Author Topic: HGUC MS-09+ Dom Plus (added pictures/questions)  (Read 4190 times)

May 08, 2011, 06:56:46 PM
Read 4190 times

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey all,

This is my first time creating a thread for a model in-progress. So here's the scoop: I'm planning on using parts from HGUC MS-09 Dom and HGUC MS-09F Dom Tropen to create what I call the Dom Plus. I'm going to use my favorite parts from each kit, but it's going to take a bit of modification to make it all fit together. Some written assistance would be greatly appreciated, especially since I have limited access to modeling equipment in my local area (unless I order online) and funds are a little low... Anyway, here's a pic of the scheme and somehwat of the look I'm looking for.

I hope the picture works... Pardon the horrible look that the feet take on, didn't get quite a good match with the images I used. Anyway, it is primarily the Dom/Rick Dom body and legs, with few exceptions. The pelvis will be from the Dom Tropen kit, as well as the feet, hands, shoulders, and the booster/backpack. The parts where I see myself having the most problems at are the back plate and the chest plate matching together, and getting the feet to fit onto the Dom's legs... they don't quite match up. I'll let you all know when I've made any progress! Thanks for looking in!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:57:57 AM by IcecoldJV »

May 09, 2011, 07:03:09 AM
Reply #1

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Resident member of the Pixie Symphony.
  • Information
  • "I will kill you so dead right now."
    • View Profile
This seems like this will be a very interesting model once completed.

I haven't really done any huge conversions and am by absolutely no means a modeling expert, but I can pass on some information I have gleaned from lurking around on these forums:
  • Modeling putty will be invaluable for filling gaps between parts
  • PLA plating (little sheets of plastic easily malleable and cut into almost any shape), for the same reason as putty and for adding details
  • Lots of time and a careful hand

I, myself, am working on just a straight OoB MSM Gogg with not conversions, and it's gonna take me forever.  I would suggest taking your time and making sure everything is exactly the way you want it.

Please keep up updated!  I'll be watching this.
I do other things, too.

May 10, 2011, 03:23:29 PM
Reply #2

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
Did some light modification to the joints at the ankles of the feet. Pretty much, the PC piece that goes in place for the joint on the Dom Tropen's foot was simply not large enough for the ball of the ankle for the regular Dom. I just cut out a little of the plastic that holds that joint on, and voila! Pictures will come later to show what I did.

Next problem... I'm using the legs from the MS-09 Dom, and while that armor bows out to the sides pretty far, it doesn't go far enough to get around that air-intake piece jutting off of one side of the foot. Going to have to cut down on the leg armor and hopefully match it to the other leg as well. I also haven't quite figured out if I want to use a simpe hobby knife, or bring out the big guns for it... I'm thinking hobby knife/exacto blade, it should do the number just fine.

Anyone have any suggestions for other mods? I'd like to get my hands on some of those aftermarket thruster bells... but isn't Mechaskunk closed now? Meh, I don't have the money for it anyway...

May 10, 2011, 05:21:20 PM
Reply #3

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Information
    • View Profile
Oh, oh, oh!  Yes, I have something that will help!

THIS

Who needs high-quality aftermarket products when you can just root through the garbage?

Aaand maybe this will help, too.
I got my IC sockets (called "SIP sockets" where I live) at a local Fry's.

Here is some more stuff that might be helpful.

I'm sure there's other inspiration you can get on the internet somewhere; you just have to know where to look!
I do other things, too.

May 10, 2011, 07:35:03 PM
Reply #4

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
That's absolutely awesome! Thanks for the links, I haven't seen any of those how-to's before and I do WAY too much research. I'm gonna have to try out the pen tip method, that should work out for the thruster bells on the Dom's back, maybe even in the legs too and under the skirt. The only problem that I have is... I'm in a rather desolate area of the US. The biggest store I have in a 200 mile radius is Wal-Mart, and unfortunately, they are rarely stocked with food, let alone random electronics pieces or hobby material. Looks like online shopping I go.... after the paycheck maybe..

EDIT: Alright, I finally got to the pictures that I promised of the work and the dilemma's.

Dilemma number one: When putting the Dom Tropen feet together, the polycap from the MS-09 Dom does not fit into the place where the Dom Tropen poly cap fits, as seen below...

All I did to fix it was cut off a little bit of the plastic that holds the smaller polycap and all is better....

Next dilemma: Since I am using the Dom Tropen feet on the MS-09 Dom legs.... the lower leg armor does not fit perfectly around the air intake valve on the side of the feet... I'm going to need to make a few cuts, but I'm not entirely sure how to do it just yet. I'm thinking exacto knife, but I don't know how to make it perfect for the other leg without drawing up something to trace onto the plastic and then cut that line.... Any ideas, or is that a good enough idea? Let me know!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:53:40 PM by IcecoldJV »

May 28, 2011, 03:32:23 PM
Reply #5

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
Double Post for activity!

