Author Topic: Decals Questions (Ask them here!)  (Read 80684 times)

September 11, 2010, 11:09:15 PM
Reply #160

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Just to be clear, I'm talking about spraying a coat on the decals WHILE THEY ARE STILL ON THE DECAL SHEET.
OK. I'm confused. I didn't know I had to do this. :doh:

So to understand completely,I guess I have a different question now.
#1 What is the ratio of MicroDF to alchohol? (I noticed on the MS site it doesn't mention thinning for use?)I assume you hand brush it on the decal sheet like other micro products? Or do you airbrush it on?
Thanks for the help Funaka, this has been a tough subject for me to get cleared up.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:21:11 PM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

September 12, 2010, 03:30:15 AM
Reply #161

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Ah ok, that is what I figured you were talking about. So yeah, my question of that Testor's spray still is up in the air. As I don't have a ready supply of Mr Super Clear anything, like to use that the least I can.

Easiest thing to do is, pick a decal from the sheet you know you won't be using, and try it out.  Only way to be sure.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:30:27 AM by fulcy »

September 12, 2010, 05:50:07 PM
Reply #162

Grenger

• Information
    • View Profile
Yeah, probably what I will end up doing. Just figured I would check on here before doing that. The whole "learn from other's mistakes" thing haha.

November 04, 2010, 10:55:40 AM
Reply #163

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this has been addressed already, but here's my issue/question - I always use water slides, mostly from Samuel, but I do love Mecha Skunk's as well.  For the most part, I have very little trouble with them, but once in a while I'll get what looks like an air bubble underneath the decal.  I use a softener, and while this helps, everyone once in a while, it'll still be there after the softener is applied.  When that's the case, I find my top coat, which I use Dull Cote, not FFA, tends to resolve the issue.  But on my latest project it did not.  So here's my question: 

Does anyone know if the softener will react poorly with Dull Cote if I try to re-apply with some small blade slits in the decal?  I just thought I'd ask before I have to try it out the hard way.

Thanks for any input!
Building Gundam Kits since 1995

November 04, 2010, 11:11:30 AM
Reply #164

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Does anyone know if the softener will react poorly with Dull Cote if I try to re-apply with some small blade slits in the decal?

I have had it discolor my paint and react unfavorably around the decal area before when using it this way. If you feel like you need to do it this way, I recommend not getting too much softener on any space other than the decal itself.
Saying that, ,I usually make sure to decal on top of a clear now and then dull it after. A workflow I learned here. Decaling seems much smoother this way.
Throw it Hard

November 04, 2010, 11:28:09 AM
Reply #165

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
Thanks Grail...yeah, I know.  The end result is that I should really do a gloss coat, then dull it.  I'm not sure why I'm so hesitant to do so.

I just tried it on one of the worst decals on the side of a cannon.  So far it looks to be working okay, but that could change once it dries. 

November 05, 2010, 09:28:49 PM
Reply #166

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
If you have air bubbles after putting the decal down and using the softener take a new blade and poke a few holes in the decal. (teeny tiny ones)

Then brush a new coat of the decal softener on and it should absorb into the bubbles and fix any issues. Let dry, then spray your top coat.

November 05, 2010, 09:31:51 PM
Reply #167

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
Thanks Matt, I did just that and it worked great.  I was concerned that the softener would react badly with the Testor's Dull Cote, but I'm glad to report it had no effect at all.  Now the decals look way WAY better.  Not 100% perfect, but pretty darn good.

December 09, 2010, 08:19:18 PM
Reply #168

JBOT

• Information
    • View Profile
Hello. I am new to the FICHTENFOO message board, but I have been modelling for a loooooooooong time. I mostly build WW1 and WW2 German aircraft, and spaceships.

My name is Jim Botaitis, and I operate JBOT DECALS at www.jbot.ca. I have been making my own decals for about 30 years, but only started selling them via my website about 10 years ago. However, if I can help any of you with your decal needs, feel free to contact me at jbot@rogers.com.

I am also willing to help anyone with decal questions, problems, etc.

Jimbo
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:21:07 AM by JBOT »

December 14, 2010, 10:58:24 AM
Reply #169

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • majorwilliams.blogspot.com
Hello. I am new to the FICHTENFOO message board, but I have been modelling for a loooooooooong time. I mostly build WW1 and WW2 German aircraft, and spaceships.

