Author Topic: 1/20 Gans Salvage Ma.k Diorama  (Read 33112 times)

June 10, 2015, 12:49:08 PM
Reply #60

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Cheers Shark!  :-)

Just a quick update, got the sleeves done on the guy

And gave it a blast of primer to bring it all together

Didn't realise til the primer showed it up, one of the short sleeves was actually a rolled up shirt sleeve, which created a weird dip, rather than try to blend it out with greenstuff or filler I simply made an armband to cover it

Then I moved back to the legs, removed the flare from the other leg, and then used greenstuff to make the bottom of the trousers

So next up I can begin painting him and begin modding the other guy, so more flare cutting and greenstuff sculpting to come!

Thanks for looking, more soon :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 12, 2015, 12:22:51 AM
Reply #61

Hemish

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katoots.com
Very nice, is there anything you can't do?

June 12, 2015, 08:20:41 AM
Reply #62

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
He can't fly, I think.

June 15, 2015, 06:15:53 AM
Reply #63

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Very nice, is there anything you can't do?

Multi-task!  :lol:  Appreciate the kind words Hemish

He can't fly, I think.

For now...  :shifty:

Its a nice day here so I've just finished a long session in the sunny shed  :)

Started work on the second guy, started by shaving off his flares like the first guy, not going for a disco look!

He's having a winter hat, there is a baseball cap in the race team set but the guy it fits on to doesn't match with the pose I'm after so I sawed the top off the torso piece I chose to fit it on.

And after some sanding and shaving down of his ears and hair it fits a treat

Now its time to winter him up a bit, and at the same time cover up a little of the not so great face of the figure, by giving him a scarf and a fold down flap on his hat.

With this guy I've just given him turn ups on his trousers to show where they end and shoe/boot begins

And I decided at least one of them should be armed, and I found a 1/20 holstered gun from a votoms scopedog pilot so glued it on and made a greenstuff leg strap

The squatting guy needs some filling between where his torso meets the legs, so i pressed in some greenstuff, forced them together and smoothed and blended it it in with my sculpt tools

Trimmed off a couple of mold seams I'd missed from his legs too and then gave him another hit of primer

Also I made a radio for him out of some magazine box bits and some very thin brass rod for an aerial

Made a small start on painting his face, using the inside out method, so starting with an off white for the eyes which I also used to coat the face as a light undercoat, and started t put in some shadows and highlights, again this is very rough and just an undercoat for whats to come with the face

So for now this is where the figures are at

Also wanted to get more done on the base, so I glued in the blue foam bits that support the main bits, carved out my old mine crater, and then got the main bits in too

Phew so lots done today, next up I'll continue on the figures and use some wall filler for the big gaps between the blue foam pieces.

'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 17, 2015, 04:01:43 AM
Reply #64

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Disco will never die, Hunter. Never.

June 17, 2015, 06:32:34 AM
Reply #65

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
I can shave off the flares, but I'll never shave off the spirit!  :lol:

June 19, 2015, 12:00:00 PM
Reply #66

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Update! Got my base smothered with wall filler to fill the gaps ready for my groundwork mix

While that cures I got the arms on the guy with the scarf round his face and primed his legs and torso

Then I used some greenstuff to give him some sleeves like I did with the other guy

Then I went back to the squatting guy and got down the basic colours

And made a start on the other guy, got his legs painted

Next up I'll get the guys torso painted and then stuck on the legs, then I can flat coat both figures and use pigments for shading and weathering. Once they are finished I can get the groundwork mix sorted and get it all stuck down.

Looking to have this finished in by next weekend, so its all systems go!

Thanks for looking, more soon  :-)

June 21, 2015, 11:50:06 AM
Reply #67

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Okay managed to get a good session in the shed today, so made good progress with the build.

Started by putting the final touches on the squatting guy, just used to some pigments to add some shading and dust and sealed it

Then made a start on the other guys torso, putting down the basic colours and shading with pigments, and put the finishing touches on the legs too and got him together.

And I've just noticed he kind of looks like he's in the middle of doing the robot!

Hey remember the truck?? Did a bit of recycling and took some 1/20 stowage from another dio I did (my first) and placed them in the back

Now its time for groundwork, started by sifting some fine dirt and collecting some small stones

Then in a dish I put some sand and dirt with some african earth and graveyard dirt pigments

Squidged in some acrylic matte medium and a little water

Then gave it all a damn good mix, used a little more water to get it to mix evenly then tightened it back up a by by sieving in more dirt

Took an old brush and started spreading it over the base till its totally covered

And finally got all elements in place! just pressed everything into the dirt and used the same brush again to push more of the dirt mix around them to ensure when it drys its all solid.

