Author Topic: 1/24 Extreme Turbine Combat Racer - Kitbash (now with better pics!)  (Read 10421 times)

December 10, 2012, 06:24:48 AM
Read 10421 times

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Photobucket zapped all my photos, photos of all my builds can now be found on flickr here: - https://www.flickr.com/photos/149967113@N08/albums

And this is a link to my latest sci-fi sculpture build - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234996371-16-spacebase-2000-inspired-astronaut-sculpt/&page=1

EDIT: Improved the photos by adjusting the white balance, should have done this to start with really!

DONE!!  :-)

This is my 1/24 Extreme Turbine Combat Racer, its a kitbash using various kits I gathered, the main body of it being a Porsche 956.
I wanted to make a combat race car, but not the post apocalyptic 'Mad Max' type or stock car 'death race' type, more like the futuristic Formula 1 of combat racing, high technology big budget well organised and sponsered racing.

So the thoughts behind it are each craft has plasma cannons it uses to drain the shields of opponents before attacking with missiles, of which you are limited to six, and a rear turret which can defend against missiles but can only be used 6 times, so its more strategic combat racing.

This build has been stressful and a challenge at times but I'm very glad I pressed on with it as sure there are a few things I might do different if I started again, but overall I'm very happy with how it came out. Thanks to everyone who followed the WIP your advice and comments helped me get this one over the line!  :D

So here it is...

Here is a link to the WIP - http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6657.0

Only slight thing with it is the windows went slightly cloudy when I sprayed on the future, so you cant see as much as the pilot and interior as I would have liked but Like I said I'm very happy with it, all questions and comments welcome, thanks again guys!  :-)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:16:18 AM by Hunter Rose »
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

December 10, 2012, 12:01:42 PM
Reply #1

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Wow, congratulations! I think that looks great. For some reason I'd imagined the wings further back but this makes way more sense. As you said, they provide the transition between the fairing and the engines quite nicely. The Tau parts (which have the potential to stand out if you know the range) look just right for the job and fit in properly with everything else too.

I also like the rather old-fashioned sponsorship decals on the futuristic shapes - "Esso Super Oil" indeed :)

Will

December 10, 2012, 02:23:05 PM
Reply #2

Sticky Fingers

• Frankensteiner
  • Information
  • Stickier than thou
    • View Profile
Congrats, man! Very, very cool. Now I'm going to build something similar and if we can get enough contestants we can have a race, yeah? :D Grand Prix de Fi-Foo :razz:
"Hang on a minute, lads, I've got a great idea!"

December 10, 2012, 07:40:54 PM
Reply #3

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
Yes, I want to build a future racer too. I already have one abandoned attempt, so maybe a second try will do!

Looks great! I am really happy with how it turned out, especially the front end which seemed so mysterious for so long. Great work sticking to it! I look forward to your next project. Anything in mind?

December 11, 2012, 12:17:29 AM
Reply #4

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Wow, congratulations! I think that looks great. For some reason I'd imagined the wings further back but this makes way more sense. As you said, they provide the transition between the fairing and the engines quite nicely. The Tau parts (which have the potential to stand out if you know the range) look just right for the job and fit in properly with everything else too.

I also like the rather old-fashioned sponsorship decals on the futuristic shapes - "Esso Super Oil" indeed :)

Will

Thanks a lot Will! Hey, 'retro' is big in the future! :lol: and you know but my favourite part is still the tau drone head that is used as the shield generator on top, I've always been drawn to the tau drones I just really love their aesthetic (if that doesn't sound too pretentious!  :-) )

Congrats, man! Very, very cool. Now I'm going to build something similar and if we can get enough contestants we can have a race, yeah? :D Grand Prix de Fi-Foo :razz:

Totally Sticky that sounds cool, first man around Neo-Tokyo wins a hundred guineas! :lol: Cheers dude! Look forward to seeing your future project

Yes, I want to build a future racer too. I already have one abandoned attempt, so maybe a second try will do!

Looks great! I am really happy with how it turned out, especially the front end which seemed so mysterious for so long. Great work sticking to it! I look forward to your next project. Anything in mind?

Thanks Nick, yeah build one mate, join the race :lol: Yeah I wanted to keep some surprises for the final reveal :-)

My next project is to resurect my 1/6 The Crow build, that will be a breath of simple fresh air after this one!
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

December 11, 2012, 02:50:45 AM
Reply #5

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
This turned out magnificent!

I too thought the wings were going to be placed further back, but I really like where they ended up at. It looks just right. The contrast with the engines isn't so strong now and it really goes well together.

We should definitely get our own racing league started.

Also, that swivel base is ace.

December 11, 2012, 03:49:30 AM
Reply #6

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
Good thing you have improved photos. There is still something messy with white balance.
This is such a beauty that deserves beatifull photos!

I've been with this bulid since the beginning and I'm very happy how this turn out. Congrats!

December 11, 2012, 05:20:40 AM
Reply #7

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
This turned out magnificent!

I too thought the wings were going to be placed further back, but I really like where they ended up at. It looks just right. The contrast with the engines isn't so strong now and it really goes well together.

We should definitely get our own racing league started.

Also, that swivel base is ace.

Thanks Shark! I have to say the more I look at it the happier I am with it. The stand is pretty cool it came with the tau piranha, which is one of the donor kits, and its surprisingly stable, even at dynamic angles, so that was a bonus.
Yeah maybe we can all build our own racers, convert them to slot cars and make a huge track!  :lol:

Good thing you have improved photos. There is still something messy with white balance.
This is such a beauty that deserves beatifull photos!

I've been with this bulid since the beginning and I'm very happy how this turn out. Congrats!

Thanks Jiloo! Yeah after I put the photos up I remembered your advice from my krote/polar bear build and then just fiddled around with the white balance to sort them out!  :-)

December 11, 2012, 07:05:43 AM
Reply #8

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
Once again. Engines are amazing, and overall Eva-01 feeling is great.
I've enjoyed watching WIP and like final result very much. Hope to see more from you soon.

December 11, 2012, 10:15:34 AM
Reply #9

thejurasikfrank

• Information
    • View Profile
What a piece of junk!

December 11, 2012, 08:52:23 PM
Reply #10

Hemish

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katoots.com

December 12, 2012, 12:40:26 AM
Reply #11

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Once again. Engines are amazing, and overall Eva-01 feeling is great.
I've enjoyed watching WIP and like final result very much. Hope to see more from you soon.

Thanks again mate, appreciate the kind words, and there will be plenty soon, I have many projects ready to go I just need the time!  :lol:

A-W-E-S-O-M-E  :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Thanks Frank!  :-)

That is pure awesome right there

Cheers Hemish!  :D

December 22, 2012, 05:24:17 AM
Reply #12

nico

• Information
    • View Profile

January 02, 2013, 10:31:56 AM
Reply #13

ultramini

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Ultramini!
Make Everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Galleries and WIP on Flickr!
My Blog (in italian)

January 02, 2013, 12:46:42 PM
Reply #14

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile

January 03, 2013, 05:29:37 PM
Reply #15

wittmann

• Information
    • View Profile

January 04, 2013, 12:19:35 AM
Reply #16

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile

January 10, 2013, 10:08:08 AM
Reply #17

TaiidanTomcat

The engine detail alone makes it worth a second look! :-) off to check the WIP now...

January 10, 2013, 02:48:23 PM
Reply #18

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot dude, i did really enjoy working on the engines!

Hope you like the wip, i always try to be pretty thorough with them

January 15, 2013, 05:24:04 PM
Reply #19

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
Looks like something from F-Zero. I love it! :)

- Alty