Author Topic: The Crow 1/6 Resin  (Read 7497 times)

February 12, 2013, 12:27:45 PM
Reply #20

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Right so its time to start sorting the base, which is actually pretty dam bad! One side corner looks very warped, guess it was a problem with mold, but its a mess in general as if lots of resin spilt on the sides.

So rather than take ages trying to tidy it and accept the warped corner I'm just going to saw them off and have flush sides which I'll sand down and paint black.

I also got a red wash onto the trousers, using white spirit and oil paint, not sure if it shows but it is noticeable.

Okay so next im going to finish sorting the base and then drill holes in the soles of the feet and the base to attach the figure.

Thanks for looking more soon
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:30:09 PM by Hunter Rose »
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

February 20, 2013, 02:20:28 AM
Reply #21

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
He's coming on nicely. Must be a bugger to work with something that big though - is he heavy?

Also, you mentioned something about a 1/100 Gundam project earlier in this thread (unless I dreamt it) which sounds intriguing - can you share more? I've been thinking about a mini-dio with a Gundam repurposed as something more like a Labor, but I'm not sure if it would mean changing the scale or making the construction project *really* big.

Will

February 20, 2013, 06:02:30 AM
Reply #22

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Will, yeah very big more awkward than heavy! Hes about a foot tall probably weighs about 2 kilos, its solid resin.

No you didn't dream it, my upcoming 1/100 gundam dio is basically going to be a patrol of troops backed up by an anti tank APC fighting along a road past a bombed out building that a desert schemed RGM-79 Ground Type is going to be taking cover behind with its beam sniper rifle as if providing cover. I've got the 1/100 apc and some 15mm troops, I just need to finish this project so I can crack on with it.

I really like the sound of your repurposed gundam, my first dio which I posted here was of a repurposed Votoms Scopedog into a junkyard car cutting machine - http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6351.0 Its nice to throw your imagination at these things and come up with something really original.

As for the base, sides are now off so I have primed it, drilled the holes in it and the crow to attach some copper wire

And now currently I have just drilled out the holes in the base and after some test fitting added some aves into the holes then placed the figure in so when I glue it finally it will be a tight fitting hole for the wire. I also added some texture mediium to bild up the area around the back foot a little.

Im really chomping at the bit to get this done so I can assure you there will be more updates soon, thanks for looking  :-)

'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

February 25, 2013, 06:30:12 AM
Reply #23

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Okay so more work on the base, started by giving it an all over coat of black, and masked out the edges

Then I just sprayed some brown here and there to get a patchy varied look to it

Followed this up by painting a mix from a wet pallette of brown, ochre and a little red on some details

Then went over that with various mig pigments, europe dust as a mid tone, old rust and graveyard dust as a dark shade and some light rust to add a few highlights here and there.

I want this to be a mossy woodland floor so I mixed up some moss using a technique I've seen Fich use from a guy call Par Olav. You basically mix up some white glue with woodland scenics turf and some green acrylic paint and a little water and you can then use a toothpick spatula or whatever to blob clumps of the gunky mixture on.
This is just the first little patch, Im planning on having a lot of it across the base, which once dry will be highlighted with a lighter green.

well its getting there! Thanks for looking more soon  :-)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:27:46 AM by Hunter Rose »

February 25, 2013, 08:45:17 AM
Reply #24

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
Impresive work.

February 26, 2013, 05:55:13 AM
Reply #25

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Jiloo!

Moss is pretty much done, once its all dry, like I said i'll dry brush it with some lighter greens.  I'm really happy with how this turned out, the moss is so simple to do but looks really effective.

I think this will probably be the last update until completion, all I have left to do is the final tweaks to the moss and then attach the figure once I have the crow on his shoulder, so fingers crossed it will be done very soon!  :-)

February 26, 2013, 07:23:17 AM
Reply #26

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Your groundwork is always amazing, the moss looks great and all the different shades on the groundwork is all great. How do you decide where to apply certain pigments, and are the mig pigments hard to use?

February 26, 2013, 01:07:29 PM
Reply #27

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Shark, appreciate the compliment!

As for my pigment placement, I use them to shade and highlight, and to add variation and depth to colours. So its as simple as putting darker colours in recesses and lighter on high spots. Also, for example, on the wood I'll add some darker and mid tones just to break up the colour, and add a lighter colour for dust and yet more variation over the top. As for where to put actual colours on a flatish base like this, I just try to keep it random to add visual interest.

I'm pretty loose with my use of them, which is because they are very forgiving and ridiculously easy to use, and you'll get amazing results instantly, first time I used them I couldn't believe I hadn't used them before and I cant recommend them enough. The best thing is if your not happy with them you can just wipe them off with mineral spirit, and when you are once fixed they are FIXED.

March 02, 2013, 02:03:03 PM
Reply #28

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
All done! Drilled the holes in the shoulder for the crows legs and attached it, and made some feet with some aves.

Link to the completed gallery http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6836.0

March 16, 2013, 01:26:31 PM
Reply #29

Astronopolis

• Information
    • View Profile
That moss technique is really cool. Is it useful in smaller scales as well?

March 18, 2013, 05:38:34 AM
Reply #30

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
That moss technique is really cool. Is it useful in smaller scales as well?

Thanks dude! I guess you could use it in smaller scales, now I think about it I've only used it on 1/6 projects, but I think you could get away with using it down 1/35 although it may end up just looking like grass at smaller scales! But still useful.