Author Topic: STEAMDOG (Steampunk ATM-09-ST Scopedog Conversion)  (Read 9074 times)

May 30, 2011, 10:56:40 AM
Read 9074 times

Tinman

• Information
    • View Profile
Ok, so I've been a member for some time but spend my time lurking and watching what others are doing.  Lots of talented people here for sure!!!  Today I thought I'd post a few pics to show what I've been working on with the hopes of the members keeping me motivated.  Like a lot of modelers, I have no problem starting a project but finishing is another story.

I love Steampunk technology and thought I'd take a stab at converting a Bandai 1/20 Scopedog into something from the Victorian Era.  For some reason I started the project by working on a rifle.  Also included are pics of the torso.  The steam-driven power plant will be mounted on the back and the arms and legs will have to be re-worked to dumb down and hide the Scopedog technology.

Being from the Victorian Era the gunstock HAD to be made of wood.  At first I was going to carve it out of balsa or other soft wood but decided to make it with sandwiched sheet styrene and tubing.  The tricky part will be painting it to look like wood.

Carving and scraping the gunstock to shape wasnít hard but was a bit time consuming getting it to fit in the Scopedogís hand correctly.

The gun barrel was also made from sheet styrene and tubing.  I wanted something ďbeefyĒ looking and will add some delicate detail found in most Steampunk tech.  I think the barrel has to sit further down in the stock so Iíll continue to tweak it.

Here's a few pics of the torso, lots of rivets and such will be added when I get further into the project.  The cockpit access panel will be made to look like it flips forward on hinges.  At first I wanted to do a Victorian-style cockpit but decided to focus on exterior detail.  Perhaps next time?

The head is something thatís been holding back the project but I think I found a direction I want to go in.  More pics to follow and all comments welcome.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 02:09:06 PM by Tinman »

May 30, 2011, 02:53:26 PM
Reply #1

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
If the rest of this project comes out looking half as good as the stock, then you're going to have one hell of a kit  :)

May 30, 2011, 02:55:58 PM
Reply #2

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Resident member of the Pixie Symphony.
  • Information
  • "I will kill you so dead right now."
    • View Profile
Ooh, this is nice.  I'm excited for this.

Regarding the Scopedog head: Have you thought about an open-air cockpit?  You could just stick a figurine torso up there for scale and completely forgo the round, futuristic stock head.

Oh, and how many rivets are you going to do?  Please, take it from me, it's incredibly time-consuming if you try the method I am, but I think it'll look good.
I do other things, too.

May 30, 2011, 03:52:08 PM
Reply #3

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Awesome. Looking forward to more.

May 30, 2011, 05:59:17 PM
Reply #4

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
That stock looks amazing, did you achieve that just by cutting and sanding the plates you stuck together, or were there other tools involved?

May 30, 2011, 09:17:57 PM
Reply #5

Atlas100

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi Tinman. Nice WIP. Looking forward to see the painted model. Btw, how do you make the row of teeth on top of the gun barrel? Thanks.

May 31, 2011, 12:58:56 AM
Reply #6

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Wow. Great skills. The gun looks awesome.
Throw it Hard

May 31, 2011, 02:41:13 PM
Reply #7

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Very clean work, can't wait to see more of it!

May 31, 2011, 05:21:53 PM
Reply #8

Tinman

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks for the kind words guys!

TMTP, I thought about an open cockpit with Victorian Era wood chair and delicate controls but wanted to show more metal.  One thing I like about steam-powered equipment is how heavy it looks; I thought an open cockpit would lighten it too much.  Also, painting a figure is a whole other ballgame for me, it could easily make or break a model.  I understand I have to do a lot of rivets and am not sure of the method I want to use.  I purchased some 1mm bearings but could easily see them popping out all the time, especially before paint.  If you know of a good method, feel free to educate me.  Any way I look at it itíll be time consuming...but I donít mind time consuming for good results.

It may sound funny but Iíve been experimenting with Mylar sequins to make my own rivets.  Not the sequins themselves but the tiny dots that are left over after the center is punched out.  If you buy a bag of sequins it always has a bunch of the dots too.

I lay the dots out on the sticky side of a Post-It, mix a small amount of slow-curing epoxy glue and using a sharp toothpick place a tiny drop on each sequin dot.  It has the tendency to form and dry like a tiny lens and when painted looks like a rivet.  Unpainted they make great indicators and lenses and can be made in many colors. Theyíre unbelievably small but actually a little large for this scale.  I do plan on using them here and there to break up the uniformity.

Sharkdog, when the gunstock was in the state shown in pic 4 (above) I used heavy nail clippers to cut off the excess plastic around the edges.  After that I mostly used the x-acto knife shown to scrape it to shape.  It sounds time consuming but with a sharp knife went pretty quick.  My Dremel had the tendency to melt the plastic and sandpaper didnít give me the control I needed.  Basically, I took my time and whittled on it like a piece of wood to get it to shape.  Scraping it with the knife also leaves a grain-like finish which I may leave vice sanding it smooth prior to paint.

