Author Topic: 1/24 Extreme Turbine Combat Racer - Kitbash  (Read 40572 times)

July 23, 2012, 01:30:10 PM
Reply #40

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Haven't had much modelling time over the weekend, did manage to make a start on the front beam cannons. Was originally planning on gatling guns for the front but I figured such a technologicaly advanced racer which has energy shields would have energy weapons.

Made them out of the jet engines of a tau piranha

I just white tacked one on the front to see how it looks, and I'm happy with it, I'll probably block off the smaller hole and add a little detail to it. Next to them will be 3 missile ends sticking out, which I will make out of some sharpened styrene rod

As you can see, some of my filler chipped off when sanding so I've put some more squadron over for a second round of sanding when dry.

Thanks for looking guys  :-)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:33:46 AM by Hunter Rose »
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

July 23, 2012, 02:18:18 PM
Reply #41

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
They look good to me, I like the chunkiness in contrast to the sleek bodywork.

I wonder if they might fit better in the outer slot rather than the inner slot of the weapon pod though, so the fairing shape would match the gun? Mind you, that would be mechanically dodgy since their imaginary power lines, support etc. would need to be routed past where the missile exhaust would go...

You could also try them at the bottom with what's currently the RH edge facing down?

July 24, 2012, 01:41:43 AM
Reply #42

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
They look good to me, I like the chunkiness in contrast to the sleek bodywork.

I wonder if they might fit better in the outer slot rather than the inner slot of the weapon pod though, so the fairing shape would match the gun? Mind you, that would be mechanically dodgy since their imaginary power lines, support etc. would need to be routed past where the missile exhaust would go...

You could also try them at the bottom with what's currently the RH edge facing down?

Cheers Will! Yeah I inititally put them on the outside because like you said it fits the shape, but having the missiles on the inside just didn't seem right. I like the idea of having the cannons at the bottom (or even the top) its funny I never thought to flip them round, I'll see what that looks like when I'm next in the shed
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

July 24, 2012, 02:02:04 PM
Reply #43

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I'd like to add that your thinning putty with acetone tip is quite the lifesaver. I've found that the Tamiya Basic Putty that I use tends to dry real quick after it leaves the tube, making it hard to get stuff done with it. I got my hands on some acetone and it definitely buys me the necessary time to get it applied :)

July 26, 2012, 08:19:10 AM
Reply #44

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
I'd like to add that your thinning putty with acetone tip is quite the lifesaver. I've found that the Tamiya Basic Putty that I use tends to dry real quick after it leaves the tube, making it hard to get stuff done with it. I got my hands on some acetone and it definitely buys me the necessary time to get it applied :)

Its also good to breath life back into my old putty thats gone a bit too stiff!

And speaking of putty had a chance to smooth out my second round of putty, and its gone much better, I'm really pleased with how it looks

ALso drilled some holes into my control dash board ready for lighting

Its all coming together, I'm trying hard not to impatiently get the cockpit in until its all sorted in terms of wiring and I'm sure where everything is going! But I am now finally past the 'oh crap what have I started stage' and feeling like I've got this build by the scruff of the neck.

Need to get some styrene tube and rod to make a start on the missiles, then I can get the guns attached, still undecided whether to have a lip around the weapon pod face or just leave it flush. hmm will think about that.

Cheers for looking more soon  :-)

July 26, 2012, 04:58:45 PM
Reply #45

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
This thing is cool. Really fine workmanship too. :-)

July 28, 2012, 12:04:05 PM
Reply #46

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks John!

Had a pretty productive afternoon modelling today, decided I would put a lip around the weapon pods, it just wouldn't look right withought, so I got some styrene coated wire and bent it to shape, which was surprisingly easy, which was then stuck on with liquid cement.

Got the putty out again and started to fill a lot of the details on the body that I dont want, like the bit on the front for attaching a towing hook and the roof vent aswell as the little hole for the windscreen wiper to go into, they dont need wipers in the future! :-)

Then put some putty onto the weapon pod trim ready to blend it in to the body once cured

Also wanted to get on with the missiles, got  some tube that fits the styrene rod I also grabbed today. I'll be using the rod to make my missiles, I was a little unsure about how to make my missile ends which will be sticking out of the weapon pods, so I just decided to go for the power tools!

I cut sections of my rod, tightened them into the end of a drill which I put in my vice, then turned it on, locked it on, and just shaped it with a file and 300 sand paper, and smoothed with 1200 sand paper

It worked a treat, they aren't all 100% identical, but I'm really happy with them!

Then once I've cut the end pieces down I'll cut the styrene rod into thin sections to add a bit of detail, and to look like the end of the missile tube they are sitting in

So now I just need to wait for the putty to dry so I can sand it all down then I can affix the weapons.

