Author Topic: BUILD OFF: Toymaker VS. DC23 -MG The-O II  (Read 12331 times)

March 05, 2011, 07:03:29 PM
Read 12331 times

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts

The title and the image above says it all... The TOYMAKER versus DC23 Face Off is all about our MG The O build. I figured in this post and this post that Kenny also plans to create The O II Hauer, I then thought to ask him if he is by any chance interested in a build off. Kenny aka Toymaker graciously agreed!

So this is set guys, Toymaker and I will practically start our project exactly on the first day of June 2011. We should modify the MG The O kit into a The O II Hauer and finish at the end of November 2011. We will be posting the WIPs in the forums in a span of 6 months and so the battle begins very soon.

No fancy rules or regulations so far, but we won't just modify the The O kit into whatever we fancy or just over detail it... we should basically modify the kit to make it look like the The O II Hauer version. Same base kit, same output, different style... this ought to be really interesting.

Thanks for dropping by guys! You could easily check updates about this Face Off by clicking on the versus banner on the right sidebar of my blog. Til' next post guys!

A little more read and tons of photos in my blog - http://dc23-mecharts.blogspot.com/2011/01/mg-o-snapfit.html

Thanks for dropping by! :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:52:39 PM by donc0023 »

March 05, 2011, 07:04:09 PM
Reply #1

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
I wanted to start on this project a bit for a couple of days now but I eventually gave in to the urge after seeing this thread at ZeroGunz! Initially Kenny Lim aka Toymaker and I agreed to build a conversion of the O II Hauer. Kenny eventually thought of creating and designing his own version as he mentioned in his post. Our initial take off date is June 2011, but I just had to ride the mood to at least build the basic shape of the butt.

I had a chat with Kenny earlier today and I asked if I could start building mine which is 3 months earlier than the original date. He told me it is ok but he can't start on his own yet, I just feel I had to ask his permission as I think working on it earlier than the agreed date would be cheating.

I won't be working much on this kit though as I still have a lot of other Gunpla projects. As I've said, I just have to ride the mood and at least build the basic shape of the butt of the O II Hauer. Anyways, this is made of a 1mm pla plate that was forcefully bended to form the shape.

a little more talk and more photos in my free website as usual - http://dc23-mecharts.blogspot.com/2011/02/toymaker-versus-dc23-face-off-wip-basic.html

Thanks for dropping by! Til' next post! :)

March 05, 2011, 07:04:57 PM
Reply #2

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
 UPDATE : Toymaker versus DC23 face-off WIP - basic butt shape a success!

I think more or else I was able to get the shape I was aiming for. I just need to pile pla plates or put putty on the damaged corners and sand it smooth and curvy. A visible crack on both sides will also need some reinforcement on the inside and a bit of putty work outside.

The main obstacle of the but is the big hole that I was luckily able to achieve. The layers of .5mm pla plates I added last night was able to make the shell really strong and thick on some of the crucial curved areas. I was aiming for the hole for the main engine block at the butt, much like what you see in the photo below...

A little more talk in my blog - http://dc23-mecharts.blogspot.com/2011/03/toymaker-versus-dc23-face-off-wip-basic.html

Thanks for dropping by! Til' next post! :)

March 05, 2011, 07:05:36 PM
Reply #3

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
As I've said, I can't really do much Gunpla during weekdays this month. My friggin' work schedule simply does not allow me too even hook up in Skype. However, I was able to apply some epoxy on the corners of the butt that needed some repair as seen in my previous post.

I was also able to successfully add a LIP around the edges of the whole butt. I simply forcefully glued a 3mm square Tamiya pla rod around the edges and applied epoxy with my fingers in between the butt and the square rod. After letting the epoxy cure for 3 days, I then sanded the square " lip " to make it round and also sanded the corners.

Their are still a few errors on a few parts but nothing a nice couple of layers of Tamiya putty would not fix. I also had to bore the holes for the Kotobukiya parts as I reinforced the innards with a thick layer of Epoxy. I highly doubt any modeling stress would deform this really hard shell of pla plates and epoxy now.

I apologize for the crappy out of focus photos as my camera is with my sister in law. This is the very same reason I cannot show some Zeta updates today but will surely take photos for tomorrow's update as I will have my camera by then. Anyways, here are a few more crappy shots of my butt...

Thanks for dropping by! Til' next update! :)

March 05, 2011, 07:34:17 PM
Reply #4

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Looks great so far - but the last image, it looks like the left side is at a different angle than the right side?  See this image:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:34:40 PM by fulcy »

March 05, 2011, 07:37:35 PM
Reply #5

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
@ fulcy, thanks! yeap... I think I will have to re heat it a bit or apply some more putty to correct.  If all else fails, will have to live with it. hehe  ;)

March 06, 2011, 04:02:37 AM
Reply #6

ZLuca

• I can't remember..
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kallamity.com
It looks AMAZING project, great choice :)

Don't worry about mistakes like that, It's Kobayashi, EVERYTHING is sweetly wrong, pure style :)

Luca

March 06, 2011, 07:06:15 PM
Reply #7

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
@ Zluca, Thanks a ton Luca!!! all your works will be my reference during the building of this behemoth. ;)

March 06, 2011, 10:11:08 PM
Reply #8

DrDazzle

• back to formula?
  • Information
    • View Profile
Good God. Best of luck, it's gonna be huge! Nice work so far.

