some added strength. Then I cut out a few bits of plaplate, starting with just one thin plate on either side. What I ended up with was about three layers of the plaplate, which adds up to about 1 millimeter. I could've just used 1mm thick plaplate, but I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.

After sanding it all up, I drilled a hole in both the sides, and then fitted the upper leg in there. Everything looks pretty hunky dory to me! I should still probably cut the outer 'joint' from the upper leg away, because right now it looks like it has a bunch of joints. not sure yet how I'll do that since there's some integral stuff in there to keep that part together.
The only thing I'm a little worried about is that over time the polycap might loosen up too much, and I won't be able to remove it once I've glued the legs together to get rid of the seamlines.

Here's a shot of the whole thing (as it currently is) fit together again:

As you can see I also shortened the arms a little bit. I've actually since then added some bits at the top of the upper arm so it looks a little nicer (akin to what was originally there before I sawed it off).

There's still so much to do though, I've got to add a nice pipe to the head (probably going from the 'mouth' to the backpack). I have to mount the backpack, and I'm going to bulk up the legs a bit more, for which I'll have to do some scratch building.

So far so good!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:13:34 AM by Sharkdog »

July 09, 2011, 09:33:57 AM
Reply #13

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
Wow, that's coming along nicely!  Proportions are looking nice, aside from maybe the upper legs needing a bit of lengthening.  I guess that may come once you figure out how to get rid of that round part on the lower part of it, though  ;)

July 09, 2011, 10:15:28 AM
Reply #14

apocalypse

• Information
    • View Profile
Nice, i too believe the upper legs might need some beefing up to go with the skirt armor.

July 11, 2011, 06:31:45 AM
Reply #15

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Thanks for the comments, I'll definitely have another look at the upper legs.

Now I'm looking for some opinions.. I found an awesome spring, part of Wave's modeling support line, and I've also found some metal links that I could use in conjunction with the spring to create the tube around the face.

I'm a little torn though! The spring actually looks pretty good on its own. The links are a little big for the face actually, though I think I might be able to find them a size smaller.

Anyone mind sharing what they think?

July 11, 2011, 06:50:40 AM
Reply #16

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
I think the spring by itself is the way to go.

July 11, 2011, 09:31:50 AM
Reply #17

Stratos

• Information
    • View Profile
Both are nice. I prefer the links.

July 11, 2011, 03:20:34 PM
Reply #18

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
I also prefer the links as well, they look pretty nice... kinda what I wanted to add to my own Dom kit..... but now that you got it, i guess i'll try something else... *shakes fist* It's all good.

July 11, 2011, 09:58:02 PM
Reply #19

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Resident member of the Pixie Symphony.
  • Information
  • "I will kill you so dead right now."
    • View Profile
I'm a fan of those links.  Very hot.
Out of curiosity, where did you get the links?  I'm not familiar with that technique / parts.
I do other things, too.