Mores soon guys thanks for looking  :-)

July 28, 2012, 04:58:46 PM
Reply #47

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Resident member of the Pixie Symphony.
  • Information
  • "I will kill you so dead right now."
    • View Profile
I thought about doing something similar with a drill press for a lance for my Qubeley project.  Do you have any tips for the lathe-simulation process?
I do other things, too.

July 29, 2012, 12:40:32 PM
Reply #48

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
I thought about doing something similar with a drill press for a lance for my Qubeley project.  Do you have any tips for the lathe-simulation process?

To behonest its really straight forward, obviously the styrene is quite soft so dont press too hard with the file/sandpaper, just let the drill do the work or it will start to go uneven, its just common sense really nothing special, although dont do what I did and tighten the vice too tight and crack the drill casing!  :lol:

Only other thing I would say about it is dont try and just hold the drill in your hand and press it onto the file, its really hard to get it symetrical like that and much more difficult to control the shape accurately.

Just a small update, sanded down all the putty work and got it all smooth, it may need another going over if any slight imperfections come up when its primed but I'll deal with that then.

Hopefully I'll be back in the model shed soon, thanks for looking  :-)

July 29, 2012, 03:59:15 PM
Reply #49

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
That makes me want to build a lathe with an old corded drill.  ^_^

Great looking project, I love the Porsche shape.

July 30, 2012, 11:10:38 AM
Reply #50

struschie

• Strahl Demokratische Republik
  • Information
    • View Profile
Yesc- I love the body work...!!!
Cannot stand for the next update - 'hope you'll get some time soon! My popcorn's ready ;)

July 30, 2012, 11:57:11 AM
Reply #51

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
That makes me want to build a lathe with an old corded drill.  ^_^

Great looking project, I love the Porsche shape.

Thanks dude!

Yesc- I love the body work...!!!
Cannot stand for the next update - 'hope you'll get some time soon! My popcorn's ready ;)

Cheers struschie! I promise I wont make you wait too long!  :lol:

August 01, 2012, 04:54:10 AM
Reply #52

wittmann

• Information
    • View Profile
 :yeah:

........I follow with great interest..... 8)

August 02, 2012, 11:34:53 AM
Reply #53

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Glad your liking it wittmann!  :-)

Just a small update, I primed the contol unit and the body of the combat racer

I'm so pleased to get some primer down to bring the shape together and get a sense of the final machine!

Have to say as well, I think I'm seriously considering not lighting this, this is an ambitious project anyway for me, and I think the slow nature of this build is because the lighting issue has got my brain in knots! And I dont want this project to end up as a dust gatherer just for the sake of ambition.  So I'm going to have a serious think about that.

More soon guys thanks for the interest  :-)

August 02, 2012, 12:18:26 PM
Reply #54

struschie

• Information
    • View Profile
Good decission on the lightning issue: Do it that way! You'll have more fun on it being finished w/o lights than shelfed and screaming: You'll never finish me ;)

Primer shows great first shapes - some more filling and sanding, but great blending on that areas. Keep it coming!

August 02, 2012, 01:17:02 PM
Reply #55

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Good decission on the lightning issue: Do it that way! You'll have more fun on it being finished w/o lights than shelfed and screaming: You'll never finish me ;)

Primer shows great first shapes - some more filling and sanding, but great blending on that areas. Keep it coming!

Thanks struschie I needed to hear that, yeah, its official this isn't going to be lighted so I can just crack on with it and stop dragging my heels.
And yeah, its back to the sandpaper! Next job will be a little more filling and sanding.

August 06, 2012, 11:33:19 AM
Reply #56

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Putty and sanding round 2!

Sanded down the putty I had spread over the imperfections shown up by the first spray of primer, used 320 sandpaper to grind it down and buffed out the scratches with 1200.

Was pleased with the second round of sanding, really buffed out the imperfections and shaped the weapon pods a little  more. Time for more primer to see how it came out.

Just a couple of smallish marks showed up that need sorting so layed down a little more putty.

Once thats dry I'll, sand buff and prime again to see how it comes out. Also going to finish the dashboard control unit so I can get the cockpit in and start work on the engines.

Thanks for looking more soon  :-)

August 06, 2012, 11:41:40 AM
Reply #57

struschie

• Information
    • View Profile
Good work and thanks for the update in the evening :)
I begin to love the shapes more and more :)

August 06, 2012, 11:50:58 AM
Reply #58

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks struschie! I was pretty annoyed how many imperfections showed up after the first primer spray, but now I feel like I've almost nailed it!

August 06, 2012, 12:09:51 PM
Reply #59

struschie

• Information
    • View Profile
Pictures are brutal - arent't they?