Author Topic: 1/48 Gundam The Origin Bust.  (Read 2831 times)

July 27, 2012, 02:44:49 PM
Read 2831 times

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I suppose I'm getting a little out of hand, this being the third WIP I'm posting without actually finishing (or making much progress!) on the others, but I'll take the plunge anyway.

I picked this up a while ago during my time in Japan. It was a pack in for the Gundam Ace magazine late last year.
It's a really easy build, except it's all just one colour plastic, so there's some paintwork ahead.

Bonus was that when you picked up Gundam Ace the month after, it came with a beamsaber pen that would actually fit on the back of this

That was all fine and dandy, until I put it together.

Something seemed off. . .

(FYI, the Beamsaber pen is in there, the pen part is just hanging off the table so you can't see it)

Have you ever seen the Gundam with it's beamsaber sticking straight up out of the back?

Yeah, me neither.

And with that one thought I've already accepted the challenge haven't I?

So basically, I'm setting out to redo parts of the back on this bust. When I decided to get to work on that, I didn't really feel like destroying the perfectly fine beamsaber pen just so I could use the handle.

So I got a bunch of different sized styrene tubes and started on a new handle:

Being relatively new to scribing, getting the panel on the front of the tube to look correct, took a lot of work. I've had to redo it about three times, but I'm not at a point where I'm pretty happy with it.
I've still got a little bit of work to do on the handle, but I'll be pulling out the epoxy putty for that (just to smooth some of the edges). Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Since I was scribing, I moved on to the head for a bit. I've glued the 'helmet' together and puttied up whatever seamline there was left after that. The back of the head is nicely paneled, but for some reason the panel is cut off abruptly on the side of the head.
Came up with a design I was happy with, and finished up the panels (mirrored on the other side, of course). I'm quite happy with how they turned out:

The head was engineered to basically be one piece entirely. The inside of the head included the vulcans and 'sideburn vents'. I ended up cutting all of those off so that after I glued the helmet, I could slide the face in from the bottom. I glued the vulcans into the holes where they belong, and the vents have handy pegs on each side that I can just click them into. That'll make painting them a lot less of a hassle as well I hope.

I've cut off circles on the back that would fit the beamsaber, and covered up the hole with styrene. I'll still add something interesting to the empty space, probably some rods and panels. I've also started some work on the sheath for the beamsaber, which you can see here (this is after I cut off the round sheath pegs, but before I covered them up):

Already looking much better, no?

Now you might be asking yourself why I'm not making two beam handles and sheaths at the same time. Well, there's an explanation for this. . .
This particular bust is of the Gundam RX-78-02 from the Gundam The Origin manga, the re-imagination of the original Gundam. In my research of this particular version of the Gundam, there was one glaring detail that kept popping up, that most definitely set it apart from the original version.

That being this:

(Images courtesy of whatever website watermark they have)
(These particular shots are of the Metal Build RX-78-02 which is also the Gundam The Origin version)

In this re-imagined story the Gundam is often seen sporting a swank shoulder cannon. As this little (big?) detail is what sets this version of the Gundam apart from practically all other versions I know, the decision to give this bust the very same shoulder cannon was quickly made.

Now I haven't started on the cannon yet at all, but I'm sure it'll be an interesting challenge!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:49:39 PM by Sharkdog »

July 28, 2012, 11:32:12 AM
Reply #1

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Nice!

Looks like your off to a great start Shark! Will be following with interest that looks like like a really cool gundam bust, cant wait to see your work on the shoulder cannon, its going to be huge!
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

July 28, 2012, 11:49:30 AM
Reply #2

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
This is a great project! The beam sabre already looks better. I hope you are planning on sharpening the V-fin, that will definitely add to it.

Not sure about the cannon. Maybe because I am an RX-78 purist, but I don't see it fitting on the shoulder in 'down' position (heavy mods planned?). I'm sure you will be the first guy to do it though, and that makes it worth doing. I'm following this with great interest. Keep it going!

August 05, 2012, 09:24:29 AM
Reply #3

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I'm planning to have the shoulder cannon sitting in kind of a halfway down/diagonal position. I think that'll work best in composition with the rest of the bust, myself. Of course, we'll see if that's actually true :)

Did some more work this week.

I covered up the holes that were originally on the back (for the beamsaber pen) with some styrene. Then I added some rods to it, so they don't look like two big empty spots on the back.
I also glued the sheath onto the right side of the body, but I still need to do some puttying work on it. You can also see some extra panel lines I've started on on either side of the body on the plates behind the 'headlights'

The rods were easy to bend, but hard to get right, so that took me a couple of tries..

I've also started to design the shoulder cannon:

I started by taking some of the images of the 1/100 Metal Build Gundam The Origin and comparing the Beam Rifle to the one from the 1/100 RX-78-2 Ver. Ka and the 1/144 RG RX-78-2 that I have. Once I had those matched up, I deduced the measurements of the 1/100 version of the Shoulder Cannon with all kinds of scientific hoo-hah. Which means that one of the pictures that I'd found that showed both the beam rifle and the cannon of the 1/100 MB next to eachother, it was fortunately practically the same size as the 1/144 Rifle if I put my ruler up to my screen ;).
I found a nice scale converter calculator online on a website about building scaled dollhouses, but unfortunately that website seems to have since disappeared. Luckily I got the rough calculations out of the way and found that the cannon would come to at least 150 mm from one end to the other.
Most of the other smaller measurements are just guesswork at what I think will look good, and I can still tweak things along the way.

So I busted out the styrene pipes (I've got a plethora of different sizes now, that I got when I started on the beamsaber) and decided to get started on the barrel:

I then took some 5x5mm rods and cut a piece down to 4mm wide, which I then started fashioning into the 'sights' at the front of the barrel:

The part coloured black is what I've filed off to get it to the shape of my design.

I've used another smaller tube cut down to lay over the top of the barrel, to become the 'bar' that runs over the top of the barrel. I'll probably tweak it a bit more.
Here's the filed down 'sight' and the bar on the barrel:

And a frontside view of the sights:

What I've done at the front of the sights, I glued a few square rods to the front so that there is a sort of inlet or 'eye' that could house a camera or targeting lens. I then filed that down again so that the inlet isn't that deep (when I stuck rods on, it was 2 mm deep).
After I did that, the inside of the inlet was kind of scraggly, and I wasn't very happy with it. I glued some bits of 0.5 mm styrene to the inside walls, and I'm very pleased with how that turned out!

August 05, 2012, 10:39:54 AM
Reply #4

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Nice work Shark! Your off to a great start with that cannon its looking really great
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

August 20, 2012, 12:57:07 PM
Reply #5

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • majorwilliams.blogspot.com
Shark Dog I always love your wips.  Keep the juicy details coming!  Love your work thus far.
Check out my blog for my latest projects and tutorials - http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com

November 24, 2012, 01:12:15 PM
Reply #6

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
Sharky's WIPs sure do take their time - but the results are worth it  :)