Author Topic: Squiggly beast (Tyranid Haruspex)  (Read 11062 times)

February 23, 2014, 02:38:36 AM
Read 11062 times

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Been a bit out of the modelling loop lately - Micky broke her ankle a couple of days before Christmas so my holiday time was mostly spent doing housework and generally rushing around. I've not progressed the handful of things I was working on although I did prime the parts for a Moebius Bat-Pod. Anyway, serious danger of modeller's block setting in so I thought I'd better do something easy/fun. Hence this recent Games Workshop kit of a Tyranid monster - the Haruspex.

Flickr link

It all went together quite well and I primed it with decanted Tamiya white primer. Some filler was needed and I must admit I haven't done a great job - I needed to spend more time in better light smoothing the expoy putty down. I sprayed everything with Tamiya acrylics (mainly deck tan and medium blue) including all the blends on the horns and the mouth colours.

Quite a lot of overspray in the mouth area, which was unavoidable really - too organic to paint in pieces, and too concave to paint together. I generally like the colours though, with inspiration coming from crabs, and people. I figure that using human-like colouring for the skin, bone and viscera will help with the whole body horror aspect :)

This afternoon I left the a/b in its box and started working on the carapace using sponges and drybrushing followed by glazes over the medium blue base. It's ended up looking sort of iridescent. The whole model is quite messy and I'm trying to figure out how neat I want it to be - too neat isn't organic enough, too messy just looks bad...

And this evening I've been working up the face and head a bit. The horn is still wet here but I think it may be getting a re-paint or at least some touch up work. I like the colour (tan->brown->black->blue) but it needs to be cleaner and better graduated than it is. The eyes and head carapace are OK though :)

I was sort of hoping to get this done-ish by Wednesday night for our club meeting, I'm not sure if I'm up to that based on tonight's progress but it's fun to be messing around with paint again after quite a long break.

Oh yeah - I forgot that I built this last November (in the space of about two weeks I think, just got it done in time for the club competition) and I don't think I posted it here? It's Trumpeter's Tu-160 in 1/144 scale, with a bit of Engels 2 strategic airbase to stand it on. My etched ladders finally arrived from Latvia so I can get this finished properly now.

White Swan on Flickr

Cheers,

Will

February 23, 2014, 09:22:01 AM
Reply #1

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
I really like the paint job on the Haruspex Will!

Looking at the last photo of the face, I can see what you mean about feeling a bit messy, but I think it looks very stylish (reminiscent of your Super Dungeon Explore minatures). The eyes especially, with all the cool shading, really make the face come alive. And thats a tidy job on the Tu-160, a very nice display piece.

Hope the missus is on the mend too mate
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

February 27, 2014, 12:44:45 AM
Reply #2

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Your miniature work never fails to impress Will, I really like the colours on the carapace, especially after the sponging :)

March 01, 2014, 01:32:43 AM
Reply #3

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks guys! I'm actually feeling slightly better about my painting skills looking at the pictures of the studio models in GW's little "pictures only" magazine which has sort of replaced White Dwarf. Being able to see other peoples' brush strokes is quite reassuring, I wonder if it's printed at a higher DPI than the old WD?

I had a fun week - instant flu, bed rest followed by weak-as-a-kitten recovery. It's a good way to lose weight though!

I am more-or-less back to normal now and after some time outside I've done a little bit more on the beastie this evening:

Flickr link

I tidied up with a brush around all the carapace edges to remove the blue overspray, ran a line of red wash around them (I like the idea that the skin is raw under the armour, like a broken nail) and then slapped on some brown wash and removed it with a wet cotton bud. This was with acrylic washes, so the removal and blending options are limited but it let me preserve some of the light skin without needing to paint over it again completely.

I also re-drybrushed the bony ribcage bit to get it as dry and powdery-looking as possible, and attached the front legs after removing the paint from the ball joints and cups with a cotton bud soaked in lacquer thinner. Highly effective :)

I've also stared on the huge number of horns and the crab claws, which I think should be made of the same stuff. I sort of like how these look except I hate the blue highlight - what was I thinking?? - so that will have to go. Perhaps grey?

I'm trying to do all this slightly repetitive stuff before going back to do the fun face bit, else I'll never get it done :)

Cheers,

Will

March 01, 2014, 10:44:48 PM
Reply #4

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Fixed the blue and I think it's much improved:

Flickr link

I also added a couple of loose highlights to the skin, painted and washed the "vents" so you can see something a bit more raw underneath, and then applied a healthy Eastenders orange glaze to all the skin to bring it together:

I like the idea of all the different bits of the beast giving the impression that it's in robust health rather than being all pale and sad-looking :)

Unfortunately the wet glaze cracked the dark wash on the body, so all the little dark holes appear to have cracks in them. Shouldn't be too hard to fix this, plus I need to clean up the vent edges and given them one final go of the purple.

Not too much left on the body now - the bony protruberances and the horns/claws are the main things I think.