My name is Jim Botaitis, and I operate JBOT DECALS at www.jbot.ca. I have been making my own decals for about 30 years, but only started selling them via my website about 10 years ago. However, if I can help any of you with your decal needs, feel free to contact me at jbot@rogers.com.

I am also willing to help anyone with decal questions, problems, etc.

Jimbo
Pm'ed for questions!
Check out my blog for my latest projects and tutorials - http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com

July 22, 2011, 03:12:14 PM
Reply #170

psecody

• Information
    • View Profile
Sorry if this has been asked before but I've searched high and low and still came up empty. I've got a 1/144 HGUC Ez8 Gundam from when I was a little kid and since I'm a poor college student I'm just going back and painting up all the old kits I have to keep me busy in between new models. Anyway I royally screwed up the waterslides or decals that came with it and used some/ threw some away and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could order a replacement sheet, an after market sheet of generic EFSF 08th MS Team decals, or even dry transfers for this kit? I have no clue who makes aftermarket stickers and no real clue as to where I should be looking for them either. Gundamstoreandmore is the only place I found any decals at. HLJ would probably be where I want to order from but I don't know where the decals are hidden, I couldn't find them on there anywhere.

Thanks for any ideas guys, I appreciate it.

July 22, 2011, 05:00:02 PM
Reply #171

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
Sorry if this has been asked before but I've searched high and low and still came up empty. I've got a 1/144 HGUC Ez8 Gundam from when I was a little kid and since I'm a poor college student I'm just going back and painting up all the old kits I have to keep me busy in between new models. Anyway I royally screwed up the waterslides or decals that came with it and used some/ threw some away and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could order a replacement sheet, an after market sheet of generic EFSF 08th MS Team decals, or even dry transfers for this kit? I have no clue who makes aftermarket stickers and no real clue as to where I should be looking for them either. Gundamstoreandmore is the only place I found any decals at. HLJ would probably be where I want to order from but I don't know where the decals are hidden, I couldn't find them on there anywhere.

Thanks for any ideas guys, I appreciate it.

Search bar is an amazing invention, I highly recommend its use  ;)

http://www.samueldecal.com/

That's the defacto aftermarket decal place.  Learn it.  Live it.  Love it.  Use it.

Also, try Ebay.  Seller globaltoy has a TON of decals for stuff I haven't seen anywhere else (such as a set for HGUC Dendrobium).  I actually ordered the Dendro set, and the ink on one side of the sheet hadn't printed correctly; even though I've already left feedback in the positive they're sending me a replacement sheet.  Good service, especially for them being in China (or was it Hong Kong?)

http://shop.ebay.com/globaltoy/m.html?_nkw=gundam&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

July 23, 2011, 09:51:52 AM
Reply #172

psecody

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks I really appreciate it, I think these will work fine.

July 23, 2011, 09:54:25 AM
Reply #173

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
Yes, Samuel Decal is by far the best there is.  He'll even create custom decals for you and his prices can't be beat.   :lol:

September 06, 2011, 05:31:23 AM
Reply #174

ackra

• Information
    • View Profile
Anyone have an idea if water decals will be released for the MG Epyon anytime soon?

March 01, 2013, 01:35:15 AM
Reply #175

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
Any tips on weathering decals? I'm probably going about things the completely wrong way with my process, ha ha...

I'm making an axe... going to have a giant Autobot logo on it. The axe is already weathered (first attempt at using the hairspray technique, also, which was fun)...

Nevermind the gloss on the decal. I snapped the pic before the decal set had dried.

- Alty
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:37:19 AM by Altitron »

March 02, 2013, 01:22:20 PM
Reply #176

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
Well, what I tried ended up failing miserably. BUT! I did get a much nicer weathering effect. No more decal left, though. Ha ha.

I'm assuming my process should follow as thus:

Primer > Base coats to show up during weathering step > set decal > seal with Future > hair spray > paint layer base coat > weathing > final seal (gloss, matte, etc).

I'm still worried about unintentionally damaging another decal. They get expensive to make. :P Can anyone provide tips, tricks, pointing me in a different (i.e. the CORRECT) direction? Thanks! :)

- Alty