Used some old roots to add some detail, it all looks pretty stark at the minute but when dry there will be plenty of grass added too

Then I wanted to add some stones to my riverbed, these will have be stuck down well ready for the resin water, so I mixed in some acrylic gloss medium into them, and then scooped them out and spread them onto the base.

So thats where I'm at for now, the finish line is in sight! All thats left to do is pigment the groundwork and add grass when its dry, and then the resin water and ripples when its cured and thats that

June 22, 2015, 11:02:10 PM
Reply #68

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Just a tiny update to show I've started progress on the grass and the clear gloss medium has locked my stones in place

For the grass I'm using the jute twine technique to make my own.

Today I'll be continuing with the grass and and I'll do the first resin pour, its not a particularly deep bit of water, but I always like to keep my layers as thin as is possible and practical to avoid any problems and keep the curing time to a minimum so I'll to it in two pours. And I need to do the mud up the side of the truck too.

June 23, 2015, 10:49:48 AM
Reply #69

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Yay, the resin pour! I'm always interesting in how these water pours turn out. I've seen you do it before, and it's always pretty badass :)

June 23, 2015, 11:39:29 AM
Reply #70

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Shark, resin pour imminent!  :-)

Another quick update, got the radio painted black, when its dry I'll give it a little dry brush with some light grey and then glue it in the squatting guys hand

Also mixed up another batch of mud and spread it over the sides and wheels of the truck then blew a little fine dirt over it, pretty happy with the results, when its dry I'll use some pigments to give it a dried on look

And finally got cracking with the resin! Not going to lie I just grabbed the cheapest clear casting resin I could find, some extra smelly polyester resin!

Weighed out 200 grams, the instructions say to use 1 or 2 % of catalyst so I grabbed a 3ml pipette sucked up 2ml of it and squirted it in, and also 4 drops of brown enamel paint for a dirty water effect, its not a swimming pool  :D

Carefully and slowly mixed it together to keep air bubbles to minimum

Then the scary bit, poured it on the model!

I'll mix up and pour a little more on top when its cured to get my desired water level, I'll also add just 1 drop of brown enamel paint, helps with the effect of depth. And also yet more grass Zzz.... Adding it tuft by tuft is pretty laborious but its getting there!

June 24, 2015, 11:13:18 AM
Reply #71

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Weeeeell it was good news and okayish not too bad news with the resin, after the instructions said it could take up to 5 days for the resin to cure and it will be tacky, it was rock solid when I checked it today and not tacky at all!  However there were some air bubbles around the edges and underneath where its shrunk a little and lifted from the bottom.

But I'm not too worried about that as they are okay, but will look even less noticeable when the ripples are added later, for now I've poured the second lot of resin, which filled the side gaps from the shrinking I mentioned, and I'm pleased with how it went

Also dry brushed the radio and got it glued in the squatting guys hand

And finally added some african earth pigment to the mud on the side of the truck to give a drier look, and made more progress with the grass

So its getting there, next I'll use gloss matte medium for the ripples on my river and then its just a matter of getting the grass down and some final details.

June 24, 2015, 04:40:02 PM
Reply #72

blacklotus

• Information
    • View Profile
is coming more and more to life ... great job, i like it :D can't wait to see it finished :)

June 25, 2015, 12:30:17 PM
Reply #73

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Cheers dude, neither can I!  :D

Another quick update, the second layer of resin has dried and there has been little to no shrinkage, so all the gaps that were filled with the second layer have remained filled with no problems which is great.

Which means I can get out the clear gloss medium and gloop on some ripples and small waves for the surface with a brush

And as the grass progresses I've started on one of the muddy grassy wheel tracks, wanted to give it a compressed grass look to show its gone a bit off road rather than being on some sort of dirt track

I can feel the finish line, but I'm trying not to rush it! Going to keep going with the grass, found some really nice moss in my garden which looks awesome for goundwork so going to add some of that too.

June 28, 2015, 10:42:29 AM
Reply #74

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
This is now complete! All final touches are done, decided against snow in the end, was so pleased with the foliage I didn't want to cover it or risk screwing it up!

Link to final topic - http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=7124.0