Will
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:45:36 PM by Will Vale »

March 02, 2014, 01:35:19 PM
Reply #5

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Those claws look seriously good dude, and i like how it looks with the orange glaze
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

March 03, 2014, 01:48:23 AM
Reply #6

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks! There's probably some good eating in those claws. Not that I would touch a crab with a barge-pole :sick:

Tonight was my wife's craft night so I brought my lamp down and sat and worked on the horns and such in company. This shows the bone extensions at the tops of the legs which have had a bit of dry-brushing. I also mixed up some translucent crab-meat pink and spattered it around the insides of the edges of the carapace so it looks a bit more finished in there.

(click for bigger)

Having worked my way around all the claws painting streaks of different browns shading into black and grey I was able to get to the head for a while. I did the same sort of thing to the outer jaws, and shaded and fiddled with the blends and muscle ropes a bit. The lower-middle jaw is still not great but that one was really deep in the overspray region.

I think with any luck that when I add some blood splatter and meaty chunks to the maw, the additional contrast will help all the dodgy blends recede and look smooth to the eye again.

Will

March 04, 2014, 01:23:10 AM
Reply #7

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Nearly done now! I reworked the front horn into a more pleasing tone and also did some work with highlights and washes to define the mouth-tentacle-blobs a bit more. I need to clean up the teeth again since they always seem to get in the way when reaching into the inner parts.

embiggen

then I thought I might as well put the bits together. I had to take a little plastic off the back of the head to get it to seat against the body properly, otherwise it went quite nicely. The tongue is still loose so it'll be less droopy when I pin it in place properly.

Lots of touch-ups to do now - those teeth, plus there are various spots where paint got scraped off (OK, I accidentally scraped it off) the edges of the carapace while test-fitting the limbs. I've done some dusting and fluff-chasing but it needs more before I can varnish him.

I've taken a picture on the base GW supply, which is presumably game-legal. It's a bit small!

My existing 40K chaps are on the GW bases, with a sort of grey rock and gravel finish:

but there aren't enough of them to force me to go that way. I think the Tyranid might look quite good on a jungle base, with weird alien plants and flowers? I do have a friend to put with him which I haven't built yet, so it's worth bearing that in mind as well.

Will

March 04, 2014, 07:32:04 PM
Reply #8

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Resident member of the Pixie Symphony.
  • Information
  • "I will kill you so dead right now."
    • View Profile
Lookin' good!  This brings me back to when I used to be in that hobby.  I have since moved on to cheaper ones, like diamond collecting and gold-snorting.
Seriously though, this looks great.  For all the crap I give Games Workshop about their prices, I will admit their sculpts are just absolutely gorgeous.  You're definitely doing the model justice.
I do other things, too.

March 05, 2014, 12:16:14 AM
Reply #9

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Wow Will that looks great! Look forward to seeing the "friend"  and I like the sound of the alien planet base

March 11, 2014, 11:02:45 PM
Reply #10

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Cheers chaps, sorry I haven't managed to get back to this for a while - been busy with real life this week.

I totally agree about GW prices being insane, they're particularly bad over here in NZ. I dread to think what it'd cost to have an army! I do like the plastic kits though - they're just so nice to put together and some of the designs are excellent. Have you seen the new Imperial Knights?

My big gripe with a lot of their four-legged models is that they all have big heads and small bottoms, big front legs and small back legs. I think it's a forced perspective "make maself look BIG" thing, and having got the Haruspex together the curve of the back and general flow of the shape are really nice, but it's still a bit off.

W

March 26, 2014, 08:59:25 PM
Reply #11

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Well after a fun week in San Francisco for GDC, I managed to do the touch-ups, varnish the beast and apply the gore.

Flickr link

I used the Alclad Flat and Light Sheen varnishes (which were fantastic, apart from the crappy frangible bottle caps) on the body and carapace respectively, then applied some Gloss Kote to the mouthparts and tongue.

The gore is a mixture of Tamiya Clear Red and Games Workshop's "Blood for the Blood God" paints, flicked on or blown off a brush with an airbrush, like AFV mud spatters. I added some thicker "chunky" gore mixed from Blood Red, Scab Red and sand textured gel, and a bit of heavy gloss gel as well.

That mostly went on the inside of the mouth and end of the tongue:

I'm pretty pleased with how this came out. It's always hard to tell if something is overdone until you take the pictures, but there are a lot of nice fine splatters and some thicker stuff. I've generally aimed to keep the gore inside the mouth, so that the offal/viscera-coloured tentacles would still be visible:

Some of the transitions are a bit harsh so I may revisit this after I make a base. No progress on that yet, but we live in hope.

I also need to do another de-fluffing pass. I keep finding bits, I think because my office was a bit dusty (lazy boy) when I was doing the washes, and they're very sticky...

Cheers,

Will

March 27, 2014, 05:46:30 AM
Reply #12

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thats some evil looking gore Will! Nice job

Also thanks for mentioning your spatter technique, not heard of blowing off a brush with the airbrush, I'll use that on an upcoming muddy dio I have in mind

March 28, 2014, 02:18:31 PM
Reply #13

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Not my idea - I got it from an AFV mag, I forget which one. It's much easier to control than flicking the brush and you can get a very fine spatter by turning the air pressure up. FWIW I like to aim the airflow and pass the brush through it rather than the other way around.

As with all things, practice on scrap paper first :)

Will