Anyway, I did a bit more to the model today. Not only did I solve dilemma #2 from the above post, but now I found out the 3rd one... And it's gonna be a pain in the butt because I can't find a good place out here with ANY modeling supplies, and lack of money equals not able to purchase stuff online as of yet... Anyway, here are the pictures of what was done to the leg armor...

Photo 1: I started off with marking where I needed to cut on both legs. It was fairly simple, though I thought it would have been more complicated due to the armor being rounded. I just took tape measure and marked out the measurements on both sides.

Photo 2: Blurry, I know... but the point is to show you that I traced the outline of the pencil marking with my knife, as seen in the picture...

Photo 3: Which brings me to the end result of the cut portion... I sanded down the cut edge so it wasn't so ugly anymore and then...

Photo 4: I put them all together and what do you get? A mix and match Dom leg!!

With all said and done for that... the next painful part is that I have to match up the upper leg to the pelvis joint of the Dom Tropen... It's not working out too well and I don't have anything except modeling clay to work with. When I get pictures of that, I will show you what's going on, it'll be easier to see it than have me try to explain... Comments are much appreciated!

May 28, 2011, 05:21:01 PM
Reply #6

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Information
    • View Profile
Wow, I really love the lower legs.  That cut part looks perfect
As for Dilemma #3: it is most unfortunate that you don't have any modeling / hobby stores nearby.  I would have suggested getting thick pla plating (or styrene sheet, whatever it's called) and reconstructing armor that way.
Ya know what?  I probably have a link to a scratch-building guide...
Here is the PDF file, which I got from here.  Hopefully, that'll help a bit.  I haven't scratch-built anything, so I would really be able to help in that area.  But good luck, and I'm really excited to see this done!
I do other things, too.

May 30, 2011, 05:16:57 AM
Reply #7

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
That looks outstanding!

I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread, because I'm actually planning a very similar project! I was looking at combining three Dom models though, the HGUC MS-09 Dom/MS-09R Rick Dom, HGUC MS-09F Dom Tropen and HGUC MS-09RII Rick Dom II into one.

Funnily enough, my preliminary colour scheme is actually very similar to your planned colour scheme!

This is the coloured line-art I've played around with to come up with a colour scheme. The lineart is just a random Dom so there's still a lot subject to change when I finally start on the project:

I'd like to think this is just another case of great minds thinking alike ;)

May 30, 2011, 08:28:10 AM
Reply #8

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
That looks outstanding!

I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread, because I'm actually planning a very similar project! I was looking at combining three Dom models though, the HGUC MS-09 Dom/MS-09R Rick Dom, HGUC MS-09F Dom Tropen and HGUC MS-09RII Rick Dom II into one.

I'd like to think this is just another case of great minds thinking alike ;)

Sharky!  Glad you made it, bud!  I saw this thread and immediately thought of your project, so figured you might like it (if not outright learning a thing or two).  These forums are definitely good for that  ;)

May 30, 2011, 06:11:10 PM
Reply #9

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
I had thought of using parts from the Rick Dom II model, but I seem to have misplaced it somewhere... Been searching, but haven't found anything yet. I was also thinking of switching up a few parts for the Rick Dias also, but again... haven't found the old model... I'm just trying to do something different than OOB builds with no paint jobs and such.

Anyway, right now I am attempting to match up the chest and back pieces from the two models. If you don't remember from my first post, I'm going to use the chest piece from the MS-09 Dom, and the back piece from Dom Tropen. I was going to use the mid-section from the Dom, but it doesn't seem to be working out too well, WAY too much modification needed, so I'm going to use the mid-section from the Dom tropen. I'm having a blast, don't worry about it, I will hopefully have it together soon and get you guys some pictures.

Shark: That's a good color scheme. I did a couple of schemes for this build, and one of them included the parade colors. If you'd like, I can post the picture and show it to you all. Maybe it'll be something that you are more interested in? Let me know if you want it posted.

June 01, 2011, 09:10:16 AM
Reply #10

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I wouldn't mind having a look at the other colour schemes you toyed with!

June 01, 2011, 03:51:25 PM
Reply #11

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
If that's the case, then here is the Parade Colors Dom. It's a nice scheme to it, of course make changes as necessary...