March 07, 2011, 02:18:14 AM
Reply #9

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
@  DrDazzle, yeap... the sheer size looks like a diorama already. hehehe... Thanks for the encouragement sir, not really that confident I could pull it off. :)

March 07, 2011, 12:56:57 PM
Reply #10

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Massive skirt, love it!
Looking good, it seems like a real tricky shape to build!

March 07, 2011, 08:31:32 PM
Reply #11

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Cool!!! :-) a 1/100 The O Hauer versus competition... :-)

I can't wait to see the results.  8)

Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

March 09, 2011, 05:10:34 AM
Reply #12

5thluna

• No SD, No Gundam!
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • 5thluna

June 25, 2011, 07:51:00 PM
Reply #13

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
Thanks a ton guys! After 3 months I am resuming this project. Let the battle with TOYMAKER begin! :)

It's been 2 months since I posted my last Gunpla update and its been so long since I worked on this The O II project. In fact my last O II update was way back March 6. So I am super excited to be back so to speak! As much as I need to and want to work with my MG Zeta commission works, I felt I needed to shake off the rust by working with my personal project first before resuming to the commissions.

I used my T-Hobby chisels for the first time to do the panel lines of the O II butt. It came with 3 tips which are 1mm, .5mm and .2mm. I find the .2mm too thin for the design but it is perfect for other projects. The 1mm tip worked like a charm and the .5mm is just perfect for the normal panel lines.

I made a lot of booboos with the panel line and the panel line design is a bit rough and could be better. Well I was never a panel line guy anyways and It's really been a while since I worked with plastic. I needed to prime the butt to show you the panel lines better and I also needed to check for errors. A lot of errors to clean up but nothing a touch of putty could repair.
The rest of my excuses and more photos at my blog as usual - http://dc23-mecharts.blogspot.com/2011/06/toymaker-vs-dc23-wip-big-butt-panel.html

June 25, 2011, 10:46:38 PM
Reply #14

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
I am glad your still working on this project, I thought you forgot about it. :-) The panel lines look good, I like the way they turned out.

It's looking good so far, keep up the great work.  8) ;)
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

July 30, 2011, 07:33:45 PM
Reply #15

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
Here is a quick update!

I needed a quick Gunpla fix before working with my QEE commission work today. So I thought of finally setting up the diorama of my The O II build for my face-off with Kenny Lim aka Toymaker. Nothing original here actually... the concept is basically inspired from the winning wallpaper of Decay which won in our MAC forums anniversary wallpaper contest.

The MKII is about to punch the the O II while the huge behemoth seems to wait helplessly. I made the base out of ply board and some ply wood. After installing the copper rod that will support and keep the O in place, I then glued some diskettes just to get the feel of the overall composition.

The diorama is basically a sort of space hangar which crashed in the middle of the ocean. This diorama is actually smaller than my the Graveyard and is just 40 cm by 40 cm. Did not want to produce an overly huge base for the scene as I want more focus on the action taking place.

Most of my dios are boring and a bit static... so this will be my first dynamic looking diorama. Now let's see some pics...

Thanks for dropping by! Til' next update! :)

July 31, 2011, 02:02:10 AM
Reply #16

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Very cool dio concept, lt looks really dramatic!

July 31, 2011, 06:26:54 AM
Reply #17

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
Thank you sir! Hope It still improves as I go along the build. :)

August 02, 2011, 09:20:51 AM
Reply #18

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Looking DC dope so far !!! Nice stuff bro!  8)
Throw it Hard

August 19, 2011, 07:51:12 PM
Reply #19

donc0023

• donc0023
  • Information
  • ver DC23
    • View Profile
    • DC23-mech arts
THANKS as always people! :)

I am happy to show you a glimpse of my the O II diorama today. I worked on the staging of the diorama a while back and continued to work with the dio once in a while. I have done a handful of wrecked or damaged diorama with CD cases before as you can see here, here, here and here.

SO in a vain desperate attempt to produce something a little bit different than my previous hangar dioramas, I thought of making a wrecked colony which crashed in the middle of the ocean concept. So to kinda visualize the colony in the middle of the ocean, I painted the ocean with blue acrylic last night, just to see how the overall look would somehow look like.

See the links MORE talk and Photos in my blog as usual - http://dc23-mecharts.blogspot.com/2011/08/toymaker-versus-dc23-face-off-wip.html

Crits and comments are always welcome! Thanks for visiting! :)