Atlas100, the teeth on top of the barrel were achieved using Evergreen corrugated sheet plastic.  Iím not sure of the size because I donít have the bag it came in.  I cut a small strip perpendicular to the corrugation, a little larger than I needed and used Tamiya cement to glue it in place.  When the piece was fully dry I laid the barrel on its side and sanded it on a flat surface to the desired thickness.  If you look at the pic closely you can see the barrel itís nothing more than tubing and sheet styrene glued together.  I like to use superglue as a filler but have to be careful when sanding because the plastic is softer and tends to go away faster.

Thanks again guys, Iíll post updates as I have them.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:36:20 AM by Tinman »

May 31, 2011, 05:37:01 PM
Reply #9

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Resident member of the Pixie Symphony.
  • Information
  • "I will kill you so dead right now."
    • View Profile
I use a method I found on a website called "Sogni-Di Gundam" (whatever that means).
The tutorial can be seen here.

However, instead of a random sheet of aluminium, I used an old bottle cap.  I've found that all you have to do is just poke it with something sharp and hard, and you've got a rivet mold.  That's how I've been doing my itty-bitty rivets on my Gogg:

(More details here.)
(I apologize for shameless self-advertising.)

But yeah, that's how I've been doing mine.  It's more irregular than your method, I would think, but you get to play with fire...
:D
I do other things, too.

June 01, 2011, 12:53:23 AM
Reply #10

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Awesome, miniature wood carving (on plastic) ;)

June 04, 2011, 09:12:48 AM
Reply #11

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
I am really starting to like these Skope Dogs.  The more I see what you guys do with them the more I want to try one.  The Steam Punk look is going to look very nice on this.  Great job so far.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

June 04, 2011, 10:05:19 AM
Reply #12

Bhm

• Unf unf unf unf unf!
  • Information
  • DEATH FROM ABOVE!
    • View Profile
This looks very interesting... I've never been a fan of steampunk stuff but I like the way you've gotten it to LOOK like steampunk, even this early. Keep it up :D

June 04, 2011, 03:23:05 PM
Reply #13

Tinman

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks guys.  Below are a few update pics of some of the recent progress.

First off, I wanted to replace the ďfoot boxĒ cause of all the Scopedog attributes, this is my least favorite.  Iím really not sure of itís function other than giving you access to the bottom of the cockpit to see the driverís feet.  When the kitís piece is flipped upside-down it looks better but doesnít fit very well.  The replacement piece was constructed from sheet styrene and fits better than the tape would hold it in place.  Itíll be detailed with rivets and other stuff at a later date.

I also worked on the steam engineís flywheel but Iím not sure of the direction I want to go.  Researching  steam-driven tractors and other steam-powered equipment youíll always see a large, oversized flywheel.  I made the small one by laminating the three left-hand gears of a set purchased at a craft store.  The larger one was made from a 1/12 scale motorcycle wheel.  I like the detail of the larger one but not a fan of my end design. Fortunately, I have an extra wheel in my parts bin if I decide to go that way.

What do you think, is the large wheel too big to fit on the back of the Steamdog?

June 05, 2011, 04:17:05 AM
Reply #14

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I don't know much about the workings of steam powered devices, but you could see if you could fit all three smaller ones on the back, instead of the one big one. They don't have to be symmetrically placed or something like that I think, although it's also possible this might make the back look a bit busy (and open to attack :P)

June 05, 2011, 06:46:14 AM
Reply #15

Tinman

• Information
    • View Profile
I'd like to make it as "real" as possible as far as the steam-driven mechanics go.  A common and more interesting part is the large flywheel, which I'd like to incorporate.  I'm also looking forward to building the centrifugal governor, another cool and important part of a steam engine.  Your right though, symmetry is not important but busy is what I'm going for.  Steampunk tech often looks busy, over-engineered, delicate, and in most cases open to attack.  ^_^ 

June 05, 2011, 01:22:43 PM
Reply #16

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
You can always pass it off as being somewhat of a 'modified' steam engine ;)

June 12, 2011, 01:55:10 PM
Reply #17

MZ3

• Information
  • ?u?su? su????? ?nos ???
    • View Profile
Very nice, I can't wait to see this one completed!
MZ3's Flickr

Posting from a PS3 sucks balls!!!!!!!!!!

June 14, 2011, 03:53:17 AM
Reply #18

Tinman

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks guys.  Not much progress lately, getting ready to go on vacation.  I'll be sure to get back at it and provide updates when I get back.

October 23, 2011, 05:47:54 PM
Reply #19

Tinman

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi guys! I just wanted to post a quick update to my SteamDog project.  Admittedly, Iíve been lazy this summer but Iím spending more time building now that the weather is changing.  Figuring out what to do to the head was exhausting but you can see the direction Iím going. The plan for now is to build a mechanical ďmain eyeĒ and have two portholes on either side. Of course I have tons of welds and rivets to doÖ

One eye or three.  What do you think?

Iíve been playing with Mr. Surfacer 500 to add texture to the metal panels.  Whatís the best product to clean brushes of this stuff?

Thoughts and comments welcome!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:54:34 AM by Tinman »