Author Topic: Variety Grade ZZ  (Read 2837 times)

August 20, 2012, 12:08:06 AM
Read 2837 times

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
I have always been very inspired by a model build in the Dec 1999 issue of Hobby Japan. The kit is the Variety Grade Gundam by Takahiro Yamada, which is a complex kitbash of an HG, MG and PG RX-78-2 to create very unique proportions. It left a strong impression on me, and I look up to it as one of my favorite models ever.

Variety Grade Gundam: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2054/varietygrade1.jpg

Today I was building models with the local Gunpla club at an anime convention. On the table I had an SD ZZ and an HGUC ZZ I recently finished snapping. I became a little bored and tried kitbashing them together, and the result was so well received by people passing by I have decided to actually finish it.

This is how it looks at the moment, just tacked together. It is the SD head and torso, with HGUC for the rest.

I also have an MG ZZ, which I plan to use the lower half of the legs off the MG, and the shoulder armor/binders from to help balance it out.

August 20, 2012, 12:40:29 AM
Reply #1

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
I like it! Interesting concept, looks like a gundam mascot!  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

August 22, 2012, 10:57:05 PM
Reply #2

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
Thanks Hunter! Usually I don't build the actual 'Gundams', but the ZZ is my favorite. As long as it doesn't turn out like a bobble head I will be pretty happy :)

I have added the MG ZZ parts. After trying a couple combinations, I have settled on using the shoulders, feet and backpack from the MG kit. So the part separation reads like this now:

SD ZZ - Head, torso
HGUC ZZ - Forearms, skirt, legs
MG ZZ - Shoulders, binders, backpack, feet

I am considering using the MG front skirt... but for the most part I am happy with how it is looking.

August 22, 2012, 11:13:14 PM
Reply #3

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Good choice of parts, all the zz pieces have really balanced it out well, it now certainly doesn't look like a "bobblehead"  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

August 25, 2012, 12:41:33 PM
Reply #4

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Oooh, this is a really cool idea.

The mix of parts is really working well here, but to me there's something about the arms that somehow feel more 'off' here. I think it might be the hands. Consider using the MG hands on the HGUC forearms (Or the SD's, I don't know what those look like)? I think that might level things out.

If you wanna go crazy you can put the MG's giant beam saber handles on the HGUC backpack :D

August 27, 2012, 03:42:27 PM
Reply #5

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
Thanks again Hunter, I'm glad to be clear of that first hurdle.

Oooh, this is a really cool idea.

The mix of parts is really working well here, but to me there's something about the arms that somehow feel more 'off' here. I think it might be the hands. Consider using the MG hands on the HGUC forearms (Or the SD's, I don't know what those look like)? I think that might level things out.

If you wanna go crazy you can put the MG's giant beam saber handles on the HGUC backpack :D

Thanks for the advice Sharkdog, I would up taking all of it. I spent the weekend at another con with the model club and left it on display as a wip. Lots of people commented on it, and some people asked me where they could buy the kit  ^_^ But spending so much time looking at it, I decided to put in the HGUC backpack again. Then for giggles I put in the MG beam sabers, and I actually like how it turned out. I was on the fence about the MG hands, mostly because the MG ZZ hands aren't very good. It could have gone either way, but I figured if the MG beam sabers are going to be on it, then it will need the bigger hands to wield them!

Here it is with HGUC backpack, MG beam sabers and MG hands. I also added the shoulder-vent-things from the HGUC, and the front red cockpit hatch piece from the HGUC. Instead of using the whole MG front skirt I also put in just the protruding parts from it. I'm excited that so much detail is going into it successfully, and I'll need to find some better replacement MG hands for it.

I contemplated adding the 1/144 FAZZ beam cannon, but in the end I decided that it is a ZZ and not a FAZZ, so that didn't make sense. However, I think it could use a weapon...

Conceptually, I think I am going to build a junkyard themed base for it. Judau, the ZZ pilot started out as a junkyard MS scrapper before being a pilot, and then also since this kit is made up of other kits the junkyard idea works again.

Slow progress, but lots of hmmm-ing and haaa-ing.

August 28, 2012, 12:43:58 PM
Reply #6

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Glad to be of service :D

After seeing the new pictures, I think I like the MG backpack on this more though :P The hands looks good now though! You can always try to get a set of Mechanical Hands if you're looking for something with more articulation or somesuch (as you said you didn't like the MG ZZ's hands): http://www.hlj.com/product/YLSPPC-T81
There's also the Bandai Builders Parts, but I'm not sure if these are just fixed pose or articulated: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN976502

The junkyard base sounds pretty good to me. I never really got to see much of the ZZ show myself, but I remember the junkyard collecting stuff, and the Zeta Gundam with the Zaku head :D

November 24, 2012, 09:45:34 PM
Reply #7

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
Wellps, I got a 'real job' and moved in with my girlfriend, so the ZZ got put on hold. Now I am getting more organized and had a chance to work on it a little. I got those 1/100 Builders Parts hands, and they look pretty good. That was the last major obstacle, so I look forward to making some progress. Hopefully this little post will get me going again  ^_^.

Next to the MG ZZ hands.

The only thing now is that I am thinking maybe I want to be a little more traditional and go with the smaller head... but I need to find it first!

November 25, 2012, 11:36:33 AM
Reply #8

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Aww man dont ditch the head! I love the big head look  :D

Looking good Nick