Author Topic: Doktor Orpheus Odonata's Dragonfly (Odonopter)  (Read 6515 times)

July 31, 2013, 01:12:53 PM
Read 6515 times

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Hi All,

Here's my latest flying insect model kit design. This one was a lot of fun to sculpt. I started off with some rough sketches as usual, then I had a friend (Christophe Desse) do the thorax in 3D for me based on my plans as that'd be a difficult shape to sculpt otherwise. I also had to source some 1/2 sphere clear glass for the eyes. All I could find were the flatter cabochon which wouldn't work as well here as it did for my Hornet. (The original Hornethopter will be back next month as well for a 4th run.) This one's nicely sized with a 14 inch wingspan. I may do another Hornet and add these to some shadowboxes like pinned insects to hang on my wall... if my wife allows. LOL!

http://industriamechanika.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=45

And here's the photoetch I designed for the wings and rigging brackets. Also the detail behind the eyes, the feet, etc... A producer friend of mine, Uschi Van Der Rosten makes a blackening agent for brass which will work wonders here. Depending on how long it's left in the solution, it'll range from brown to dark-blue/black and it acts fast! I just used it to age a brass nozzel for aspitting Moai (easter-island head) fountain I just finished.

July 31, 2013, 02:45:28 PM
Reply #1

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Rather fancy one of these, the insane "IMA IN MAH LAGONDA" driving position is delightful.

July 31, 2013, 06:57:10 PM
Reply #2

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Always a fan of dragonfly inspired designs!

July 31, 2013, 11:03:54 PM
Reply #3

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Cool design! I like the rear seating position, very original
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

August 02, 2013, 11:17:10 AM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Thanks guys!

http://industriamechanika.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=45

Don't blink and don't bother trying to keep up. Doktor Orpheus Odanata's Dragonfly is the fastest ornithopter in the skies. Designed and sculpted by FichtenFoo (Michael Fichtenmayer), creator of the Hornethopter, Fantastical Fish-Sub, and Long-Nose Fish Sub, the Dragonfly will add a great touch to any steampunk display. This kit boasts an impressive wingspan of 14 inches (35cm) and a length of 9.5 inches (25cm). Like the Hornethopter, the wings are two layers of photoetched brass with a laser-cut plastic wing-film insert. This multimedia kit comes with the following:

40 Resin Parts
    1 Pilot Figure
    4 Photoetch Frets
    Glass Eyes
    Laser-cut wing film
    Rigging Wire
    Detailed Instructions

For a limited time, save $10 when you order a set of Aviators with your Dragonfly.