Author Topic: 1/24 Extreme Turbine Combat Racer - Kitbash  (Read 40618 times)

October 16, 2012, 01:53:02 AM
Reply #120

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
@ Shark, frank & Alty

Thanks guys appreciate the comments!  :-)

More work has been done on the racer

Started by masking out the hinge/connector part of the side fins

And giving them a coat of black alclad gloss primer before hitting them with some alclad steel

Then removed the masking tape, and I'm really happy with how it came out

Gave the rear plasma gun a blast of the same metalic treatment too

The engines got there first feel of paint, too, again I did the gloss black primer then the steel, but I didn't go too heavy with the steel as I want it to be quite dark, but I did spray some aluminium over it to lighten slightly and to just give another subtle variance in tone to my metallic finish.

I am going to add some handpainted detail, various washes and some cables, this is just step 1.

Then came the task of masking out the main racer body ready for its coat of green! Didn't want to go too crazy with the detail, as its going to have a ton of sponsor decals all over it, so I just kept to a centre stripe, the doors, and a the front of the weapon pods being purple. Once this is done I'm going to mask the edges and give all the purple details a black outline.

So next up will be more green paint for the racer!

Thanks for looking guys, more soon  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 16, 2012, 08:26:13 AM
Reply #121

thejurasikfrank

• Information
    • View Profile
Looking GREAT hunter  :yeah:

I specially like the engine cans, they look very promissing!

Cheers
What a piece of junk!

October 16, 2012, 10:01:23 AM
Reply #122

struschie

• Strahl Demokratische Republik
  • Information
    • View Profile
Cooool updates! The colors aren't mine - but nonetheless I'm in love with this beasty :D

October 17, 2012, 01:39:41 AM
Reply #123

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Looking GREAT hunter  :yeah:

I specially like the engine cans, they look very promissing!

Cheers

Thanks frank! I must admit I'm very much looking forward to fooling around with the engines

Cooool updates! The colors aren't mine - but nonetheless I'm in love with this beasty :D

Cheers struschie, I think by the time its finished you will love the colours too!  :D
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 22, 2012, 11:59:34 AM
Reply #124

struschie

• Information
    • View Profile

October 22, 2012, 11:24:18 PM
Reply #125

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Ready when you are :D

Okay well now your FINALLY ready struschie I can begin  :lol:

We now have green!

I then masked out a thin line around the purple detail at the front so I could give it a black outline

I didn't mask and spray around the doors because they have a deep indent around it which I will panel line  with some lighter fluid and black enamel paint.

Speaking of which, that was the next step for the rear turret pieces and the fins, after they had been sprayed with a coat of future, I miixed up some black enamel paint with some lighter fluid for a panel line wash which I smeared into the panel lines

Then after leaving it to dry for half an hour, wiped off the excess with some more lighter fluid on a piece of kitchen paper, and I'm very happy with how it came out.

The next thing I will be doing is panel lining the doors and then clear coating the racer ready for some decals, and I will be detailing and finalising the engines before attaching them.

Thanks for looking guys more soon!  :-)

October 24, 2012, 08:54:21 AM
Reply #126

thejurasikfrank

• Information
    • View Profile
This is looking great!
The panel lines are very sharp.
I have a question: why are you using lighter fluid ? does it have different properties then turpenoid (white spirits) ?

Thanks!
What a piece of junk!

October 24, 2012, 11:16:20 AM
Reply #127

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
This is looking great!
I have a question: why are you using lighter fluid ? does it have different properties then turpenoid (white spirits) ?

Thanks!

I was going to ask the same thing. Those panel lines look killer! What's your process?

- Alty

October 24, 2012, 11:17:05 PM
Reply #128

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
This is looking great!

Thanks!
This is looking great!

Thanks!

I was going to ask the same thing. Those panel lines look killer! What's your process?

- Alty

Thanks guys!

The benefits of using lighter fluid I find, are it flows really well, much better than other thinning agents I've tried, so you dont have to rub a lot over it like a wash it wicks down lines very well, you just need to have plenty of fluid on the brush and dab it on the lines and it does the work for you, the ratio I use is 60/40 paint to lighter fluid.

Plus lighter fluid thinned enamel paint dries very quickly, in like 10 minutes, so you can wipe off the excess and see your results very fast. Its a tip I picked up from the gundam guys, I think major williams was the first person I saw use it on one of his builds, and like I said just through experience I've found this technique gives the best results.

October 25, 2012, 04:05:03 PM
Reply #129

thejurasikfrank

• Information
    • View Profile
Wow! Great tip, thanks.

Cheers
What a piece of junk!

October 25, 2012, 06:18:10 PM
Reply #130

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
That black lining between the green and purple, really makes it pop. :twitch:

October 25, 2012, 11:28:46 PM
Reply #131

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Cheers guys! I'll be doing more work on this at the weekend, so there will be an update soon  :-)

October 28, 2012, 04:44:43 AM
Reply #132

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Update time! Been working on the engines.

Started by giving them a silver dry brush using humbrol enamel paint 11

And then picked out some details hand brushing red, brass and gold enamels

I'm really pleased with how that came out

Next up was attaching the engines, which was a real fiddly pain! But I'm pleased with the results, its finally starting to come together.

And a couple of shots with the engine case on, but not glued in yet

So next up will be sorting out the rear turret and the cabling for the engines

Thanks for looking guys more soon  :-)

October 28, 2012, 05:25:34 AM
Reply #133

struschie

• Information
    • View Profile
I indeed start to like the color ;) Pod Racer engines rock - yeah!
Will there be a cover above the transitgion to the engines or is this final?
 Would love to give this beast a ride...!!!!

October 28, 2012, 09:21:15 AM
Reply #134

thejurasikfrank

• Information
    • View Profile
Awesome  :yeah:

I really like the difference between the front and back structure, truly original.
Are you going for a light or heavy weathering?

Cheers
What a piece of junk!

October 28, 2012, 10:27:36 AM
Reply #135

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
This is looking awesome! I'd recommend some ailerons to build a transition from the sexy, sleek front-end of the racer to the gritty, industrial engines.

- Alty
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:28:07 AM by Altitron »

October 28, 2012, 08:32:26 PM
Reply #136

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
Oh wow, that thing is looking so sweet.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:25:39 PM by JohnLogan »

October 29, 2012, 12:13:09 AM
Reply #137

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
I indeed start to like the color ;) Pod Racer engines rock - yeah!
Will there be a cover above the transitgion to the engines or is this final?
 Would love to give this beast a ride...!!!!

I knew it!  :D
No no cover as such, but the turret and shield generator will be on the edge of the transition with the generator actually sitting half on half off the roof just to break up the harsh edge of the roof

Awesome  :yeah:

I really like the difference between the front and back structure, truly original.
Are you going for a light or heavy weathering?

Cheers

Thanks frank, weathering will be very light, want it to be fresh for the grid! Planning on having a high gloss finish with a mass of sponsorship decals.

This is looking awesome! I'd recommend some ailerons to build a transition from the sexy, sleek front-end of the racer to the gritty, industrial engines.

- Alty

Thanks Alty, I am toying with some aileron type ideas using more pod racer parts

Oh wow, that thing is looking so sweat.

Thanks John!

October 29, 2012, 01:57:37 AM
Reply #138

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I really like how you broke up the drybrushed metal with some detailed parts on the engines. Really makes a difference.

October 29, 2012, 02:50:59 AM
Reply #139

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Shark! Yeah it always amazes me how such a simple techniques can make such a big difference to the look and feel