Author Topic: Spray Booth Lighting?  (Read 2376 times)

September 25, 2009, 01:25:54 PM
Read 2376 times

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I recently purchased a Paasche spray booth, as it's starting to get cold outside here and I would like to keep working on my models.  Lighting in the room it's going to be in sucks, though, despite all of my efforts to put more lights (I'd swear there's a black hole somewhere in the room).  I'm wanting to get some kind of light to put in the booth to help my eyes see what's going on.  Any recommendations as to what to be looking for?

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/booths_hssb.html

The first booth (the smaller, cheap one) is what I got (well, will get, whenever the LHS gets it in for me.  Probably Monday).

September 25, 2009, 02:01:01 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
is it sheet metal? You could always cut a slot in the top and use a pre-wired fluorescent light.

September 25, 2009, 05:11:55 PM
Reply #2

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
is it sheet metal? You could always cut a slot in the top and use a pre-wired fluorescent light.

I'm pretty sure it is sheet metal, but I don't have the equipment or know-how to cute a slot in it.  Trying to find something I can screw/adhere to the top inside of it.  I was at wal-mart today and did find a few options; a 13" fluorescent undercabinet fixture, or some 6" LED ones, or some round LED fixtures.  The neat thing with the LED ones is they have magnets in them so would be easy to attach and detach.  I'm just not sure how bright any of them are though, which is why I didn't purchase anything today.

One other question as far as the safety aspect.  Assuming the suction fan is going good, will I have to worry about the fumes being ignited due to the lighting, once I figure out what to get?

September 26, 2009, 12:30:48 PM
Reply #3

makalaka

• Information
    • View Profile
    • More of A blog.
I did A quick google search and found this thread.
The first post actually has the same spray booth and magnet lights you're looking at.
http://cs.finescale.com/forums/982511/ShowPost.aspx

September 26, 2009, 03:18:16 PM
Reply #4

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
As long as you have sufficient air flow, you should be safe - but I can't make an estimate on what sufficient airflow is...

October 10, 2009, 02:07:21 PM
Reply #5

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
Well, I got the booth put together last weekend, and found a 13" Fluoro light that fits well (took a while to figure out how to get it attached, however).  Ended up getting some velcro tape to the top of the booth and the light, and it lights the thing up pretty well no matter where it is located (even on the outside lip, it still lights up the entire inside of the booth).  Got one of the long LED lights, too, but 1) it doesn't do anything to improve lighting conditions and 2) the adhesive on the magnet backing doesn't stick to the light, so it keeps falling off.

I think I'm going to try one of the round ones they had at the store and see if that will work any better.  Maybe put the LED one above my couch, so I can see to do some snapping while watching TV  :)

Now, to wait for Paasche to figure out why the drier duct attachment is an inch or so too large in diameter to attach to the booth....    *shakes head and sighs*