It was a fun color scheme, it had a couple of mods or additions I would have done to it.. such as the chest vents and the yellow ammunition blocks on the pelvis. Otherwise I would have basically Gundam-ized the Dom, which was my goal with it... But the guys at work didn't like the scheme, so I messed around, drew on a little bit and created the scheme  posted in my first post.

June 02, 2011, 01:27:40 PM
Reply #12

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
That's an interesting idea, giving the Dom original Gundam colours.

I'll probably stick with my heavy black and white contrast though. If it all works out I might even try to do one in Dom colours.

June 12, 2011, 02:43:07 PM
Reply #13

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
Did a little bit of work on the model over the past two weeks. I started work on the chest, trying to match the tropen lower torso and back piece with the Dom chest piece. I had to cut a little bit from either side of the chest piece in order for it to fit around the tropen's lower torso. I'm about to use some modeling clay in order to put them together, and i'll be using some modeling clay on the legs to make the poly cap fit into the upper leg... After I do all of these things I will be putting together the arms and finishing up the skirt armor. With all of those things completed I'll be done with the pre-building and be moving on to glueing, masking, and priming, then on to painting and then it'll be all done and posted for your viewing pleasure!

Sorry, no prictures, but I'll be taking some later this week. And I may take some pictures of my older works of Gundam art, namely a custom painted Wing ver Ka, and I may be able to put up pics of my First Grade Gundam Exia (got it the day it came out in japan, had absolutely no detail and was ugly, so I beautified it).

July 01, 2011, 11:47:45 AM
Reply #14

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
Alright, so last time I posted I had said something about posting pictures of what I had been doing... Well, time has passed and I did a little more, so I'll share the images.

First off, the problem from the last time, matching the MS-09 Chest piece with the back piece of the Tropen. Like I said, I did a couple of cuts from the chest piece and sanded down the edges until they were almost a perfect fit. Not the best work, especially in comparison with some of the pieces I've seen posted here, but it looks alright. For the pre-build I used sticky tac to get the pieces to hold together while I evaluated the work...

After that, I assembled what I had already build and it looked a lot like...

And of course, I built the arms, though I found out that it was a little difficult getting the shoulder piece peg to fit through the upper arm and into the polycap in the elbow. I put the head together also, but not very fond of it... If I get a chance or sum up the courage, I may end up modifying the head as well... needs those awesome tubes like the Zaku and Gouf have... just seems like it's missing something key. Anywho, here you go!

After I put together the arms, I figured that I would try using the Dom Tropen upper arm pieces and they worked out a bit better than the purple ones in the picture. I think I'm going to stick with the Tropen upper arms, fits better with the shoulder joint. Next thing to do is put the hands together, but unfortunately the poly cap for the Tropen doesn't fit in the wrist slot, so I am forced to use the Dom hands... which are ugly... I'll see if I have something else laying around the house. After I get the hands together then put together the shoulder, it's about time to get the clay out and start putting things together (unless I can get my hands on some pla-plate).

That should be all, hopefully I'll have a little more work done to it soon and I'll be posting it up for you to enjoy! Thanks for stopping by!

August 20, 2011, 03:14:18 PM
Reply #15

IcecoldJV

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey guys, sorry for not having any updates for quite a while... I know many of you guys are looking at my thread thinking that i'm just a random dude that came here to try doing the same things as you all have been doing and that I won't finish it, hence why my model hasn't gotten much attention yet... but i swear that i'll have this finished before the year is out.

I stopped my project due to many unfortunate events that have recently changed my daily schedule... got in a bad car accident that totaled the car, so i'm without one of those and have been for a while now, and I'm a US military member so my duty, of course, always comes first and I've had to take on the duty load of 3 other people since those members are deployed right now... Basically, I have no time for myself and it sucks. That's my rutt.

Regardless of those things, the update that I do have is that I tried to use modeling clay to fill some gaps in the model. On the rear skirt of the Dom Tropen, many of you know, there are those little slots for the extra ammo to stick into and I wanted to fill those. Well, modeling clay isn't exactly easy to smooth out, it comes off in chunks whenever i scrape it to smooth it over. I'm about to go home on leave here in a few weeks so I figured I'd stop at a hobbyUSA shop and pick up a tube of putty to fill those slots and in the joints (i have to modify the joints so they work correctly). I may pick up some pla-plate as well, but that might be going a little overboard considering I have no tools to use in order to modify with pla-plate. Anyway, all of those things have been on my mind, and the other thing is that I need some white primer so I can prime those lighter areas first... I've made the mistake of priming with gray primer and then painting over it in white... good LORD did that take many coats to cover it all. Never doing that again.

Hope you guys enjoy my excuses for no work! I am really hoping that I'll be able to finish this guy sometime before Thanksgiving or Christmas!! Enjoy!